Question about NTU hall!

Jshen18

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This year, I will be entering NTU for my study! Looking forward to this new lifestyle. Hope I will enjoy my Uni life ^^

I am planning to stay in the hall. But I have very few friends stating in NTU hall. So I need some advices in hall stuff. Normally what you do in hall? And which hall is fun to stay in? I want to get into a fun hall! Is there any differences between each hall?

suangern

Reaction score
To know more people in your hall, join JCRC loh, and also their activities, sports, eating out, inter hall games.

The differences of different hall: location and canteen food quality. Hall 1/2 are older with toilets attached their rooms. Hall 3 and above are toilets outside rooms, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope you'll enjoy!

kcxdes

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This year, I will be entering NTU for my study! Looking forward to this new lifestyle. Hope I will enjoy my Uni life ^^

I am planning to stay in the hall. But I have very few friends stating in NTU hall. So I need some advices in hall stuff. Normally what you do in hall? And which hall is fun to stay in? I want to get into a fun hall! Is there any differences between each hall?

1st yrs are randomly allocated a hall so you do not get to choose which hall you want to stay in. The only thing you can choose is who your roommate is IF you have a friend who is also a 1st yr student OR you have a elder sibling of the same sex who has to qualify for a room as your roommate.

Every hall will have their own activities such as supper hops, night cycling etc besides the usual block supper. Some have hall productions etc as well. You can also choose to take part in interhall competitions in sports or recreation games of which Hall 3 is usually the sports and overall champ while hall 9 is usually the recreation games champ but of cos such championships only stay with the halls if they continue to get good players to help them win the games.

Jshen18

Reaction score
1st yrs are randomly allocated a hall so you do not get to choose which hall you want to stay in. The only thing you can choose is who your roommate is IF you have a friend who is also a 1st yr student OR you have a elder sibling of the same sex who has to qualify for a room as your roommate.

Every hall will have their own activities such as supper hops, night cycling etc besides the usual block supper. Some have hall productions etc as well. You can also choose to take part in interhall competitions in sports or recreation games of which Hall 3 is usually the sports and overall champ while hall 9 is usually the recreation games champ but of cos such championships only stay with the halls if they continue to get good players to help them win the games.

If I don have a friend to be my roommate, they will randomly choose one for me right?

kcxdes

Reaction score
ya but it might be a tiong/neh

No, for 1st yrs usually will be with locals and foreigners with foreigners. Never heard a case of locals paired with foreigners for freshies UNLESS the initial roommate who should be a local pull out of the room and the person on the waiting list who move in happens to be a foreigner

Jshen18

Reaction score
No, for 1st yrs usually will be with locals and foreigners with foreigners. Never heard a case of locals paired with foreigners for freshies UNLESS the initial roommate who should be a local pull out of the room and the person on the waiting list who move in happens to be a foreigner

Is there a lot of foreigners in the hall?

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score

my friend random then he got a tiong. lol. not CSB.

kcxdes

Reaction score
my friend random then he got a tiong. lol. not CSB.

If 1st day move in already got AT then he has to be very suay cos most halls don't do that unless it just so suay that there is 1 odd freshie and 1 odd foreigner left out then llst lo.

SAO gives the hall office the list of residents, SAO won't count and assure the numbers are nice and usually the hall officers will do their best to match people as best as they can.

Talked with hall officers before and sometimes its the JCRC etc that 'helps' screw things up cos they will sometimes ask to swop people around to help those who attend hall orientation stay together etc etc

Last edited:

kcxdes

Reaction score

20% of NTU intake is foreigners, add in all the M'sians etc who got S'pore PR and are treated as locals in uni intake, you can except about half the hall residents to be foreigners since NTU has about 20k students and there are about 9000 beds in all the 16 halls.

Jshen18

Reaction score
20% of NTU intake is foreigners, add in all the M'sians etc who got S'pore PR and are treated as locals in uni intake, you can except about half the hall residents to be foreigners since NTU has about 20k students and there are about 9000 beds in all the 16 halls.

Wow! Sian sian sian

N-thraX

Reaction score
hey if you have any seniors or friends in the ntu halls can ask them to help pull you in one.

i was pulled in to my hall. of course u must be ready to contribute to the hall if u wanna get pulled in. (like good in sports play ihg)

Caulibeam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

there's definitely a lot.. esp after last year's massive COP killed so many sinkie applicants.

Just enjoy your hall lah... if you get hall 3 and 16, be prepared to pay for a much higher premium than say the other YOG halls are the old halls...

Jshen18

Reaction score
there's definitely a lot.. esp after last year's massive COP killed so many sinkie applicants.

Just enjoy your hall lah... if you get hall 3 and 16, be prepared to pay for a much higher premium than say the other YOG halls are the old halls...

Massive COP?

Caulibeam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hall cut off point... this year one was 17.... most singaporeans cannot achieve this at all.

kcxdes

Reaction score
Base on COP, its very unlikely locals will get a place so most will rely on recommandation list of which each hall can allocate 40 places to residents disregardless of their HAS pts.

Another way is simply to climb up in 1 of the constituent or tier 1 clubs and get into their management commitee as these people are also given a room if they want it.

Caulibeam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Base on COP, its very unlikely locals will get a place so most will rely on recommandation list of which each hall can allocate 40 places to residents disregardless of their HAS pts.

Another way is simply to climb up in 1 of the constituent or tier 1 clubs and get into their management commitee as these people are also given a room if they want it.

17 HAS. even tier 1 club difficult to save singaporean.

7pts distance + 9 pts mgmt comm still short of 1 pt (unless I chose to stay with foreigner which I didn't). End up 3rd round then got into 2nd choice :(

kcxdes

Reaction score
17 HAS. even tier 1 club difficult to save singaporean.

7pts distance + 9 pts mgmt comm still short of 1 pt (unless I chose to stay with foreigner which I didn't). End up 3rd round then got into 2nd choice :(

Management comm people get rooms the year they are elected regardless of their points. Not sure how whether the tier 1 clubs work similiarly but the constituent clubs work that way. However, they will have to wait till after the elections before they get a room and they do not have a choice of where or who they stay with.

The points given is for hall application the following year and not the year of service.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.