CFA Level 1 Preparation: Kaplan vs CFA Singapore vs Self-Study

pigpig01234

Reaction score
hi, can i know for those who self-study, what is the price of just the registration? and where to register? I went to the CFA singapore website, and it wrote $1740 plus a stella combo. if i just want to register for the exam, is it that? I went to the international website for CFA, but scared i register , later end up exam is in US. any one can advise? thanks

tinkerdoll

Reaction score
hi, can i know for those who self-study, what is the price of just the registration? and where to register? I went to the CFA singapore website, and it wrote $1740 plus a stella combo. if i just want to register for the exam, is it that? I went to the international website for CFA, but scared i register , later end up exam is in US. any one can advise? thanks

I registered at the main website. You can pick the place you want to take your Examinaion in. It costs USD$1,145 for the Hardcopy Curriculum. But idoesn't come with the "stella" stuff you are talking about.

zulu85

Reaction score
Hi all!
Has anyone attended the program conducted by CFA singapore or 7city before? I'm in a dilemma, not sure which one is better (in terms of class size and tutors).

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
No. Decided to self study. Even though some of the lecturers in Kaplan were previously my lecturers in SIM. Not tt they are lousy, its just that I think attending lectures are really unproductive for me. Just go there, feel slpy, in the end nv listen much. I just bought elan guides to study. I find their video lecture quite good. It is just a alittle bit long, maybe to reinforce some of the concepts.
Where do you study? At sim library or mcd?

SethyKiat

Reaction score
Hi all, may i know roughly how long will it take to complete the whole CFA course for an average working person? and how much will it cost considering doing it self-mug? considering he's working in the financial sector.

raven81

Reaction score
Hi hi

Those who attended the CFA level 1 prep course with Keplan for the Dec 2010 exam.... Have you gotten your claim from Keplan yet ?

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all, may i know roughly how long will it take to complete the whole CFA course for an average working person? and how much will it cost considering doing it self-mug? considering he's working in the financial sector.
About S$3000 if you can clear all in a row. 300 hrs per paper, which is 900 hours for 3 paper if you clear all 3 in a row.

drifting

Reaction score
About S$3000 if you can clear all in a row. 300 hrs per paper, which is 900 hours for 3 paper if you clear all 3 in a row.

Hi, how many hours do you think a person with non-relevant background will require? Assuming he also goes for a prep course like that from kaplan?

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on person to person. Many wil pay for the exam and will not take it eventually as they really have no time to study for 6 thick books.

I self studied. If a prep course is 3 hrs and you take 1hr each to travel to and from kaplan, then it will take u 5hr in total. Why dun u use the 5hr to self studyat home

aerodude

Reaction score
Is there a study group out there that I can join? Or would anyone be keen on forming one?

Pls let me know! Thanks :)

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
It depends on person to person. Many wil pay for the exam and will not take it eventually as they really have no time to study for 6 thick books.

I self studied. If a prep course is 3 hrs and you take 1hr each to travel to and from kaplan, then it will take u 5hr in total. Why dun u use the 5hr to self studyat home

I can't study at home. It seems lonely for me without distractions, do you have any tips to have mood to study at home?

LoneHeart

Reaction score
I can't study at home. It seems lonely for me without distractions, do you have any tips to have mood to study at home?

You can try libraries or for myself, I studied at SMU.

To pass CFA exmans, the best is to set a study schedule and stick to it.

For me, I set aside Tues and Thurs evenings after work, Sat morning and Sun whole to study.

Best is to start early (i.e. 5mths before exam), so that you have enough time to read from cover to cover for all schweser books.

Once done, do 1-2 mock papers and identify weaks areas for revisions.

After revision, do papers again in real exam conditions, this helps alot in assessing your ability.

Also remember to memorise all formula as they are not provided in the exam and familiarise yourself with using the TI or HP calculator.

Hope above helps.

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
You can try libraries or for myself, I studied at SMU.

To pass CFA exmans, the best is to set a study schedule and stick to it.

For me, I set aside Tues and Thurs evenings after work, Sat morning and Sun whole to study.

Best is to start early (i.e. 5mths before exam), so that you have enough time to read from cover to cover for all schweser books.

Once done, do 1-2 mock papers and identify weaks areas for revisions.

After revision, do papers again in real exam conditions, this helps alot in assessing your ability.

Also remember to memorise all formula as they are not provided in the exam and familiarise yourself with using the TI or HP calculator.

Hope above helps.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Study at SMU or National Library is very cozy.
Study alone is better than in group?
I myself self study for my CIMA.

baka_giraffe

Reaction score
Hi, Thking to take up CFA for December.

However comtemplate very much to take up the textbook not. Is it advisable?

I most likely will be taking up schwesner notes to study for the exams also.

drifting

Reaction score
I am interested in joining as well... taking the exam on 3rd dec though

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.