Lao Jiao fall in, checking MR criteria

echeong

Master Member
Reaction score
Big hooha during my ICT this year, causing lots of unhappiness among my buddies who counted and thought they would MR this year. Initial talk from the commanders also indicated over 100+ would MR from my unit (657SIR). But last day of ICT, my OC called the whole company and dropped the bombshell. None would MR this year. All fulfilling the requrirement of 7 ICT (high key) and 10 NS years would be joining the unit to stand down in the next ICT. The reason given is the definition of the NS year. OC say they (the brigade) have new policy which count by the month of the 1st call-up. If 1st call-up is Sep'2001, then only Sep'2011 then counted as 10yrs and qualify for MR cert. Since the ICT is in Mar, those 10yrs service not reached during this ICT won't get their MR cert. They would only get during the next ICT. This is odd as last year, some get their MR cert with post-dated release dates (ICT in Jan'2010 but MR date in Apr'2010). Why this year cannot do the same for people MR dates in later part of this year? The most funny thing is they didn't release MR cert but all gotten the watch this year?!
:s27:

Any MR lao jiao pls advise how their units counted their ICT cycles?

Kam sia

getsby

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LLST loh, anyway doing ICT is good ma, can zzzing in camp

whatz_triz

Reaction score
Your brigade got the power and final say to determine your unit's MR status. Even though your unit may have fulfill the MR requirements of 7HK, 3LK and 10 NS year/cycles, it is still up to your brigade's decision whether your unit should stand-down and MR.
As of why your unit did not stand-down and MR even though fulfilling the MR requirements, this could be due to quite a lot of unit under your brigade's command had MR during this work-year already, therefore your brigade had decided NOT to MR your unit at this work-year. This is only my speculation, actual reason I don't know.
Yes, it is common to post date MR date on the MR cert. Last time, my 10th (and also last) ICT was early Nov, but my MR cert was post dated to end Dec the same year (therefore official date for my MR status is end Dec that year). Lucky for me and my unit, our whole battalion swee swee stand-down and MR exactly at our 10th NS cycle after fulfilling 7HK and 3LK ICT.
So conclusion, your unit's stand-down and MR date is at the discrete of your brigade's decision. Whether your are happy or not you also have to LLST.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless you are 40 years old for WOSE & 50 years old for Officer, if not you will still needs to serve NS even if you have MR.

You can have a lose-lose situation.

You complaint to Mindef & your unit will be force to MR.

However after all of you have MR, your unit can dig you out from MR List & ask all of you to come back for reservist.

whatz_triz

Reaction score
Unless you are 40 years old for WOSE & 50 years old for Officer, if not you will still needs to serve NS even if you have MR.

You can have a lose-lose situation.

You complaint to Mindef & your unit will be force to MR.

However after all of you have MR, your unit can dig you out from MR List & ask all of you to come back for reservist.

Are you sure?

Quoted from Mindef website:-

"MINDEF Reserve consists of NSmen who have completed their NS training cycle but have yet to reach the statutory age. They are no longer called back for In-Camp Training (ICT) but are still liable for NS."

The interpretation are as follows:-

They are no longer called back for In-Camp Training (ICT)
You are not liable for training (ICT)/reservist during peace time.

but are still liable for NS
You will be activated to defend S'pore if there is a war.

When you MR, your unit will brief you on this.
Btw, have you know any NSmen being recall back for ICT after they have MR :s22::s22::s22:? Don't have right?

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have receive your MR cert and still got call back for ICT, i guess someone cock up big time....

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you sure?

Btw, have you know any NSmen being recall back for ICT after they have MR :s22::s22::s22:? Don't have right?

Confirm his just trying to cannon his way ard :s13:

whatz_triz

Reaction score
If you have receive your MR cert and still got call back for ICT, i guess someone cock up big time....

He don't know but still try to mislead others :s13:.
利害就好,不要假利害

Last edited:

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
My case also not good. Already done 7 High Key as on November 2009 yet only served 1 low key according to my NS Booklet. Called my unit to verify and they say unit has no more low keys so I still have perhaps 1 or max 2 more High Keys to exchange for the missing low keys or when I reach 40 which ever comes first :(

echeong

Master Member
Reaction score
My case also not good. Already done 7 High Key as on November 2009 yet only served 1 low key according to my NS Booklet. Called my unit to verify and they say unit has no more low keys so I still have perhaps 1 or max 2 more High Keys to exchange for the missing low keys or when I reach 40 which ever comes first :(

Unit high key but you can join in 1/2 way for low key right? That's what my oc mentioned, those missing low key (NS yrs) can join in only 1/2 way.

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

wah this is quite suay, but there are quite a number of ppl who face the same issue as u.

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont your unit got range? arent those low key?

or vocation refresher trainings?

i thought quoted from some ppl here, the amt of HK is more impt then LK?

my Unit only look at HK. They even specifically say 7 HK is the base requirement to MR.

whatz_triz

Reaction score
Depend on unit..I completed 7 high n 3 low..no discount

That's 1/2 correct, I already mentioned in my post earlier that your unit's stand-down and MR date is at the discrete of your brigade's decision, not unit's decision.

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Dont your unit got range? arent those low key?

or vocation refresher trainings?

i thought quoted from some ppl here, the amt of HK is more impt then LK?

my Unit only look at HK. They even specifically say 7 HK is the base requirement to MR.

Range is done during my ICT High Key on board the ship if any. Vocation Trainings? Nothing from my unit.

I dun care if amount of HK are more important. I met the required 7 x HKs back on Nov' 2009 and gotten my Hamilton Watch from RSN already. I am guessing my next HK would be somewhere next May (2012).

The reason why my unit stretch the intervals between each HK from average every 18 months to now average every 30 months was due to unit has too many NS Men yet they hold us back not allowing us to MR. Brigade level or whatever, they are going to continue to pay us for the HK (via Make-up Pay) and all the RTs/IPPTs sessions and though not a lot per person, the combine figures of so many NS Men is pretty big I guess right? :s13:

whatz_triz

Reaction score
Range is done during my ICT High Key on board the ship if any. Vocation Trainings? Nothing from my unit.

I dun care if amount of HK are more important. I met the required 7 x HKs back on Nov' 2009 and gotten my Hamilton Watch from RSN already. I am guessing my next HK would be somewhere next May (2012).

The reason why my unit stretch the intervals between each HK from average every 18 months to now average every 30 months was due to unit has too many NS Men yet they hold us back not allowing us to MR. Brigade level or whatever, they are going to continue to pay us for the HK (via Make-up Pay) and all the RTs/IPPTs sessions and though not a lot per person, the combine figures of so many NS Men is pretty big I guess right? :s13:

They don't call you back for ICT loh (then they no need to pay you make-up pay for ICT), and hold you until 40years old :s13:. Every year make you take IPPT until you reach 40years old.
IPPT/RT at most you get paid around $10+ per session :s13:.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

MINDEF website quoted that 'MINDEF Reserve consists of NSmen who have completed their NS training cycle but have yet to reach the statutory age. They are no longer called back for In-Camp Training (ICT) but are still liable for NS'.

NSmen who step down from their unit are no longer called back for In-Camp Training (ICT) by their unit cause they are no longer part of the unit. They are now in MINDEF Reserve (MR) List.

Those who ORD & went overseas to study are under MINDEF Reserve (MR) List.

Since it is a Reserve List, anyone can dig them out for NS liable as long as they are not reach the statutory age such as those who went overseas for studies.

Are you sure?

I maybe wrong.

But I know a diver who inform me that all diver including himself have MR & step down after their 5th ICT. However got one time, he kena SAF100 asking him to report back to unit. Turn out he really needs to serve his NS even he have MR but he did not needs to attend IPPT every year like ROVER.

Not sure if he smoke me or not but I do not see the point he smoke me.

Any diver can confirm this?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you get your Watch mean you have already MR. You can check with your unit regrading this.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.