Audio Engine speakers discussion thread [consolidated]

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need advice if anyone knows where/who to repair AE5? Its out of warranty already. Thanks.

generalwu

Reaction score
@fietty Are you going portable? Are you using headphone?

I'm using Styleaudio's dac and all I can say is that it sound good to me but sound/tastes are subjective hence I suggest you try them out to see if you like them. :)

The differences between those you listed are just the type of sound produced, portability, power to drive headphone. =:p

Also you can try zero dac (cheaper, Jaben) and Maverick D1 (Jaben)... :s7:

@hoks I do not know but you can try calling Audiotrio or CD Acoustic, they should be able to help you... =:p

Hope this helps... :s13:

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks generalwu, will do that. Did hear about them but I din get my set from them. Will call them up to enquire.

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got the A5 couple of days back.

I'm setting aside around $400 for a DAC. Read elsewhere that the NuForce UDAC-2 is usually paired with this. Got recommendations for Style-Audio and Cambridge DacMagic as well.

I'm just playing digital music/movies of my computer, dont intend to do any audio recording. Anyone has any experience with the DACs mentioned above? Which is suitable for my usage, and will the difference be significant?

Your budget of $400 is insufficient if you intend to get the Cambridge Audio DacMagic brand new. The present price is $550.

generalwu

Reaction score
@kunlky Have not try it before but I believe it'll not be bad. Why not go try it out?
It available at MusicLink @ Shaw Tower level 2

@BanEle No idea but why not just burn in while using it? If not you can try burning it for like maybe 50 hours non-stop, I'm sure it'll sound great by then... Lol...

kunlky

Reaction score
Does any1 have any idea that for Audio engine, is there any banana plug that can be use for the speaker? And what kind of cable will increase the performance?

generalwu

Reaction score
Lol, no idea sorry... But I do know that SLS and Sim Lim Tower has lots of shop selling cables and stuff so you might want to try asking them... :p

petetherock

Reaction score
It cannot use banana plugs. As for better cables, if you want to get better cables, why not buy a better speaker??

That's money spent more wisely...

kunlky

Reaction score
It cannot use banana plugs. As for better cables, if you want to get better cables, why not buy a better speaker??

That's money spent more wisely...

Hmm, what about Spade? AE can fit spade? hmmm, other speaker like? but my budget around 500+ leh. Any other speaker to recommend?

daniel1703

Reaction score
Audioengine 5 in hdb

I live in a rented room in an hdb with the owner who only comes back on the weekends. I basically only play music on my audioengine 5 when I get back from work which is about 5 something. Then I switch to my headphones after an hour. The owner knows about this.

However I was just told by him that regardless of whether or not he's home, he would like it if I lower the volume or listen using my headphones full time so as to not disturb the neighbours.

This has always been the unspoken agreement between me and my previous neighbours in where I used to stay. I play for a short period of time during the day and keep quiet for the rest of the time.

Question: What should I do now? I personally feel that I'm pretty considerate already considering I don't play past 1 hour, at volumes that don't even cause my table to shake.

testament

Reaction score
You don't really gauge by whether your table is shaking to know whether you are disturbing others.
You can play it at your normal volume and then go to the kitchen to see how much you can hear to know how much you are disturbing others
The genre of music you play also affects how disturbing it is to others

daniel1703

Reaction score
right outside my room I can hear, but when I walk to the kitchen I can barely hear anything.

I just moved in a week ago and haven't had much chance to play anything. But I did tell him previously that I will not listen to music when he is in. I think he probably thinks I listen non stop at loud volumes.

Either that or the neighbour complained when I disturbed him/her during one of the rare occasions that I listened to something. But I walked past the neighbour's house just now. Their TV also on very loud. In living room somemore. So I think they didn't complain.

fmonkey

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I plan to purchase the A5 and place them on my bookshelf. However, my bookshelf is actually a room divider which means there's no wall behind it. Will this pose an issue with the rear port?

Also what is the main difference between the A2 and A5 other than size and price. Is the A5 worth the extra cash?

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I been using A5 paired with Zero DAC all this year... solid speakers combo..

DAniel: no choice u rented the place.. next time u got yr own place blast it man

_dXter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I plan to purchase the A5 and place them on my bookshelf. However, my bookshelf is actually a room divider which means there's no wall behind it. Will this pose an issue with the rear port?

Also what is the main difference between the A2 and A5 other than size and price. Is the A5 worth the extra cash?

No wall is better than with wall behind those rear ports. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.