New cable wireless smarthub from starhub

mohamadhafiz

Reaction score
i think he refering to this smarthub, not fiber.

ur speed refering to speedtest.net/.sg or starhub test site?
and check starhub test site and see is ur plan correctly updated?
when u buy this modem, u need them to activate the correct plan.
to get 50, u need their premium plan btw.

alot of ppl here did mention the wireless signal is weaker if u saw.

Yarh i am reffering to the smarthub. I recently renewed my plan (2 yrs) to get the smarthub(FOC). I am on Maxonline premium btw not the fibre(sorry the earlier error in spelling) plans.

It seems that my old connection of VECM + Linksys router has better range and lower PING compared to the new set-up.

Networkwise, from my room i use to have full Strength(as in 5 bars) for wi-fi. Now it ranges from 3 to 4 depends.

Im also now getting a slight increas in my ping. Usually it ranges from 10-13ms, previously it was between 8-10ms sometimes lesser.

Speedwise is about the same im still getting the range of 20-25Mbps.

for accurate bandwidth testing, go to utilities.starhub.com

speedtest results reflects overseas bandwidth.

I did use singapore server when i test with speedtest. However i believe the link you gave would be more accurate. Thanks for the tip will go back and try again.

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yarh i am reffering to the smarthub. I recently renewed my plan (2 yrs) to get the smarthub(FOC). I am on Maxonline premium btw not the fibre(sorry the earlier error in spelling) plans.

It seems that my old connection of VECM + Linksys router has better range and lower PING compared to the new set-up.

Networkwise, from my room i use to have full Strength(as in 5 bars) for wi-fi. Now it ranges from 3 to 4 depends.

Im also now getting a slight increas in my ping. Usually it ranges from 10-13ms, previously it was between 8-10ms sometimes lesser.

Speedwise is about the same im still getting the range of 20-25Mbps.

I did use singapore server when i test with speedtest. However i believe the link you gave would be more accurate. Thanks for the tip will go back and try again.

since their speed is boosted, u should be getting better speeds at starhub utilities.

anyway ISP dont support 3rd party speedtest speed in most cases, since they dont own it.

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
I have encounter Wifi connection issue with my only Bro's Fujitsu laptop which runs on Aerothes Wireless card. Vista can find the SSID and DHCP captured was fine, however, Vista can't ID the network, thus naming it "Unidentified Network" and it can't connect to the internet. The rest of the devices like my PS3, old Compaq XP laptop, New Acer laptop, Andriod phones, iPhone etc have no problems connecting and establishing internet connections.

After wasting 2 hours on his lappy, I decide to use my extra DLink USB N dongle on his laptop and Vista was able to connect to the network and internet.

I do not have this problem with my Dlink DIR 655 router at all. Really cracking my head on this issue.

Btw, I also agree that the Wifi signal is not as strong as the 655.

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will changing password encryption help? just a suggestion.

and type u use for password encryption.

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
will changing password encryption help? just a suggestion.

and type u use for password encryption.

Thanks for the reply but it's not the encryption problem as that is for authentication purpose to the router. If the authentication fails, the system can't even get the pushed down IP and DNS from the DHCP. ;)

Maybe, I should give more details.

The laptop is about to detect the SSID, connect to the router, gets the DHCP IP, gateway and DNS but not able to connect to the internet wirelessly. Even with static IP inputs to the laptop, the problem remains.

Plug an USB N dongle in, Voila! Everything works great but that's not my original intention of how it should connect. :(

Last edited:

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cos USB the network driver is inside it mah.

so i dont get the point of "If the authentication fails, the system can't even get the pushed down IP and DNS from the DHCP. "

because its totally 2 different network card, one is inbuilt, the other is on the usb.

i am not too technical too, just wondering how does that mean.

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
cos USB the network driver is inside it mah.

so i dont get the point of "If the authentication fails, the system can't even get the pushed down IP and DNS from the DHCP. "

because its totally 2 different network card, one is inbuilt, the other is on the usb.

i am not too technical too, just wondering how does that mean.

No problem.

Very simple. No matter built in or not, driver is still needed to be installed. Detection can be by OS or by utility provided.

On the point of authentication failure on passphrase will not get DHCP pushed down IP and DNS, is referring to the router being set as a "DHCP server" and the connecting devices are "DHCP Clients". As such, if a passphrase (can be WEP, WPA, WPA-2 etc) is needed to connect to the router, the DHCP Client (laptop in this case) will need to enter the passphrase to establish a handshake with the DHCP server (wifi router). Once the passphrase is correctly entered at client side and identified by the server, the DHCP server will then pushed down an IP, subnet mask, gateway, DNS 1, DNS2 and DNS3 to the client for access to its controlled network. In another words, Security Protected Network.

I can have 2 different network cards on one system accessing to different networks each time I enable either of each. All I have to do is to assign the router to be the DHCP server and if I want, assigning individual reserved IP to the individual network cards, i.e. Network Card A will be assigned 192.168.10.20 with router A, whereas Network Card B will be assigned 192.168.20.10 with router B.

Will be very technical to explain in depth. I suggest that you google DHCP server and DHCP client for more technical details ;).

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
Your notebook network card or mainboard has hardware issue already lor...

I also thought of that initially, however, that's not the problem sadly. I revert back to my DIR655 and the detection plus connection to the internet is smooth as silk. When I switched to the new wireless hub, the problem is back.

I suspect driver but there's no update to it. It also seems like a Vista problem and a number of end users reported that disabling IPv6 protocol helps but not so in my case. :(

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway think u call starhub and let them investigate further.

they dont believe they can send tech down for them to investigate.

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
I'll give starhub technical support a pass as they may not even want to care since 8 out of 9 is able to connect and surf. I think its more of software problem. Anyway, I'll do more research to see if I could get to the root of the problem.

Reaction score
I also thought of that initially, however, that's not the problem sadly. I revert back to my DIR655 and the detection plus connection to the internet is smooth as silk. When I switched to the new wireless hub, the problem is back.

I suspect driver but there's no update to it. It also seems like a Vista problem and a number of end users reported that disabling IPv6 protocol helps but not so in my case. :(

I myself also facing this problem at home... The wifi connection is not as strong as dlink 655... Moreover using one vista laptop at home, the speed can decrease till 6+ mbps! While my netbook which is running on 7 starter can clock slightly over 23 Mbps...

Called starhub cso and they cant do anything... Saying that this cisco gateway is new and they don't have the knowledge to help... But they were saying that it's a good performer...

Thus I was thinking of using back my dlink 655 for a more stable and strong wifi connection... But dunno how to go around doing it...

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got fren with such problem with windows 7.
not sure what is the status now.

so i doubt u can solve it magically at the moment.

u got window 7 to verify?
but maybe ur one is vista kena only. or vista + win7, hard to say.

what OS is on ur new acer?

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
got fren with such problem with windows 7.
not sure what is the status now.

so i doubt u can solve it magically at the moment.

u got window 7 to verify?
but maybe ur one is vista kena only. or vista + win7, hard to say.

what OS is on ur new acer?

Only Vista have this problem. My old Compaq runs on XP SP3, new Acer on Win7 Hm Premium 64 bits, 2 x Android 2.02 phones, 1 x iPhone 4, 1 x PS3. All other platforms no problems, only Vista.

Reaction score
I'll give starhub technical support a pass as they may not even want to care since 8 out of 9 is able to connect and surf. I think its more of software problem. Anyway, I'll do more research to see if I could get to the root of the problem.

Bro found anyways to improve the wifi speed and signal?

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only Vista have this problem. My old Compaq runs on XP SP3, new Acer on Win7 Hm Premium 64 bits, 2 x Android 2.02 phones, 1 x iPhone 4, 1 x PS3. All other platforms no problems, only Vista.

cant guarantee is ur OS and this modem conflict or ur comp got problem.

but quite hard to replicate ur problem then. since its isolated.

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
cant guarantee is ur OS and this modem conflict or ur comp got problem.

but quite hard to replicate ur problem then. since its isolated.

It is hard to replicate. However, I have narrowed it down to compatibility problem. Communications between router and integrated wireless card has somehow lost the capability to establish handshake for WAN access. For LAN access, file and print sharing have no issues.

As such, it may be something to do with the driver not able to further establish the handshake for WAN access. Binaries may be decoded wrongly or the driver may be too outdated to understand the binaries given or to return the right set of binaries to the router for WAN establishment.

Well, I'm still searching for the updated driver but not able to do so today since I'm not at home. Will continue to troubleshoot tomorrow noon.

NovJoe

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro found anyways to improve the wifi speed and signal?

The most common way is to use booster range antenna but this router comes without any antenna attachments, unlike the Dlink 655.

As such, the most logical way is to centralized its location so that there's lesser walls, doors, wires, windows grill etc to block and drop the signal packets. Otherwise, using a repeater will help greatly.

Reaction score
The most common way is to use booster range antenna but this router comes without any antenna attachments, unlike the Dlink 655.

As such, the most logical way is to centralized its location so that there's lesser walls, doors, wires, windows grill etc to block and drop the signal packets. Otherwise, using a repeater will help greatly.

I see... Have you solve your problem?

Btw... Could you recommend what is need if I decided to try and get the repeater... Dlink? Aztech?

Thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.