IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

Reaction score
I heard the latest T420 is able to achieve 30 hours of battery runtime with standard 9 cell battery plus 9 cell slice battery.

If it is true it will be a jaw dropper...

nakorius

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like......maybe its because its the only notebook certified to be on the International Space Station? (according to wikipedia)...haha

They are reliable and durable (have used 2 ThinkPads, one T41 since 2003 and its still working, am using a T61p now) Though my T61p suffered a hinge break two years ago, there wasnt any more hardware issues. Excellent/comfortable keyboard (though again, depends on personal preference). No BSODs, works exactly how I want it to work all the time. A bit pricey, but great return of investment over time.

Some links here for further reading:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/sg/products/professional-grade/thinkpad/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

Thanks for sharing :)

Is there any place where I can pick up a T410 with good specs and at a good price?

An installment plan would be a plus.

I went to seeseelooklook but after making the "modifications" based on their price list against a model I saw in Funan, the price did not seem to have much or any savings.

gohkhm

Reaction score
Windows Vista is a joke of 'panoramic proportions' and its fortunate that Windows 7 managed to save the day. I also uninstalled the default vista that came with my T61p and was using XP until Windows 7 came about.

If the 9 cell + 9 slice is anything like the one from Dell, then its going to be a gigantic slab of battery (looks like a flat plate that slaps below the ThinkPad). Cant imagine the weight on that monster, but would be a boon if you are working in remote places where socket power is a rarity.

@nakorius - Yes, sometimes if the specs are close to the default, then you can consider getting from Funan as well. Though you need to take note that the warranty for the components you want them to change are not covered by Lenovo. Let me know the specs and I'll see what I can do for you.

Azrielsc

Reaction score
Have been using my T61 for the past 3yrs+ and have nothing but praise for it. Gave it a fresh update by upgrading to a WD 500GB Black and Win7.

Now really looking forward to the T420s, with its Sandybridge CPU, rapid drive tech, longer battery life and of course, compared to my T61, the lighter weight!

Fingers crossed!

nakorius

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windows Vista is a joke of 'panoramic proportions' and its fortunate that Windows 7 managed to save the day. I also uninstalled the default vista that came with my T61p and was using XP until Windows 7 came about.

If the 9 cell + 9 slice is anything like the one from Dell, then its going to be a gigantic slab of battery (looks like a flat plate that slaps below the ThinkPad). Cant imagine the weight on that monster, but would be a boon if you are working in remote places where socket power is a rarity.

@nakorius - Yes, sometimes if the specs are close to the default, then you can consider getting from Funan as well. Though you need to take note that the warranty for the components you want them to change are not covered by Lenovo. Let me know the specs and I'll see what I can do for you.

Hey Goh, thanks for letting me know! I'll come up with the list and PM you.

By the way, if I get a Thinkpad from you, can I still extend the warranty?

nakorius

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have been using my T61 for the past 3yrs+ and have nothing but praise for it. Gave it a fresh update by upgrading to a WD 500GB Black and Win7.

Now really looking forward to the T420s, with its Sandybridge CPU, rapid drive tech, longer battery life and of course, compared to my T61, the lighter weight!

Fingers crossed!

I am wondering if I should wait for the T420.

What would be your estimate on the price tag for it?

gohkhm

Reaction score
@azirelsc - Me too...I was eyeing the T400s when it first came out, but I told myself, "Ah yah...my T61p going strong, wait until spoil then get it..." one year past without incident, then the T410s came about, making me drool again. Once more I told myself the same thing and waited. Looks like I'll be stuck with my T61p until it becomes obsolete...it just doesnt DIE! Now i'm looking fondly at the T420s...boohoo

@nakorius - Can, but will be more expensive than to get it together when you buy it.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was offered a Thinkpad 410 when I went to Funan and I have never been a Thinkpad user.

Like to know and understand why a Thinkpad is better?
It is not commonly seen because usually only corps use Thinkpads. End user seldom because of the plain look.

But yes, they are indeed durable. My friend's Thinkpad flew off the desk after he accidentally tripped over the power cable. The laptop landed on the floor with a small scratch and no other damages.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@azirelsc - Me too...I was eyeing the T400s when it first came out, but I told myself, "Ah yah...my T61p going strong, wait until spoil then get it..." one year past without incident, then the T410s came about, making me drool again. Once more I told myself the same thing and waited. Looks like I'll be stuck with my T61p until it becomes obsolete...it just doesnt DIE! Now i'm looking fondly at the T420s...boohoo

@nakorius - Can, but will be more expensive than to get it together when you buy it.
Reward your trusty T61p with a can of coke for serving you well. :D

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard the latest T420 is able to achieve 30 hours of battery runtime with standard 9 cell battery plus 9 cell slice battery.

Is really not really that great. 9 Cells battery is very heavy plus you still have to put in another 9 cell slice battery at the DVDwriter position.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This is no joke. But the machine will weigh you down after souping up with those batteries.

gohkhm

Reaction score
Reward your trusty T61p with a can of coke for serving you well. :D

Hahaha..do you mean throwing a can at my ThinkPad or 'emptying' the contents from the can onto my ThinkPad? I think it will still survive either way! Maybe a CRATE of coke will do the job. Haiz...sad that I have to contempate inducing its accidental death.

@cscs3 - you mean the slice battery is an ultrabay 9 cell?!?

@nakorius - In general, it will cost more if you opt to purchase additional warranty after your original purchase.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahaha..do you mean throwing a can at my ThinkPad or 'emptying' the contents from the can onto my ThinkPad? I think it will still survive either way! Maybe a CRATE of coke will do the job. Haiz...sad that I have to contempate inducing its accidental death.

@cscs3 - you mean the slice battery is an ultrabay 9 cell?!?

@nakorius - In general, it will cost more if you opt to purchase additional warranty after your original purchase.
I mean "Emptying" the contents. I think slice battery is an additioal battery which sits behind the laptop like a port replicator.

gohkhm

Reaction score
W520 Announced

lenovo_thinkpad_w520.jpg

Wow...the specs of the W520 is out. 2GB of VRAM with CUDA. I guess it will be available slightly after the launch of the new T420

ThinkPad W520 Specifications

• Processor: Intel® Core™ 2.50GHz i5-2520M to Intel® Core™ 2.50GHz i7-2920XM
  • OS: Windows 7 Home Basic 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64
  • Display: FHD 15.6 inch 16:9, LED with Multi Touch Option
  • Memory: Up to 32GB DDR3 (4 x 8GB)
  • Weight: 2.7kg with optical drive
  • Dimensions – 14.68in x 9.65in x 1.26in
  • Ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports – 1 USB/eSATA Combo – 1 Powered USB
  • Multiburner Optical Drive
  • Dual digital microphone
  • Graphics GPU NVIDIA® QUADRO® 1000M 2GB VRAM with 96 CUDA CORES or NVIDIA® QUADRO® 2000M 2GB VRAM with 192 CUDA CORES
  • Slots 34mm ExpressCard and optional MMC Smart Card Reader plus ! full and 1 half Internal PCIe Slots
  • WiMAX/Wifi Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
  • WLAN, Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 or Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 – Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 WWAN, Gobi 3000 Sierra Wireless EV-DO/HSPA WWAN Minicard – Ericsson HSPA + WWAN Minicard – LeadCore TD-SCDMA WWAN Minicard – Huawei EV-DO WWAN Minicard
  • Hard Disk Drives, 160GB 7200RPM SATA HDD to 7200RPM 500GB SATA – RAID 0 or RAID 1 optional SSD Drives, 80GB Intel® Micro SSD for Rapid Drive Option – 128GB SSD 160GB SSD
  • Webcam 720p HD
  • Battery Life, Up to 10.7 Hours with 9 Cell Battery Dual Core i5-2520M, 128GB SSD Drive, Quadro 1000M Graphics or Up to 8.9 Hours with 9 Cell Battery

More details here: http://www.thinkpadtoday.com/the-th...-thinkpad-w520-review-beyond-superlatives.htm

Last edited:

Azrielsc

Reaction score
I am wondering if I should wait for the T420.

What would be your estimate on the price tag for it?

@ nakorius: Just bought a T410s for my boss and it was about S$2,900+. I believe the T420s would be around that range too. Ouch.

@ gohkhm: Whilst using the T61, saw the T410s and was impressed but I felt that it doesn't offer "enough" to upgrade over the T61. However, the T420s has a new processor, 3.0 USB, rapid drive, 720p camera, etc. Now that is definitely a laptop that I can justify to upgrade to!

Have been tracking this since it was announced during CES. Now waiting for it to be available on the US Lenovo website so that I can get my grubby hands on it. :) Thought of getting it with multitouch but it adds to the thickness, the display will suffer and the additional estimated cost of US$400. So will dump that option!

Fingers crossed!

omar

Reaction score
ThinkPad warranty upgrade program

Regarding ThinkPad Warranty Upgrade program, has anyone done it before?

Does it mean we can extend beyond 4 years if we are already on 4 years on site?

Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.