Canada - Toronto

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had friend that go there in a day just for makan.
what U seek? such kind of thread do not expect much reply.

hungryfriend

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had friend that go there in a day just for makan.
what U seek? such kind of thread do not expect much reply.

im going on exchange for 7weeks.
only can travel during weekend for abt 4days
so anyone got tips on how to plan? like where got cheap deals for student etc.
coz planning go NY too.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I stayed in Toronto for 3+ years as a student. What do you want to know? :o

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any expert on travelling in Toronto and nearby cities?

Just know that in Toronto, there is a place called GTA. :D

It is Greater Toronto Area. BTW, check out that underground mall. I mean really underground and it is huge. Bigger than our underground malls.

hungryfriend

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I stayed in Toronto for 3+ years as a student. What do you want to know? :o

like anywhere can buy cheap and nice food/necessities etc.?
places that must-go in toronto or nearby cities.
where to get cheap deals for students?

hungryfriend

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just know that in Toronto, there is a place called GTA. :D

It is Greater Toronto Area. BTW, check out that underground mall. I mean really underground and it is huge. Bigger than our underground malls.

the underground mall is within GTA?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im going on exchange for 7weeks.
only can travel during weekend for abt 4days
so anyone got tips on how to plan? like where got cheap deals for student etc.
coz planning go NY too.

can drive?
weekend is 4 days for student? your schedule damn good man.. 3 days study 4 days off.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

u going which Uni for exchange?
UofT or York?

asian students these days go markham to get chinese food.
try costco to get good deals on food and necessities. students usually share things bought there

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Which uni will you be at? UT or York? York is nearer to Downsview and Finch whereas UT's St George Campus is near St George station. UT also has campuses in Mississauga and Scarborough, both which are about an hour away from downtown TO.

Depending on where you are at, you can buy your groceries from supermarts like Loblaws or No Frills. Some are open 24hrs. Or if you are lazy, just buy online from grocery gateway. That's what I used to do :o Downtown chinatown also sells cheap food and stuff so you can go take a look. You can also drop by Pacific Mall at Markham or Scarborough for lots of Chinese stuff. To get to Pacific Mall, take the TTC to Finch station and take bus 53/53E/53B.

I personally would think some of the places to go/things to see would be paramount canada's wonderland, watch the maple leafs in action @ skydome, go for dinner atop CN Tower, make a trip to Niagara falls and Montreal. You can do Casa Loma too if you are interested.

What kind of cheap deals are you looking for? Travel or? Regardless, its good to make your ISIC card. If you intend to travel, just drop by Travelcuts and you will get a discount with the card. :o

hungryfriend

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u going which Uni for exchange?
UofT or York?

asian students these days go markham to get chinese food.
try costco to get good deals on food and necessities. students usually share things bought there

im going UofT st george campus
are all the places nearby?

hungryfriend

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which uni will you be at? UT or York? York is nearer to Downsview and Finch whereas UT's St George Campus is near St George station. UT also has campuses in Mississauga and Scarborough, both which are about an hour away from downtown TO.

Depending on where you are at, you can buy your groceries from supermarts like Loblaws or No Frills. Some are open 24hrs. Or if you are lazy, just buy online from grocery gateway. That's what I used to do :o Downtown chinatown also sells cheap food and stuff so you can go take a look. You can also drop by Pacific Mall at Markham or Scarborough for lots of Chinese stuff. To get to Pacific Mall, take the TTC to Finch station and take bus 53/53E/53B.

I personally would think some of the places to go/things to see would be paramount canada's wonderland, watch the maple leafs in action @ skydome, go for dinner atop CN Tower, make a trip to Niagara falls and Montreal. You can do Casa Loma too if you are interested.

What kind of cheap deals are you looking for? Travel or? Regardless, its good to make your ISIC card. If you intend to travel, just drop by Travelcuts and you will get a discount with the card. :o

im going UT st george
yes looking at cheap deals for travel...
for the ISIC card, is it everyone must have their own to enjoy discount or just one person can use for everyone?

thanks for the info!

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im going UT st george
yes looking at cheap deals for travel...
for the ISIC card, is it everyone must have their own to enjoy discount or just one person can use for everyone?

thanks for the info!

1 card 1 person iirc. Just remember that Toronto is quite big so getting from 1 place to another will take quite sometime. Eg. From downtown toronto (queen/spadina/union) to Pacific Mall at Markham will probably take you close to 2hrs - even longer if you go during Winter. Will you be staying on campus at UT? If you are lost as to where to go or what to do, you can contact the UT MSA (Malaysian Singaporean Association). I'm sure some of them will be happy to bring you folks around.

All in all, enjoy yourself and your exchange at my alma mater :)

hungryfriend

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 card 1 person iirc. Just remember that Toronto is quite big so getting from 1 place to another will take quite sometime. Eg. From downtown toronto (queen/spadina/union) to Pacific Mall at Markham will probably take you close to 2hrs - even longer if you go during Winter. Will you be staying on campus at UT? If you are lost as to where to go or what to do, you can contact the UT MSA (Malaysian Singaporean Association). I'm sure some of them will be happy to bring you folks around.

All in all, enjoy yourself and your exchange at my alma mater :)

yes staying in campus
university college
2hrs is by bus?how much?

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes staying in campus
university college
2hrs is by bus?how much?

TTC practises a flat fare regardless of the distance you travel. Just ask for a transfer ticket if you need to switch buses/subway. It used to be $2/trip but it's gone up to $3. You can buy tickets/tokens for cheaper travel but there is a minimum qty. Do note that if you buy tickets, you have to go through the main gates where there is a station staff/conductor. Tokens can get you through automatic side gates. Prices are the same but you can only get tokens from the TTC machines or from the station staff. Tickets you can buy from convenience shops.

You can read more at http://www3.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Prices/index.jsp

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.