EDMW Knife Collectors

Lonerider

Reaction score
Just to clarify...

H1 will NOT rust; period... All H1 folding blades produced by Spyderco will not rust even in strong acids what more saltwater. There isn't any carbon in the steel so rust just doesn't form. H1 is not a stainless steel it is rustproof. All parts of the salt series including the pivots, screws and washers are rust proof. The clips on these are titanium. They are amazing value for money. Oh... The etching will fade but the blade itself will not corrode.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Ah I stand corrected! Looks like the h1 spydies are pretty good around salt water looking at the test floating around the web! Now I wonder how does benchmade's h2o series compare!

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
I don't think the H20 series will be better than the salt series. Axis locks have 2 omega springs in them which i suspect will rust. Heck, i think the whole axis mechanism will rust. Lol

Lonerider

Reaction score
I don't think the H20 series will be better than the salt series. Axis locks have 2 omega springs in them which i suspect will rust. Heck, i think the whole axis mechanism will rust. Lol

You're right... Thing about the BM water knives is that the blade is rustproof but the mechanisms are not. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Last edited:

Spurgears

Reaction score
Anyone know how much Spyderco Endura costs locally? Thanks.

Around the region of S$200

I bought my delica locally at S$150 and harpy at S$180

My Spyderco Endura in ZDP189 Steel...

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

Last edited:

Spurgears

Reaction score
Fallkniven A1 vs Cold Steel SRK

P1000395.jpg

Laminated VG10 vs VG1 San Mai

P1000394.jpg

Convex grind vs Hollow ground

viix

Master Member
Reaction score

Spurgears

Reaction score
just curious
do the collectors here practise knife fighting (Eskrima/Kali/Arnis)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima

Kinda interesting if one collects knives but not learn a relevant skill set

I collect knives for the specialty steel and also the art of the workmanship in making the knives... i.e. heat treatment and grinding, polishing, handle material etc..

The knive I collect can hold keen edge for a long period and can be hard use with no worries of damaging. it is more for survivor or hunting situation

I keep my knives locked safely in my cabinet and NEVER bring it out of the house... let alone taking it oversea... so knives fighting skill is irrelevant to me, cos if there is a situation there won't any knive to use but my own bare fist

You don't need knive fighting skill in Singapore, you need a good lawyer and lots of money

Last edited:

Spurgears

Reaction score
Finally I got the Bark River Aurora in Green Canvas Micarta...

P1000565.jpg

P1000561.jpg

P1000556.jpg

That's enough... I guess I won't be getting anymore BRKT for the time being...

Last edited:

slayergut

Reaction score
I collect knives for the specialty steel and also the art of the workmanship in making the knives... i.e. heat treatment and grinding, polishing, handle material etc..

The knive I collect can hold keen edge for a long period and can be hard use with no worries of damaging. it is more for survivor or hunting situation

I keep my knives locked safely in my cabinet and NEVER bring it out of the house... let alone taking it oversea... so knives fighting skill is irrelevant to me, cos if there is a situation there won't any knive to use but my own bare fist

You don't need knive fighting skill in Singapore, you need a good lawyer and lots of money

Hm..just curious, have you ever had your edge roll on your brkts?i heard their heat treating isnt terrible reliable. I had a Huntsman, but didn't really like it much. I like BRKTs for their scale options tho.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Hm..just curious, have you ever had your edge roll on your brkts?i heard their heat treating isnt terrible reliable. I had a Huntsman, but didn't really like it much. I like BRKTs for their scale options tho.

Actually, their heat treating is spot on (in my limited experience) if the knife edge rolls during hard use. I find their steel softer as they made their knives @ around 58-59rc than typically 60rc.. I never had mine roll so far but read the roll is usually because their edge is brought too thin from the thicker convex..
I did measure the edge thickness with a caliper and so far mine is not brought down too thin..
the plus side to a roll is it can be fixed easily on the field but a chip cannot. I personally prefer mine to roll than chip off..

on the other hand, if it chips, than their heat treat is off quite abit.

yeah, their contour handles are one of the nicest I've held!

Lonerider

Reaction score

A rolled edge is much preferred to a chipped edge... Rolled edges usually can be honed back to shape, chipped edges, you'll have to remove a lot of steel to get a nice edge again. On a convexed edge that's going to be a real pain. Honestly there is a point where if a steel is hardened too much it chips or too soft and your edge holding is bad. For impact and "hard use" it's better if a knife isn't too hard else chipping occurs. On an EDC, I'll take them as hard as they go i.e. ZDP-189.

Last edited:

Spurgears

Reaction score

Mine so far so good... no chance of rolled edge. Probably becos I havnt used it to chop a few 6x4 or 4x4. The edge thickness on mine is pretty standard

But like like what Viix and Lonerider had mentioned, rolled edge is better than chipped edge cos the former is easier to fix.

See below what Knife Test did to a Bravo1..

http://www.knifetest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1715

According to the Knifetest, Bravo1 didnt fared well at all... so is a few Chris Reeve knives they tested. Busse knive did the best, but I find it a hassle to order... :(

Unlike KnifeTest, I guess.. the few BRKT I owned should hold up just pretty well for normal folks like me

I dun really like the huntman either, the design doesnt look nice to me

Last edited:

slayergut

Reaction score
Haha yea i watched the noss4's vid for the esee4 and that got me to buy one.
BTW esee's coating is hardcore compared to my other coated blades.. My buck hoodlum and SOG government agent's coating takes a beating while the esee shrugs it off.

Haha i prefer flat grinds cause i'm used to sharpening using my lansky stones..Those for the Clamp system, i just throw the medium n fine stone into my pack without the clamp and free hand with them.

Anyway whats up with the BRKT politics over at the main forums?

I sold the huntsman cause i kept getting flat spots and a little too small....Honestly i think mora best. IF it chips or roll i just buy a new one anyway..not that it has chipped or flat on me yet...

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.