Question about Malacca

suangern

Reaction score
where are the cheap and good must eats??
1. Chicken Rice Balls (I prefer the coffeeshop stall in the middle stretch of Jonker Street), not 'heji', not "gu cheng".

2. Nyonya food
3. Satay celup "lok lok"
4. Seaside seafood stalls at Portuguese Village
5. Pineapple tarts/kuehs/pies
6. feel free add on...
7. ....

:s12:

writetodonkey

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Suangern is comprehensive.
Nancy's kitchen seems to be quite popular.
Satay lok lok is like a must have there.
Chendol as well.
I dont fancy the Chic lice ball though.
Instead, I prefer to eat the street food at the Jonker night market on every Sat night.

suangern

Reaction score
Yup, forgot still have all these desserts: ice kacang, cendol, "six taste soup", "eight treasure soup" etc.

takuyazzz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i tried nancy's kitchen, food was alright but i find it rather pricey for malaysian standards...

anyway tried beizhan before? heard some good reviews on it

valeon

Master Member
Reaction score
i tried nancy's kitchen, food was alright but i find it rather pricey for malaysian standards...

anyway tried beizhan before? heard some good reviews on it

If nancy pricey, beizhan also pricey. :s13:

Beizhan is just a restaurant with Tzi char.

eatrojak

Reaction score
where are the cheap and good must eats??

chicken rice ball.... avoid famosa at all cost. it's a tourist trap. the chicken rice ball is so hard and dry. the shop is very easy to recognise, it has the most elaborate design among the 3 chicken rice shops.

the other 2, hoe kee and chung wah, is safe to eat. they're both besides the big big 'san shu gong' shop right at the start of jonker street.

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
chicken rice ball.... avoid famosa at all cost. it's a tourist trap. the chicken rice ball is so hard and dry. the shop is very easy to recognise, it has the most elaborate design among the 3 chicken rice shops.

the other 2, hoe kee and chung wah, is safe to eat. they're both besides the big big 'san shu gong' shop right at the start of jonker street.

to me, their chicken is stiff (maybe kampong chicken), rice is acceptable, in rice ball pattern, rather sticky feeling

valeon

Master Member
Reaction score
Rong mao dim sum also not bad.. but remember to be there early!!

Rong mao has been there for at least few decades. Majority customers are old folks.

For dim sum, Ban Hong Xiang Tea House @ Jalan Gajah Berang is very famous too.

valeon

Master Member
Reaction score
Beizhan food is so so only, the only reason why people go to beizhan bcos their serving is very fast..

I visited Beizhan once @ its old premise. Now Beizhan has moved to new premise with much nicer decoration.

Dun think it's cheap as compare to local standard. :D

We have much nicer Tzi char here than Beizhan.

suangern

Reaction score
some shop behind the jonker street stage got sell, maybe you can request to taste the tarts before you buy.

valeon

Master Member
Reaction score
which shop sell nice Pineapple tarts?

Nice is quite subjective. :D There are more than 10 shops selling Pineapple tarts @ Jonker Street area. Try first before buy.

I personnally like the Pineapple tarts opp Jonker Boutique hotel (beside Aik Cheong coffee).

CPL_Raju

Banned
Reaction score
Rong mao has been there for at least few decades. Majority customers are old folks.

For dim sum, Ban Hong Xiang Tea House @ Jalan Gajah Berang is very famous too.

always wanted to try this shop.. but too far away from my hotel..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.