Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just got my trading account activated. FYI there is a stop loss order feature in this account.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
although u had "bought" the shares, the shares will be credited/ delivered to SCB instead of CDP.

this means SCB is the custodian of the shares. usually shares bought on SGX are kept in CDP. shares bought from other markets are kept by the brokerage as custodian

you will not be involved with CDP.. all transactions only between u n SCB

now only wondering if the "shares" exists physically or its merely an open position

then who pay the clearing and trading fee?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
still don't understand your first point.. :s13: do it mean when I sell, the potential buyers must be users of that bank, thus a much smaller market, than the entire market of CDP?

I only use one bank to buy and sell.. my portfolio is small.. :s13:

everyone has their own cdp account, and all the brokerage houses account that you have will have access to that cdp account of yours.
whatever stock you buy/sell through brokerage house will goes to your CDP account which is accessible by all the brokerage houses that you have account with.

but if it is under custodian account with scb, means you can only buy or sell through the custodian account..

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
so if company offer dividends, is go to SCB or to us?

the dividend will go to SCB, which SCB will then deposit the dividend into your trust account or via cheque normally (this part im not sure, better check with scb)

but when you declare your dividend income during your tax reporting, i dont think you need to report these dividends since it is not under your name..

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to sound terribly xenophobia but I dun trust foreign banks.

When I first graduated, my first credit card was actually with SCB. There customer service was quite terrible and they were very sticky on charges like late charge, interest charge, annual fee.

So in the end, I severed my relationship with them and never looked back. More or less same experience with Citibank. Bank of China was not a bad experience.

These was in the past and I'm sure their customer service has improved. But there is nothing that these foreign banks can offered me that the big 3 does not. And this will probably be through even when I become a HNWI.

So thanks but no thanks. Once bittern twice shy.

standarchart marketing promotion is always using low commission to first attract a base, then slowly normalised into market rate.

im not surprised if they decide to remove this minimun commission after 1 year like how they adjust their saver account interest rate after a certain period.

if there is no minimun commission + no custody fee, what will they earn from? what is the gimmick?

still prefer the citibank 0.15% cash upfront

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so many people still have reservations about this and that. what if SCB reverts back the fees, etc.

obviously they can do anything in future. but at the moment, its a no-brainer to act now (open an account since its free anyway) and think later. then make use of the good features available now. it can save you tons of $$$ in making smaller trade amounts.

my gut feeling is, the no minimum commission will be here to stay forever. the other brokerages will be forced to revise their rates down in order to retain market share. i mean why not, since there is no credit risk afterall, so bring down the rates!

jowy85

Reaction score
Hi i wanne ask in a layman term. if our shares bought from SCB , and SCB hold custody to it. So if SCB goes down under or bust, our stock will be gone too ?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi i wanne ask in a layman term. if our shares bought from SCB , and SCB hold custody to it. So if SCB goes down under or bust, our stock will be gone too ?

wrong information

edited

Last edited:

steventay

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, that is if it goes bust suddenly..

no. the stock still belong to u even the SCB bust cos it is under SCB custody and not SCB.

same go for citibank custody, kim eng custody, etc etc

all singapore brokerage coy if u buy foreign market shares it is under custody too...

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
no. the stock still belong to u even the SCB bust cos it is under SCB custody and not SCB.

same go for citibank custody, kim eng custody, etc etc

all singapore brokerage coy if u buy foreign market shares it is under custody too...

yes, you are right..

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SCB cannot sell current holding held by CDP rite?

Anyone know what's the cost of transferring it from CDP to SCB?

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
though cheap, i must say the interface is not user-friendly.

it is unlike platforms like POEMS which allows you to see live prices at a glance.

maybe monitor from platforms like POEMS, and only buy from SCB when required?

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
though cheap, i must say the interface is not user-friendly.

it is unlike platforms like POEMS which allows you to see live prices at a glance.

maybe monitor from platforms like POEMS, and only buy from SCB when required?

yes you can do that.

its cheap so must give and take. cannot get everything for cheap. at least, it gives you a stop loss order. i havent try it though.

NobleGrp

Reaction score
If suay suay one day the online trading platform goes down, then the market also goes down and u kan chiong need to sell then how? cannot go other brokerage house sell also..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.