NUS Real Estate

kkkira

Reaction score
Some info

Specialization is in Year 3 Semester 2, but you may have to declare earlier, not too sure about it. There's either urban planning, finance to choose from. But limited slots.

Modules that require drawing? There's one in Year 1 Semester 1. But can handle if you start practicing early during the semester. I also couldn't draw for nuts but practice a little should be okay since almost everyone here can't draw very well right from the start too..

Student life is alright, just be sure to attend the stuff they organize for freshmen like the SDE camp so you'll get to make a couple friends before school starts and the work becomes more heavy..

As for doing well, if you're consistent with your work, study smart, sure can do well :)

Btw, I just finished my first year. So your syllabus will be same as mine. They just revamped it and I'm first batch to go thru the new one, aka guinea pigs ^^

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
and why would you wanna get into real estate course? just go become a property agent la.

kkkira

Reaction score
wow

wow, thinking that the only thing about property is buying and selling as an agent. lol.
tells alot about how well you understand real estate as as asset class.

besides investing in paper assets, investors look at hard assets and that would be either real estate or commodities if you're willing to take delivery. of course if you're loaded enough you could consider alternative investments with private equity funds..

I'm not putting down agents, cuz they do have a role to play and can make alot, my point is that if you think the only option for real estate graduates is to be an agent, you're grossly mistaken.

hatecrew

Reaction score
many ignorant people think that way.

am matriculating in RE this august :)

any info about the camp and stuff? so far i've not gotten any information from the faculty/uni.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could some one advise what is the cut off points for NUS

Real Estate ? My results is BBCC any chance ? Any recommendation

for what courses in NTU,SMU and Nus with such a result ? Thanks

If I cannot go in any uni , I will sure blame the stupid china man or
china girl who occupied our space .

I love how pplz blame their stupidity on others.. its not their fault tht dey are smarter den u... n i dun see how u can complaint.. BBCC... if u got AABB n u dun get into a reasonable course cos its taken by china peers den maybe u can still whine abit.. bt is still not a valid reason.. stop living in ur greenhouse..

SodaPiah

Reaction score
many ignorant people think that way.

am matriculating in RE this august :)

any info about the camp and stuff? so far i've not gotten any information from the faculty/uni.

Hey, me too :)
There's so little info about the course online.

xClementx

Master Member
Reaction score
I love how pplz blame their stupidity on others.. its not their fault tht dey are smarter den u... n i dun see how u can complaint.. BBCC... if u got AABB n u dun get into a reasonable course cos its taken by china peers den maybe u can still whine abit.. bt is still not a valid reason.. stop living in ur greenhouse..

well .. actually i think the proportion of foreign students are more than the percentage allocated and it's really tougher for local real singaporean poly students to enter.

Reason being: Foreigners who graduate with a local diploma applies under the same category as poly students. As poly intake at local U is about 20%, i think there is probably 3-5% out of this 20% taken up by foreigners already. This is aside from the % for the actual foreign students with overseas qualifications. Therefore, the number of total real foreign students is actually different.

Now, people may say that it's all because local students didnt do well enough because of their own fault for not being hardworking etc etc. Well, that may be true but if the main point is about the controlling the number of foreign students, I will say that foreign students who applies with either local or overseas qualifications should be placed under the same category since they might just fly away after enjoying all the subsidies from our money.

mabel_mabel

Reaction score
Foreigners who graduate with a local diploma applies under the same category as poly students. As poly intake at local U is about 20%, i think there is probably 3-5% out of this 20% taken up by foreigners already. This is aside from the % for the actual foreign students with overseas qualifications.

That's not very true . Poly gpa took 80% to apply uni and O level result took 20% . Most foreigners didn't took O level and took equivalent exam at their countries which is not recognized by local uni application process. Only foreign poly students who have good gpa and o level result can go to local uni. However there might be some foreign poly students whose gpa is solely good enough to accept by local uni without o level result. Besides, even though they applied under local applicant category, their quota is still under foreign student since they are not local.

That's my opinion. Correct me if i'm wrong. :)

xLioNx

Reaction score
That's not very true . Poly gpa took 80% to apply uni and O level result took 20% . Most foreigners didn't took O level and took equivalent exam at their countries which is not recognized by local uni application process. Only foreign poly students who have good gpa and o level result can go to local uni. However there might be some foreign poly students whose gpa is solely good enough to accept by local uni without o level result. Besides, even though they applied under local applicant category, their quota is still under foreign student since they are not local.

That's my opinion. Correct me if i'm wrong. :)

hmm .. honestly, I don't know too. However, I think there is a difference for these students. the 20% for O levels definitely wont be applicable to ITE students applying to the local universities. These ITE students who went poly then local U also apply thru the same category as the normal poly students so I am sure there is a different assessment policy for them. Perhaps 80% GPA 20% ITE grades so I am guessing it is also the same for these foreign students with local qualifications.

tanbh12

Reaction score
Heys... got accepted into the course and will be entering in 2013 as i only ORD in 2012 Dec. Just wondering any materials i can read for a head start for the course? bit bored in ns and wanna find things to do. maybe getting myself in touch with this course would be good for me before i enter. Any ideas? =D

Rumaizah

Reaction score
NUS REAL ESTATE INTERVIEW 2015

I got the call for the interview pretty late. (Late May? Considering end of first acceptance window is 2 June 2015)

Anyway, I prepped myself about the modules and prospects of the degree/course itself. I also read up on current affairs (real estate and world news) just in case they ask what I know about real estate.

I genuinely find real estate interesting (no, having a degree in real estate does not mean you become a property agent lol) and I thought I could ace the interview. (Aced the 2 other interviews for NTU Philosophy and Unisim Finance)

During the interview, it's another story.

First impression, the 2 female interviewers are condescending. (Nehmind. They teach bright kids for a living, fine, can step big.)

They targetted my bad Econs and Math grades. (I assumed if I'm already being called up for an interview, my grades wouldn't be the main concern anymore) But I guess that's how they wanna break you.
I was quite stunned at first but in the end admitted I was complacent and playful in JC which led to me not giving my all for those subjects.:s13:

So be prepared if you don't have A's and B's, even for your H1s.
[In hindsight, Econs and Math will make up the majority of what Real Estate kids will be learning so makes sense why they asked)

Then, they asked me why Real Estate was my 3rd choice. (LOL, obviously most Arts kids pick FASS as first choice. I put Business Admin for fun as 2nd.) Honestly, up until I received the call, I had the assumption that real estate degree = property agents.
The professors got kind of pissed when I implied I tikam my courses. lol.
I said it's a blessing in disguise I didn't get the top 2 choices. (I really think NUS RE is relevant to my dreams of becoming a financial advisor, after doing my research.)

One of them asked: What if you were offered NUS RE straight away and you didn't know anything about it?! (Yes, she was pissed.):s13:

My reply: I wouldn't have accepted it. Blindly. I would have done more research anyway and eventually know sufficiently.

IN A NUTSHELL, IT WAS AN INTERROGATION RATHER THAN AN INTERVIEW.
They dismissed any attempts of me telling them more about myself as a person lol.

#YOLO
If they don't take me, I got nothing to lose.

Advice:
- Prep more on defending what you did (academic-wise) that led you to be "interviewed" (and not accepted straight away)
- Don't try TOO hard
- If you really wanna get in (and not above average), get used to being looked down upon. (Which might be a good thing if you need motivation to prove them wrong eventually/ get honours)

Alpaca

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the call for the interview pretty late. (Late May? Considering end of first acceptance window is 2 June 2015)

Anyway, I prepped myself about the modules and prospects of the degree/course itself. I also read up on current affairs (real estate and world news) just in case they ask what I know about real estate.

I genuinely find real estate interesting (no, having a degree in real estate does not mean you become a property agent lol) and I thought I could ace the interview. (Aced the 2 other interviews for NTU Philosophy and Unisim Finance)

First impression, the 2 female interviewers are condescending. (Nehmind. They teach bright kids for a living, fine, can step big.)

They targetted my bad Econs and Math grades. (I assumed if I'm already being called up for an interview, my grades wouldn't be the main concern anymore) But I guess that's how they wanna break you.
I was quite stunned at first but in the end admitted I was complacent and playful in JC which led to me not giving my all for those subjects.:s13:

[In hindsight, Econs and Math will make up the majority of what Real Estate kids will be learning so makes sense why they asked)

Then, they asked me why Real Estate was my 3rd choice. (LOL, obviously most Arts kids pick FASS as first choice. I put Business Admin for fun as 2nd.) Honestly, up until I received the call, I had the assumption that real estate degree = property agents.
I said it's a blessing in disguise I didn't get the top 2 choices. (I really think NUS RE is relevant to my dreams of becoming a financial advisor, after doing my research.)

One of them asked: What if you were offered NUS RE straight away and you didn't know anything about it?! (Yes, she was pissed.):s13:

My reply: I wouldn't have accepted it. Blindly. I would have done more research anyway and eventually know sufficiently.

They dismissed any attempts of me telling them more about myself as a person lol.

#YOLO

Advice:
- Prep more on defending what you did (academic-wise) that led you to be "interviewed" (and not accepted straight away)
- Don't try TOO hard
- If you really wanna get in (and not above average), get used to being looked down upon. (Which might be a good thing if you need motivation to prove them wrong eventually/ get honours)
Grace wong interview u ar ? :s13::s13:

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score

#YOLO

Advice:
- Don't try TOO hard

Those interviews are meant to find students who have borderline grades but with strong passion in the course. In this case, you have not shown to the interviewer why the school need to accept you.

tmltyl

Reaction score
Dear Kaki,

Does anyone ahppen to have the textbook list for NUS real estate? Many Thanks in advance :s13::s13::s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.