EDMW Knife Collectors

Maddened

Reaction score
Actually--and I'm sure someone has asked this before--how come I can't buy a Bowie with a 7 inch blade but I can walk into Tangs and buy a chef's knife with an 8 inch blade? :D

Maddened

Reaction score
Never tried cos the kinds of knives that i order, never have enough money for more than one or at most two :(

But i can't see why there should be a problem - most probably you will just have to go down and collect. In my experience they send you a letter that says your items are with the police and you have to go to the place at cantonment to sign for them. Sounds like the kitchen knife definitely won't be an issue...the rest, as long as they're not of the types that are banned should be a simple sign and collect.
Ah thanks bro. Now I just have to wait a month or so... Knowing DX's shipping speed. :D

gossamer

Reaction score
Actually--and I'm sure someone has asked this before--how come I can't buy a Bowie with a 7 inch blade but I can walk into Tangs and buy a chef's knife with an 8 inch blade? :D

Well it's never really made sense to me either but I suppose if I were the government and I had to smoke something up my response would come along the following lines-

1) Purpose of the knife - Obviously the spirit in which a bowie knife is used is quite different from a chef's knife. The overall design and manufacture of a bowie blade is geared towards 'fighting' and other similarly violent applications.

2) Slippery slope argument - they have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise if they legalize knives, then longer knives, swords, etc. are just round the corner. And the Singapore government being the way it is, they obviously prefer to err on the side of caution - no matter how much of your freedom they take away in the process.

3) Practicality - The government can easily outlaw bowies, hunting knives, etc. that are longer than 6 inches without too many people kicking up any sort of fuss - just look at how small the knife collecting community is. So why not? Since it's always safety first with them. But if they tried to do that with chef's knives, there'd probably be some sort of culinary revolt.

At the end of the day though, to answer your question in the most direct way, how come you can't buy a 7 inch Bowie blade? Because gahmen say so - and you can't do anything about it except suck thumb. :mad:

Maddened

Reaction score
Good answer. Haha... Yea suck thumb man. We should get a few people together and start a line manufacturing chef's knives shaped like Bowies. That'll confuse them... :p

Maddened

Reaction score
CE_m1_photo.jpg

Nice... and expensive... :(

ComicBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did anyone experience customs seizure ?
i thought shipping knife is high risk in sg before

I believe Singapore Customs have become more pragmatic in what they allow or disallow into Singapore. It would seem strange if they do not allow such knives to come in and yet departmental stores are selling kitchen knives with longer blades. Essentially, what they realy want is for us to declare these items openly.

kaapuii

Reaction score
LOL ceramic bowie :s22:

The irony is very very seldom ppl use the kind of folders we collect to hurt someone, not to mention kill. These folders are too precious esp to us. More like collectors hurt themselves while playing with it. The folders I collect, I can't even bear to use it to chop a branch! Sim tia leh.
Hahahaha...

No one in the right frame of Mind will use a good and expensive knife to kill someone and then throw away man. Those morons and maniacs usually use kitchen knives if you read in the papers. Gangsters use chopper and parangs I guess.

For people like us, we buy, keep and admire the craftsmanship of the blades like a piece of art.
Maybe we'll EDC 1 or 2 cheaper ones for camping, hiking and fishing. BUT NOT THOSE THAT COST US A BOMB EVEN WITHOUT THE SHIPPING. THEY ARE TOO PRECIOUS.

Last edited:

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
If i were a ganster, i wouldn't even use any of my imported knives. Why should i when kitchen knives are cheap and avaliable everywhere =)

gossamer

Reaction score
Very true. Although i think if i were a gangster i would prefer a cheap folder over a kitchen knife - easier to carry and conceal and probably better shaped for stabbing.

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well it's never really made sense to me either but I suppose if I were the government and I had to smoke something up my response would come along the following lines-

1) Purpose of the knife - Obviously the spirit in which a bowie knife is used is quite different from a chef's knife. The overall design and manufacture of a bowie blade is geared towards 'fighting' and other similarly violent applications.

2) Slippery slope argument - they have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise if they legalize knives, then longer knives, swords, etc. are just round the corner. And the Singapore government being the way it is, they obviously prefer to err on the side of caution - no matter how much of your freedom they take away in the process.

3) Practicality - The government can easily outlaw bowies, hunting knives, etc. that are longer than 6 inches without too many people kicking up any sort of fuss - just look at how small the knife collecting community is. So why not? Since it's always safety first with them. But if they tried to do that with chef's knives, there'd probably be some sort of culinary revolt.

At the end of the day though, to answer your question in the most direct way, how come you can't buy a 7 inch Bowie blade? Because gahmen say so - and you can't do anything about it except suck thumb. :mad:

If they outlaw chef's knives... hoseh liao... I will be out of a job..... and you probably will see housewives go on the street protesting.... :s13:

Maddened

Reaction score
Ya man... Seriously I don't think I'll even test any knives. Not even just to slice paper. I just like the look of them...

And anyway... Nothing matches the portability and power of the Chinese chopper...

Available at all good kitchen supplies stores for 1/100 of the price of any of the knives we are interested in.

Last edited:

kaapuii

Reaction score
The problem with most people is that when they see a knife, even a small folder, they have this stereotype thinking that it is dangerous. And they will probably ask,"Wah! Why bring knife!? Want to kill who sia!? Wait police catch you then you know."
Kind of irritating cos knife is basically a tool for you put to good use.
Knives don't kill, only those who has the intention will use it to kill.
They deem collectors like us as violent people. Plus these ignorant fools think that our knives are cheap like theirs in the kitchen! To buy a good piece of folder also need knowledge leh. Not just anyhow click and buy.
Honestly, don't you guys agree that for each piece that we collect, it involves alot of research on the reviews, its material and finishing. Then after paying comes the waiting and anticipation. When shipped out worry package lost, when arriving scared kanna stopped by customs. Then worry when it finally arrived got defects and got to send back....
SO EASY AH COLLECT ONE KNIFE!? TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND...THINK AGAIN. OR TRY COLLECTING ONE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

That's why I don't want to let ppl know this little hobby of mine.
Luckily, my girlfriend now starts to understand after I explain to her the dynamics of my blades. She starts to learn how to appreciate and tell me which ones are nice.
Even got her a small folder as EDC.

Maddened

Reaction score
Woah... Saw some videos of the AK 47. Nice! I remember reading a couple of bros here have got it... Worth the purchase?

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
Power la! U made your girl appreciate knives =)
My mother used to be damn scared of knives and the idea of me collecting it. But my collection just keeps growing and she got used to it eventually.
Ak-47 is worth =)
I don't think the government will impose bans on 6'' bowie knives. Singapore practicies free trade, so as long as those knives are not used to break the law, the police will be ok with us owning it.

intermilansg

Banned
Reaction score
Power la! U made your girl appreciate knives =)
My mother used to be damn scared of knives and the idea of me collecting it. But my collection just keeps growing and she got used to it eventually.
Ak-47 is worth =)
I don't think the government will impose bans on 6'' bowie knives. Singapore practicies free trade, so as long as those knives are not used to break the law, the police will be ok with us owning it.

If they ban 6 inch bowie knive cannot get the ESEE Junglas liao :s27:

slayergut

Reaction score
The problem with most people is that when they see a knife, even a small folder, they have this stereotype thinking that it is dangerous. And they will probably ask,"Wah! Why bring knife!? Want to kill who sia!? Wait police catch you then you know."
Kind of irritating cos knife is basically a tool for you put to good use.
Knives don't kill, only those who has the intention will use it to kill.
They deem collectors like us as violent people. Plus these ignorant fools think that our knives are cheap like theirs in the kitchen! To buy a good piece of folder also need knowledge leh. Not just anyhow click and buy.
Honestly, don't you guys agree that for each piece that we collect, it involves alot of research on the reviews, its material and finishing. Then after paying comes the waiting and anticipation. When shipped out worry package lost, when arriving scared kanna stopped by customs. Then worry when it finally arrived got defects and got to send back....
SO EASY AH COLLECT ONE KNIFE!? TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND...THINK AGAIN. OR TRY COLLECTING ONE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

That's why I don't want to let ppl know this little hobby of mine.
Luckily, my girlfriend now starts to understand after I explain to her the dynamics of my blades. She starts to learn how to appreciate and tell me which ones are nice.
Even got her a small folder as EDC.

Nice, But its hard to get my gf to carry an edc.Got her a patterned SAK classic. she loves and carry that everyday. Cause of the butterfly decals and all.hahaha.

Regarding the topic of killing,i always say 'I can stab you with my pilot G1 and kill you anyway', afterall, the pen is mightier than the sword right?

slayergut

Reaction score
CK3607_1.jpg

CR_8306_1_800.jpg

I hope to get a mnandi soon.the tanto sebenza looks cool tho...Too bad can only afford one CRK probably for the next 10 years.HAHAHA

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.