The Contact Lenses Thread

warhunter

Reaction score
i did get a consultation by their optometrist and did not just get it off the shelf like what you said. As i said, i was told by the person that due to my astig, the sides of my lens are abit thicker than the center, hence the discomfort at the sides when i first put it on.

as for the long hour usage, i guess its really my wrong. i would say that the best duration to put on the lens are between 6-7 hrs. top.

A mere consultation does not equate to a contact lens fitting. A contact lens fitting involves the taking of your medical and ocular history, checking of your eye health including staining your eye with a yellowish dye and popping in different lenses into your eye to asses the fitting of each lens before determining which is the best for your.

Did that person even look through the slit lamp (aka biomicroscope, google it if you don't know) before advising you on why you feel the discomfort? If he/she didn't, it's as good as buying off the shelf. A discomfort can also be felt at the side of the lenses if the lens fit is not optimal.

Did he/she even advise you on what you can do with lens wear, what you cannot do with lens wear, when you are not supposed to wear lenses (ie. Flu, swimming, etc) and did he/she inform you what to do if you feel that your eyes are feeling weird with the lenses on?

If there are more nos than yesses. You are not getting a proper consultation.

2pm2am

Reaction score
i did get a consultation by their optometrist and did not just get it off the shelf like what you said. As i said, i was told by the person that due to my astig, the sides of my lens are abit thicker than the center, hence the discomfort at the sides when i first put it on.

as for the long hour usage, i guess its really my wrong. i would say that the best duration to put on the lens are between 6-7 hrs. top.

what kind of contact lens consultation did you get? If it's merely getting the degree of your eyes, it's just partly done. many optomertrists do not do a proper contact lens fitting consultation because it's time consuming and customers are not willing to pay for a proper consultation.

If you have not worn a particular lens before, it's always advisable to get a trial fit, to see if the lens is suitable for you. A trial fit does not mean requesting a pair of lens and then wearing it yourself and see if it's suitable. The optometrist actually has to check and make sure the lens fit properly.

As for your case, what if you can't get used to the lenses that you have bought? Are they going to exchange it for you? or are you going to live with the discomfort, and possibly causing more harm to your eyes since you have already bought the lenses?

warhunter

Reaction score
what kind of contact lens consultation did you get? If it's merely getting the degree of your eyes, it's just partly done. many optomertrists do not do a proper contact lens fitting consultation because it's time consuming and customers are not willing to pay for a proper consultation.

If you have not worn a particular lens before, it's always advisable to get a trial fit, to see if the lens is suitable for you. A trial fit does not mean requesting a pair of lens and then wearing it yourself and see if it's suitable. The optometrist actually has to check and make sure the lens fit properly.

As for your case, what if you can't get used to the lenses that you have bought? Are they going to exchange it for you? or are you going to live with the discomfort, and possibly causing more harm to your eyes since you have already bought the lenses?

Another optom here?

chm527

Reaction score
any idea which shop in citysquare jb sells acuvue trueye or moist cheap? moist can get at sg for $45. heard contact lens are cheaper in jb.

warhunter

Reaction score
any idea which shop in citysquare jb sells acuvue trueye or moist cheap? moist can get at sg for $45. heard contact lens are cheaper in jb.

you guys just don't learn. CONTACT LENSES SHOULD NEVER BE BOUGHT OFF THE SHELF. What more in malaysia.

dudered

Reaction score
you guys just don't learn. CONTACT LENSES SHOULD NEVER BE BOUGHT OFF THE SHELF. What more in malaysia.

If you know your degree, know the brand you want, worn it suitably before and just want to get a cheaper price somewhere else, what's the harm? Care to share?

warhunter

Reaction score
If you know your degree, know the brand you want, worn it suitably before and just want to get a cheaper price somewhere else, what's the harm? Care to share?

you're eyes like any other body parts is changing every single day. You wouldn't know what is happening to your eyes unless you have regular follow up visits. Everytime you replenish your lens supply, your eyes would be checked for any signs of infection or physical "damage". your lens fitting would also be required to be updated and checked each time the lenses are dispensed to you. As i said your eye is also a biological organ which would be "changing" all the time. you wouldn't know what is happening unless someone checks it for you.

werert

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the optometry centre at Singapore poly? The prices are quite cheap but how reliable is it?

warhunter

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the optometry centre at Singapore poly? The prices are quite cheap but how reliable is it?

bro dun like that say leh. WE ALL GRADUATED FROM SP.
the students will check first then the lecturers will then double check.

Coffeebeannn

Reaction score
I really like to buy those cosmetic lenses that has no degree one leh, then will buy alot of colours at one go one :( Any safe kinds to recommend?

CrowsZero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a freshkon contact lens and use for 1 week only my left side always blur. I tried using solution and gently rub + soak and use heater.

But my lens still very blur..

warhunter

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a freshkon contact lens and use for 1 week only my left side always blur. I tried using solution and gently rub + soak and use heater.

But my lens still very blur..

don't use heater, make "bake" the deposits on the lenses. the material would also degenerate faster. go to your optometrist check on the fit again. its may be the lenses are not fitting well on ur cornea

warhunter

Reaction score
Both of you guys optom?

Sadly, the general public does not appreciate what optoms are doing for them. They can spend few hours queuing for stuffs and not 15 mins for eye check up. Sad.

Bro 看开啦. I don't care about the public already la. When I first started practicing, I did slit lamp and slit lamp fundoscopy. People don't appreciate the time I spend I just don't do it already. Which batch were u from? I'm going aus after ord.people appreciate my time and judgement better there.

warhunter

Reaction score
I really like to buy those cosmetic lenses that has no degree one leh, then will buy alot of colours at one go one :( Any safe kinds to recommend?

All lenses are generally safe when fitted properly and are cleaned and are worn responsibly.

rx7savanna

Reaction score
Bro 看开啦. I don't care about the public already la. When I first started practicing, I did slit lamp and slit lamp fundoscopy. People don't appreciate the time I spend I just don't do it already. Which batch were u from? I'm going aus after ord.people appreciate my time and judgement better there.

Going to Australia to further studies? A wise choice. Too bad I do not have the capabilities to go there. Sigh.

Will try my best to do what I can do here then. Haha

terson

Reaction score
I don't need contact lenses but I want some colored ones for costumes! like a red one for vampire costumes or zombie costumes... But I'm not sure where I can purchase good ones. I also like white lenses! or cat eye lenses.
Has anyone here experience using these "fashion" lenses? Are they easy to handle?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.