SingTel *Official* (SGX: Z74)

WindBoi

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these articles. I will take some time to go over them.

By the way, I agree wif ur views too. A fundamental shift in technology might render telecoms obsolete. So buying all 3 telecoms is not wise. However, I dun see that happening soon.

Or to put it simply, I dun think the telecoms will suddenly collapse within weeks. If there is a huge change in technology, I still have time ti liquidate my holdings.

IMO I am still debating whether the local scene is much different then the European telcos

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One month to go before it's 19 cents dividend. Price has been going up last 2 weeks. Dilemma is whether should sell just before xd or take dividend ( n hope it does not go down more than 19 cents on 6 Aug)

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One month to go before it's 19 cents dividend. Price has been going up last 2 weeks. Dilemma is whether should sell just before xd or take dividend ( n hope it does not go down more than 19 cents on 6 Aug)

I think from historical observation, it is more likely that the price on XD will probably drop >19c from the last CD price.

But that by itself does that means that one should sell to capitalise on the gain since the dividend was announced.

Some traders have been successful in adopting such a strategy but I remain unconvinced that this is an effective way to generate returns. However, if they are able to pull this off consistently, then I will have to congratulate them on their success.

Personally, I will not adopt such a strategy and will continue to hold on to the shares; despite it dropping more than 19c from the last CD price. (Vested)

Chua Zhiming

Reaction score

It will definitely drop more then 19 cents.

If you're a trader, you will sell before xd. If you're a investor, you will hold and collect divs for the next few years (must consider at what price you bought of course).

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think from historical observation, it is more likely that the price on XD will probably drop >19c from the last CD price.

But that by itself does that means that one should sell to capitalise on the gain since the dividend was announced.

Some traders have been successful in adopting such a strategy but I remain unconvinced that this is an effective way to generate returns. However, if they are able to pull this off consistently, then I will have to congratulate them on their success.

Personally, I will not adopt such a strategy and will continue to hold on to the shares; despite it dropping more than 19c from the last CD price. (Vested)

Thanks for the words of wisdom. In this case , assuming it really drop say 25 cents after XD, was wondering wouldn't it be better to sell before XD on 4 Aug and buy back a day after that to get a better overall position ? Thanks for your advice :)

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will definitely drop more then 19 cents.

If you're a trader, you will sell before xd. If you're a investor, you will hold and collect divs for the next few years (must consider at what price you bought of course).

if the drop is significant, wouldn't it be better to buy again after XD ? (presumming the next day drop is > dividend + brokerage for sell + buy in again). Pls let me know if my thinking is correct ?

Chua Zhiming

Reaction score
if the drop is significant, wouldn't it be better to buy again after XD ? (presumming the next day drop is > dividend + brokerage for sell + buy in again). Pls let me know if my thinking is correct ?

yep absolutely. But you have to take the risks lor, must see how high it goes and whether there are related news which could affect the price.

I dont have so many lots of singtel to earn much from selling/buying back and i am happy with 7% div payout so i cant be bothered. :o :s13:

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yep absolutely. But you have to take the risks lor, must see how high it goes and whether there are related news which could affect the price.

I dont have so many lots of singtel to earn much from selling/buying back and i am happy with 7% div payout so i cant be bothered. :o :s13:

Thks for the confirmation :)

WindBoi

Reaction score
wah 10 lots is not only haha.

the pitfall is that you have a case of Starhub where it went back up immediately.

lionelow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just holding it to collect dividend not buying for capital gains lor....looking at starhub too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.