Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
angscang said:
hi wirelessdan2002,
Thanks 4 the extremely gd inside!
r u in this line of Wireless installation 4 corporate etc.?
any companies hiring such people?
btw, did u get urself certified (CWNA)?
in ur earlier post, u mentioned abt Fullbond giving a high power rating n sensitivity. i m curious if it does provide secure authentication using 802.1x/EAP/Radius like Cisco (34x/35x series) or even Orinoco?
btw, did u own all the products that u tried out, or do they belong 2 ur company? just curious ;)
Thanks!

;)

not really working for any company but have been providing freelance consultations for some corporate setups.

not Cisco qualified cause too old to study :)

experienced Cisco qualified professionals are still in good demand, experience and explosure are important, my advice is be prepared to start at lower levels even one is Cisco qualified.

Fulbond's products catering more to SMEs, SOHOs and home users, just like most Taiwanese players eg. Linksys, Dlink etc. Cisco and Proxim-Orinoco are in the different class, EAP/LEAP/PEAP are catering more to enterprises and public hot spots setup which require added security and authentication, not viable for SMEs/SOHOs/home users products.

i do own some of those products i tested, some belong to my business associates/clients.

angscang

Reaction score
wirelessdan2002 said:
not really working for any company but have been providing freelance consultations for some corporate setups.
not Cisco qualified cause too old to study :)
experienced Cisco qualified professionals are still in good demand, experience and explosure are important, my advice is be prepared to start at lower levels even one is Cisco qualified.
Fulbond's products catering more to SMEs, SOHOs and home users, just like most Taiwanese players eg. Linksys, Dlink etc. Cisco and Proxim-Orinoco are in the different class, EAP/LEAP/PEAP are catering more to enterprises and public hot spots setup which require added security and authentication, not viable for SMEs/SOHOs/home users products.
i do own some of those products i tested, some belong to my business associates/clients.
how do u engage them or get the business 2 consult them initially?

CWNA is part of the CWSP certification n is vendor neutral, provided by planet3, it's different fr CCNA, CCIE etc. fr Cisco.

what does start fr lower level means??? :confused:

i m not against Taiwanese products, but some Dlink, LinkSys products or models r known 2 hv security flaws like the revealing of the SSID and WEP using a certain software, as they r using the same prism chipset n provided by the same chip vendor/manufacturer who came out with the software. even WinXP wireless zero config hv a security flaw as shown by a jpn professor.

i think security shouldn't b taken 4 granted, as shown by always-on broadband conn. my FW shows a high sniffing n scanning n even DOS attack on certain occasion.
Cheers!;)

Vladimir

Reaction score
Thanks for replying wirelessdan2002 & dethangel

There is no such all-in-one wireless equipment?

My STPro 'K' version with the firmware KHDSBA3.281 is not UPNP and is not H.323 compliant. Using netmeeing is a problem. The only way to get around it is to do a NAT pinholing. Thus I thought of changing this hardware.

This is my intended shopping list:
Linksys BEFW11S4 4-port wireless router - $227
Linksys WPC11 PCMCIA adapter - $98

Will keep my STPro for the time being. Btw, what u think about Cisco 827H? Or do u have any good and reliable adsl modem to recommend which will works with Magix ATM?

erba28

Reaction score
hi wirelessdan.. i am v new to this wireless thingy n need yr advise. i intend to get the linksys W11S4 router and i have 2 PCs. One of them is on the 1st floor n the other on the 2nd. so for the connection, do i need to get 2 pcmcia cards and adapters for each of the PCs? does the pcmcia cards sold come together with the adapters? i am currently using cable for surfing.

Thanks

Last edited:

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
angscang said:

how do u engage them or get the business 2 consult them initially?

CWNA is part of the CWSP certification n is vendor neutral, provided by planet3, it's different fr CCNA, CCIE etc. fr Cisco.

what does start fr lower level means??? :confused:

i m not against Taiwanese products, but some Dlink, LinkSys products or models r known 2 hv security flaws like the revealing of the SSID and WEP using a certain software, as they r using the same prism chipset n provided by the same chip vendor/manufacturer who came out with the software. even WinXP wireless zero config hv a security flaw as shown by a jpn professor.

i think security shouldn't b taken 4 granted, as shown by always-on broadband conn. my FW shows a high sniffing n scanning n even DOS attack on certain occasion.
Cheers!;)

business contacts more through clients networking.

thanks for enlightening about CWNA.

"starting from lower level" advise is more for new entrants into networking line. most networking solution providers are particular about experience on top of qualifications, in order to accumulate experience, one should not be too choosy especially about job titles, also value any chance of hands on opportunity.

heard about flaws in Taiwanese products, but this Jap professor's finding is new to me, anywhere i can get more information? thanks in advance.

agree security should not be taken for granted.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Vladimir said:

My STPro 'K' version with the firmware KHDSBA3.281 is not UPNP and is not H.323 compliant. Using netmeeing is a problem. The only way to get around it is to do a NAT pinholing. Thus I thought of changing this hardware.

Will keep my STPro for the time being. Btw, what u think about Cisco 827H? Or do u have any good and reliable adsl modem to recommend which will works with Magix ATM?

Cisco 827H is popular with SMEs, but can be a little overkill for home user, unless there is lobang for some cheap deal.

dereth mentioned CIPoA is used for Magix Premium plan, also dethangel mentioned about enabling DMZ setting, will it help in your netmeeting? Linksys combination should not have any problem.

btw, if you are selling your STP, i am keen to take over it if your price is reasonable :)

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
erba28 said:
hi wirelessdan.. i am v new to this wireless thingy n need yr advise. i intend to get the linksys W11S4 router and i have 2 PCs. One of them is on the 1st floor n the other on the 2nd. so for the connection, do i need to get 2 pcmcia cards and adapters for each of the PCs? does the pcmcia cards sold come together with the adapters? i am currently using cable for surfing.

Thanks

you mean you want to use PCMCIA wireless card on desktop PCs by using PCI to PCMCIA adapter?

i strongly advise against it. firstlythis is going to be costly, the Linksys WPC11 PCMCIA adapter is $100, the PCI converter is at least $50, total will be $150.

you can get Dlink PCI wireless adapter card for $125, but it is still not a good way. the best solution for desktop PC is still USB wireless adapter, like to Linksys WUSB11 at $125.

PCI wireless solution means the antenna unit will be at the rear panel of the CPU. the metal casing (most of the time it is connected to ground) of the CPU is a perfect shielding for radio wave. furthermore most people place the CPU below the table, worst still the back of the CPU most of the time faces the wall. with this the radio signal strength can drop by as much as 10 to 20 db, ie. the range can be reduced by 60 to 80%.

most USB wireless adapter comes with long USB extension cable, therefore you can place it at higher level eg. on top of the monitor for maximum range performance.

angscang

Reaction score
wirelessdan2002 said:
business contacts more through clients networking.
thanks for enlightening about CWNA.
"starting from lower level" advise is more for new entrants into networking line. most networking solution providers are particular about experience on top of qualifications, in order to accumulate experience, one should not be too choosy especially about job titles, also value any chance of hands on opportunity.
heard about flaws in Taiwanese products, but this Jap professor's finding is new to me, anywhere i can get more information? thanks in advance.
agree security should not be taken for granted.
i do hope i have the opportunity like u 2 do more hands-on work, or b involved in this area more ;)

No problem, i think u r gd enough 4 the certification :)

i do know of Dlink pdts being setup with vpn using L2TP or PPTP just like Cisco etc. w/o incurring add. cost of buying other HW or SW. it is written in ExtremeTech.

email me (PM), i'll pass u the info ;)
btw, do u use spectrum analyser like AirMagnet, SnifferWireless etc.? or the free ones like Netstumbler, Weintenzier (not 2 sure abt the spelling)?
cheers!

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Vladimir said:

STPro K version comes with an inbuilt Firewall (good) .. and its a rare item! ..... Don't get rid of it!!.... Nowadays finding a STPro in classifieds or yahoo is like a gem. I only managed to get 1 from Yahoo Auctions for a friend.

827 Like WirelessDan says.. its an overkill.

The nature Netmeeting works is crazy. If its a term i would want to use. It opens up a wide range of ports for its use. So ideally, setting your STPro to DMZ mode and your linksys wireless router to DMZ mode for THAT particular IP address of your computer SHOULD allow you to use netmeeting without much problems.

elfelle

Reaction score
How about Cable Modem cum Wireless Router?
Any other good brands comparable to this model shown below? Is this good? Where can I get it & at what price? StarHub got sell this? I am wondering is it the right time to invest in this product as the new Cable ITU standard DOCSIS 2.0 is completed as in Dec 2002. Wonder if the product can support software upgradeble to 2.0? Since DOCSIS 2.0 is backward-compatible to 1.x, guess it can be upgraded by software driver ...
Is it IDA Approved? Any disadvantage of using this model?

Motorola SBG1000 SurfBoard Cable Modem/5-port Wireless Router/Print Server. http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/sbg1000.html

=== Cable International Standard ===
DOCSIS 1.0 (High Speed Internet Access)
DOCSIS 1.1 (Voice, Gaming, Streaming)
DOCSIS 2.0 (Capacity for Symmetric Services)
http://www.cablemodem.com/downloads/slideshow.ppt

Pls enlighten me as above. Thanks.
:angel:

Last edited:

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
elfelle said:
How about Cable Modem cum Wireless Router?
Any other good brands comparable to this model shown below? Is this good? Where can I get it & at what price? StarHub got sell this? I am wondering is it the right time to invest in this product as the new Cable ITU standard DOCSIS 2.0 is completed as in Dec 2002. Wonder if the product can support software upgradeble to 2.0? Since DOCSIS 2.0 is backward-compatible to 1.x, guess it can be upgraded by software driver ...
Is it IDA Approved? Any disadvantage of using this model?

Motorola SBG1000 SurfBoard Cable Modem/5-port Wireless Router/Print Server. http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/sbg1000.html

=== Cable International Standard ===
DOCSIS 1.0 (High Speed Internet Access)
DOCSIS 1.1 (Voice, Gaming, Streaming)
DOCSIS 2.0 (Capacity for Symmetric Services)
http://www.cablemodem.com/downloads/slideshow.ppt

Pls enlighten me as above.
:angel:

the SBG1000 is a great product for cable users, just hope Starhub will approve it (there shouldn't be aproblem for IDA 's approval). guess the price will be quite high probably in the region of $600 to $800.

i have brought in a cheaper Taiwanese OEM version which is confirming to DOCSIS 1.1, with 4-port + wireless AP but no print server, at $300 a piece. but Starhub has declined to approve the use of this model, i am still persuing with them but seems to me that is slim chance.

for those who do not know, all cable modems for Starhub cable access are to be approved by starhub so that individual MAC address will be registered, without this registration you will not get a connection.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
another cheap and good local product.

have been really satisfied with the local brand Enzer Skyroam Silver PCMCIA wireless card, which is sold for $79 (cheapest in the market) and performs as good as if not better than leading Taiwanese brands like Linksys's and DLink's.

just tried out another local product, the Compex WLU11A USB wireless adapter, at $85 it is also the cheapest USB adapter in the market.

very neat packaging wth good finishing, much more compact than the Linksys WUSB11, almost a credit card size except the thickness.

installation was easy. performance wise semes to be as good as the WUSB11 indoor, getting 50% signal strength with 2 brick walls in between link, and 35% with 3. will be carrying out some outdoor tests to determine its range performance,

overall a very competent product, at $40 discount to the Linksys's price tag of $125, it is definitely a good budget buy.

Last edited:

darr

Reaction score
Theoden said:
can anyone tell me, why is it that most people are using the 802.11B network routers or acess point, but no one is using the 802.11G based? i thought 802.11G is suppose to be better? pls correct me...i very green in these stuff.

There are 2 groups of people why they are using 802.11b and not 802.11g.
1 - 802.11b products are cheaper.
2 - knowing 802.11g is not finalized yet.

Do not rush to get the 802.11g products yet. It took so long for the dust to settle (2 years in fact) for 802.11g to use OFDM (the modulation used by 802.11a) to obtain 54Mbps. Before that you will have seen multiple support for different speeds and such....

Wait till 802.11g standard is ratified, and you can expect it to be earliest at July this year. Even then check the features supported carefully. Don't end up with what many people are having problems now with the 802.11b networks.

I won't list the technical issues here, but just to tell those interested. 802.11g products vary at this point of time and I bet you that most will not be full-802.11g compliant (not even with firmware upgrades) when the standard is finalized.

This is the same issue why people get varying performance with different 802.11b products, you don't simply keep testing products and come to a conclusion. I can list down all the different protocols, features and tell you which combination of products give you the best speeds and security.

For the easy way out for consumers is still to stick to one vendor or combine products that are Wi-Fi (WECA) certified. At least they did the testing the logical way: a 802.11b product that you see off the shelf won't necessary be fully compliant or support the standard feature set, because no one said so. You can find 802.11b wireless card working at a turbo mode of 22Mbps but go back home you find it not to be so, simply because your AP and other existing wireless cards are not from the same vendor or even the same family.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
good points here by darr, let us just enjoy the downwards price pressure on 802.11B products due to more competition especially our 2 local players Enzer and Compex. leave the 802.11G to the more adventurous few.

darr

Reaction score
Thanks. Your testings must have helped a lot of people making wise decisions also.

Just an added info on the 802.11g. Most of the issues yet to be resolved are mostly trival to users. But it is very important to ensure that the 802.11g product you get fully supports 802.11b such that it recognise the modulation scheme used by 802.11b and this is not firmware-upgradable. Why important? 802.11b user-base is too large, and not everyone will simply flip over and embrace the new standard. Beside 802.11b has the range advantage and would thus hang around for a long time in places where range is priority over bandwidth.

Also recently announced was an additional compliance for WPA (Wireless Protected Access), a certification requirement by WECA to strengthen security, but that's the side issue because compliant or not it has nothing to do with throughput or compatibility. So don't be too concerned if the new wireless card you intend to buy does not have WPA because it is firmware upgradable when it's available and that's if you need it.

I have restrictions to discuss certain security issues so I shall not say more. But what I have said here is sufficient for the masses.

Have fun networking. But remember wireless have no boundaries, take care of your security. You will be surprised how easy to snoop data off the air. So I advise you not to perform wireless sensitive transactions unless you know your security implementations.

:bounce:

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
a white hat out there mr. darr? :)

agree that 11B is here to stay, especially with the downwards price pressure contributed by more and more players into the market, and the upcoming launch of the 11G's range.

chances that the prices of the 11B's range will be lowered to a very very competitive range, $30 to $50 for client products, below $100 for APs/routers. in this case it will be even more cost effective and practical than the wired networking once WPA is in placed, considering the cost of laying cables and trunking and the terminals.

though teething problems can be expected for the 11B-11G compatibility issues, with the much more coordinated efforts by all agencies and big players, the 11G's launch should be pretty smooth, and the scene of wireless networking will be really interesting.

zard

Reaction score
Hi wirelessdan2002,

I am using Singtel Magix PremiumSurf but on ethernet using a Efficient 5660 modem router. I connect the 5660 to a Linksys 5 port switch. Recently, after connecting for a while, my internet connection will suddenly disapper (cannot connect to internet).

I have 2 desktop connected to the Linksys 5 port switch. I also have a notebook that I cannot to the switch during weekends. I suspect the Linksys switch might be going to 'konk-off'.

In this case, like to seek some advice from you. Can I use the Fulbond XI-1250, connect to my 5660 and get 2 usb wireless adaptors for my 2 desktops? For my notebook, can I use my office's cisco wireless pc card?

If the above is possible, what would you suggest for the usb wireless adaptors?

The 2 desktops would be side by side in my room. My notebook, either use in my room or out of my room (behind one wall of the room).

Is the Fulbond XI-1250 cheapest wireless AP with good results?

Thanking you in advance for your advise.

My email is zard@myrealbox.com

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
zard said:

not too sure if the problem is really due to the failing of the switch, infact it is unlikely for semiconductor switch to have deteriorated condition, which usualy happen in electro-mechanical devices.

but if you are ready for wireless networking since your notebook is already wireless capable, no harm using this as an excuse to go ahead :)

in fact you came at the right time, if it was few days ago before i discovered this latest gem in the Compex WLU11A USB wireless adapter, i would have suggested you to get a wireless router instead as it would save you quite a bit by connecting the PCs to the wired LAN ports, since the only 2 USB adapters that i trusted were the Linksys WUSB11 ($125) and the DLink DWL-120 ($135).

with the Compex being priced at only $85, and performs very well and very user friendly, using it to replace NIC + network cable is now more viable with the narrowing price gap.

Fulbond XI-1250A is currently the lowest price AP on the market, and also the highest powered at 100 mw. have tested it myself and very satisfied with it.

the Cisco card (either Aironet 342 or Aironet 352) is the best you can have for your notebook, very stable, good sensitivity (means longer range) and great security feature (not required in your home network though).

welcome to the wonderful world of wireless networking!

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm ..

Sorry to barge in again :D

For Zard's case, no use getting another router as the 5660 ITSELF is a router.

No use doing NAT twice as more complications will arise. Plus the 5660's inability to do DMZ is another factor. So no use going out to grab a wireless router. More money spent.

Either get the Fulbond AP and a combo of other WLAN adaptors for your use. Or get another switch as network switch costs has fallen, IMO you can get a new switch quite cheaply.

So its: SS5660 -> Fulbond AP -> WLAN Clients

I had the 5660 hooked to an Intel wireless gateway once for sharing on 2 PCs on WLAN adaptors in my home before.

Wirelessdan2002:

Point to note also, i've had encounted alot of problems with friends and clients using compex products. Not so reliable IMO. A nightmare infact =p

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
thanks for your inputs deth.

love 5660 too it is one hell of a router, though mine is actually a born again 5260 after firmware upgrade.

had bad experience too with Compex products during its ealiest days, not so much on relaibility problem, but poor setup instructions and software supports.

but decided to give it a second chance since this new verion of WLU11A looks pretty cool, and at $85 if it works should save many some bucks for better use.

so far almost 1 week, the 2 units that i have installed has no reported problem, performing well and have been very stable.

a point about these USB adapters, the packaging and chipset designs are not as standard as the PCMCIA adapters, i had lots of problems with few other cheaper brands:

1. Mercury version ($99 from Unlimited), its utility causes serious USB devices conflict in WIn ME platform, just seen from its site that a new software version has been published, hope it solves this problem.

2. Planex (PCI) version at $109, also utility problam, and even the driver too is causing starting problem in Win 98 platform.

3. the earlier version of Dlink DWL-120, problem in installing driver for Win ME platform.

4. an OEM brand adapter, its Win XP driver causes serious USB devices conflict.

so far only have faith in the Linksys WUSB11 Ver 2.6 (though 1 batch has come contact problem with its USB connector) and the latest verson of the DLink DWL-120, so hope this Compex will bring some pride to made-in-Singapore products.

i have full respect for Taiwanese hardwares, just look at the notebooks that they are producing, but sad to say, they are extremely weak in software, guess most of us have 1 time or another, experiencing problem with Taiwanese products dirvers and utilities program. problem with too much piracy, that advances in software technology has been retarded in someways?

suppose many will agree with me that Singaporean companies are doing much better in term of software standard, though piracy exist here too (well it exists also in USA and other developed countries, look at the number of Ang Mohs here buying pirated software).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.