Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

my6600

Reaction score
thanks bro yes going for gaincity. going for the mitsubishi model at $2880++. i will also probably purchase the additional 4 years warranty for $399. hopefully everything goes well cause currently some parts of the trunking concealed by previous renovation works(false ceiling/toilet wooden cupboards. asked and they are using g23 copper pipes and amarflex insulation.

just to check is it Amaflex, Amarflex or Armaflex? seen a few variations here and googling seems to lead me to Armaflex insulation. haha duno whether they are the same thing. gaincity spelt it out to me as Amarflex.

was thinking whether to upgrade the master bedroom unit to 12000btu which cost around $100+ more and two common rooms as per normal 9000btu.

though gaincity advice dont need to upgrade 9000btu x 3 should be ok

but thinking since master bedroom has a toilet and a slight "corridor" which makes it abit bigger. dont want to over work the 9000btu unit in the master bedroom.

which model did you go for and overall cost?
For hdb master bedroom size should be enough for 9k btu especially inverter, just that It takes longer time to cool down the room to ur set temperature. but of course buy higher btu Is cautious move also. in that case, within very short time I think the room can be cold down to ur set temperature already.

chanel26

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I intend to replace my old aircon system 4 and have some questions, hope all who know can advice me.Thanks.

1)Normally the price quote include dismantling of old pipe and installing of newpipe?Or we must pay extra to dismantle old piping.

2) Is the dismantling of old aircon/piping and installation of new aircon/piping carried out on the same day?

3)Any good installer or company to recommend?:)

My auntie recently got here 4 room hdb aircon installed by Aircon Singapore and she say the price is ok.

I am planning to servicing my aircon these 2 days!
Headache!!!

hachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got any cheap and good system 3 air con to recommend. No need inverter as I am moving house soon in 3 years time...Just wanna something to last me 3 years, those GC system 3 $1499 or $1599 air con can consider???

Victor7296

Reaction score
LG Aircon Poor design and quality

must avoid ALL BEST at all cost. brought a system 3 LG non-inverter from them about 2 yrs ago.now always giving me this sweating problem(water vapor on the air con pipe casing)
the aircon piping is route from my master bed room to my room n the sweating effect came when master bed room never on the aircon.call all best technician to take a look n they say it normal cos master bedroom never on air con so the room is hot where the air con pipe is cold so water vapor form.rubbish lah that mean if i on air con on my room my master bed room also must on lor.i believe if the insulation of the air con piping is good this will never happen lor. so i find the installation of the air con is very very important then the brand.

I am not sure if its all the installer's problem. I have been suffering for the last 3 years with LG System 3 non-inverter air con. Less than 3 days after installation, the FCU started to leak water. Bought from Hong Huat. The installer came and tried to rectify the problem but the problem continue to happen at regular interval of less than 1 month. After 2 to 3 months, HH people told me that its not an installation problem and told me to contact LG. Contacted LG and it took them like a week to come down. The LG Technician came and inspected the FCUs and said that its an installation problem and tried to push it back to the installer. I told them that the installer said its LG. I told LG that the installer refused to response to my calls and I need to resolve my FCU water leakage. Its not just 1 FCU giving the problem but all 3 FCUs give the same problem at different intervals. I finally managed to convince LG to talk to the installer.

The installer later agreed to do a one last time re-installation provided LG technician are there to certify that they are doing the correct LG recommended installation. Thereafter, HH will not be responsible to the installation anymore.
This happened like 5 months after the original installation.

We continue to experience the FCU water leakage problem and we are always living in fear that the water leakage will damage our parquet flooring. Every time, we have the water leakage problem we have to wait for a few days for LG technician to service it. Less than a year after the original installation/purchase, LG technician said that all our FCUs and the condenser all very dirty and need chemical wash. The quote was $180.00 per FCU and $200 for the condenser for a total of $740.00. On top of that we have signed a LG service contract that charged more than $400.00 for 4 servicing a year. Imagine LG technician telling us that we need to do chemical wash for all our FCUs and the condenser every year. Is this the norm? I assumed that LG is the expert in their own products. They have put blame on the drainage blockage to dirts and also changing the thermisters and others. The problem refuse to get resolved.

My McQuay system 2 air con for my living and dinning halls have never ever need a chemical wash for the last 11 years. Regular servicing is more than adequate.

I noticed that the LG design has some serious flaw. The gap between the fins in the FCUs and the condenser are very narrow as compare to other brands like McQuay, Daikin, Tosihiba and etc. This narrow gap between the fan coil fins can easily trap dust and dirt resulting in the FCU being choke very easily. The same for the condenser. Therefore the need to do Chemical wash for the FCUs and condenser every year. This is a very big expense every year.

We continue to experience the water leakage for the last 3 years and I am now looking at replacing the LG System 3.

I am very disappointed with LG products and their customer service.

Last edited:

Victor7296

Reaction score
Hi all,

My mum is planning to change our old and faulty system 3 for the flat. Is there any good and cheap recommendations. A major factor she looks into is 1) at least have a branding 2) energy saving 3) can be installment-ed.

Her budget will be somewhere not exceeding 3k

She shortlisted one offer from Courts
LG H3UC216FAO system-3
22,500BTU, gold fin condenser, Nano plus and self clear function

The offer includes free installation, 2yr warranty + 5yr extended warranty
Offer price - $2099

what do you think of this offer?

Thanks all!!

Hi Double_RR,

I did not have a good experience using LG non-inverter System 3 air con for the last 3 years. If you have purchased it, keep your fingers cross. Else, I hope you will seriously consider the Japanese Brands rather than the Korean Brands.

Just my cents worth of input.

Cheers.

Victor7296

Reaction score
Got any cheap and good system 3 air con to recommend. No need inverter as I am moving house soon in 3 years time...Just wanna something to last me 3 years, those GC system 3 $1499 or $1599 air con can consider???

GC prices are decent but may not be the cheapest. GC has been around for many years and I believe that they have ISO 9000 certification.

My two cents worth of input is: Please consider the Japanese brands only.

Cheers...

Victor7296

Reaction score
Buy from Courts for the lowest guarantee price

Aircon just broke down. Compressor motor replacment will cost $400-$600.

2 units blowing out hot air. (not gas technician just checked)(also been leaking for about 3-4years)

1 unit in mbr still functioning as per normal.

Since its already 10 years+ old was thinking of replacing all of them.

Was previously using National(Panasonic) System 3.

After reading through it seems the most favourable brands are Daikin/Mitsubishi/Panasonic

1. Mitsubishi MXY-3A28VA / MSY-GE10VA x 3

2. Panasonic CU-3S27MKZ / CS-S9KKZW X 3

Leaning more towards the Mitsubishi not because of Jack Neo but because the National that i currently have kept giving me problems.

info that i've compiled.

2 kinds of refrigerant for inverters R22(older/top up cost $10?/not-eco friendly) and R410A(newer/top up cost $35?/eco friendly)

the latter is used in the Mitsubishi Electric MXY-3A28VA / MSY-GE10VA x 3 system.

9000btu is enough for hdb room size.

16mm drainage pipe would be good but 13mm is sufficient.

G23 Copper is good for pipings concealed in truckings.

Class 0 or Class 1 insulation doesn't matter. Brands like Aramflex/Thermaflex is common and good to go. (don't save on insulation)

>6 hrs daily, go for inverter. <6hrs daily, go for non-inverter

Savings of about $100+/- a month.(if used daily >6 hrs)

Lastly choose a reputable company.

Seems like GainC**y isn't that favourable here.

CoolS***e seems to be good but no installment plan?

AllB**t getting mix reviews.

BestT**h? not too sure about them.

Thinking of going with CoolS***e though they have higher prices. But would appreciate some advice before i make a move. Thanks!:)

I was at Courts Tampines Mall to look for air con. Before going to Courts, I checked the prices from GC and others. I told the Courts salesman that their prices is more expensive. His response to me is that Courts prices are the lowest and challenge me to buy from him. This was how he explain it to me. Don't bother to bargain here, take our price and place the order. After that with the receipt, go to Courts Customer Service section to file your competitor cheaper quote. Courts will pay you DOUBLE the price difference.

Example: If you buy a System 3 Inverter aircon for $3,100 from Courts. If you have got a quote from GC that is say $3,000 for the exact brand and model configuration. You will be able to receive a refund of $200 from Courts. In this way, you will be able to get the cheapest price (ie $3,100 - $200) at $2,900 which is cheaper than GC's quotation.

Cheers.

terumo

Reaction score
If you are buying a product (cash and carry) by itself, getting the cheapest price seems a good option.

But aircon will have installation by a skilled personnel, so labour is another factor. Cheapest is not always the best.

sentosaubin

Reaction score
Hi Double_RR,

I did not have a good experience using LG non-inverter System 3 air con for the last 3 years. If you have purchased it, keep your fingers cross. Else, I hope you will seriously consider the Japanese Brands rather than the Korean Brands.

Just my cents worth of input.

Cheers.

I agree with Victor
I used the same LG non-inverter only for 2.5 years.. and not sure if it is aircon or Gaincity fault , the aircon give problem (Condensation, loud compressor, and electricity consumption increases)... The only think I like from LG is their air-con remote control comes with termostat to measure room temperature

my6600

Reaction score
I agree with Victor
I used the same LG non-inverter only for 2.5 years.. and not sure if it is aircon or Gaincity fault , the aircon give problem (Condensation, loud compressor, and electricity consumption increases)... The only think I like from LG is their air-con remote control comes with termostat to measure room temperature

cheap stuff does not necessary mean gd.

mouse123

Reaction score
Just went to best denki and they were offering this samsung system 2 for $1699. I notice that this quote is way cheaper than most system 2s such as Daikin and Mitsubishi. Would like to ask anyone has any experience with samsung air con? How do they perform as compared to Daikin or Mitsubishi? Thanks for the advice.. :)

Victor7296

Reaction score
Just went to best denki and they were offering this samsung system 2 for $1699. I notice that this quote is way cheaper than most system 2s such as Daikin and Mitsubishi. Would like to ask anyone has any experience with samsung air con? How do they perform as compared to Daikin or Mitsubishi? Thanks for the advice.. :)

Korean aircon technology has no comparison with the Japanese Aircon technology. Of course, the Korean price is cheaper than the Japanese for it to sell. I have suffered for 3 years with using LG System 3 non-inverter aircon. LG really CMI. LG really sucks.

Buy Korean aircon at your own risk.

Victor7296

Reaction score
Appreciate feedback for installing Sharp system 3 inverter (AU-X3M24LV) ?

Yes, it's a better choice than the cheaper Korean Brands of LG and Samsung.
LG is euphemism of junk and trash. I suffered for 3 years with water leakage from the FCU and LG could not solve it.

Last edited:

mouse123

Reaction score
Korean aircon technology has no comparison with the Japanese Aircon technology. Of course, the Korean price is cheaper than the Japanese for it to sell. I have suffered for 3 years with using LG System 3 non-inverter aircon. LG really CMI. LG really sucks.

Buy Korean aircon at your own risk.

Thanks for the feedback. So now its really down to mitsubishi and daikin.. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.