EDMW Knife Collectors

Lonerider

Reaction score
is there anyway to keep the serrations? it gets kinda helpful when removing bark from tree branches

the other side looks about the same too though.

If you have a Dremel you can cut serrations with a carbide burr. I have no other idea how you could pull it off. Unless you have the steady hands of a surgeon and the precision of an industrial robot I suggest just using a sharpening stone to turn it into a plain edge. The plus point is the steel on Victorinox knives are really easy to sharpen so it'll likely be a 15-20 minutes tops if you use a cheap combination stone.

I don't know how you use serrations to remove bark... I just came home from fishing and used my plain edged Delica to remove bark from a thin branch and whittled a point on it, used it as an improvised rod stand. Seems to work just fine. In case anyone was wondering... I came home empty handed, caught 3 huge terrapins... after the third one you kind of get the message it is time to move on. LOL

FWIW it is a user knife. Don't be too hard on your friend.

A tip... When I remove bark from small branches and twigs I use the unsharpened side of the blade (the spine). Of course this works only on fixed blades and locking folders. It's best if it has a very thin and/ or squared spine. This way I keep the edge on my blade longer.

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
I like switchblades and ballistic knives.

Too bad they're illegal.

Anyway, aren't those folding knives illegal too? They look like they're meant for killing people.

Don't believe everything that you see in the you see in the movies. If knives were very effective at killing people, guns and other methods of killing would never have been invented. When people get killed it is inevitably kitchen knives that was used. Unfortunately every household has one of those. For that matter when was the last time you heard a soldier killing someone with his bayonet or knife?

I remember watching Rambo grabbing a man from behind and slitting his throat in the movies... Nope those things don't happen much either. Breaking a grown man's neck with a simple twist, slicing a man in half with an energy sword (think Jedi knights!)... well you get the message.

Thing is we grew up watching these movies and they conditioned us to think people buy "these kind of knives" to kill people when it couldn't be further from the truth. In honest truth I'm used to people reacting that way when they see my collection... "What are you planning to do, kill someone?" LOL

holychef

Master Member
Reaction score
But why are you removing tree bark? If it's on a twig, you can just push cut with a sharp plain edge instead of using a sawing motion. And bark is pretty easy to peel off anyway. I hope you are not removing alot of bark from a live tree though.. it'll kill it.

Back to the knife, it's looks like that area is a plain edge that chip? Maybe can grind it off with a dremel and give it a slight recurve? It's not gonne be easy to freehand without going the entire cutting edge of the knife though..
well, its the branches, bigger than twigs, i am in a cca that do backwoodsman cooking and thus the need to remove the barks from the fallen branches.

Reaction score
Don't believe everything that you see in the you see in the movies. If knives were very effective at killing people, guns and other methods of killing would never have been invented. When people get killed it is inevitably kitchen knives that was used. Unfortunately every household has one of those. For that matter when was the last time you heard a soldier killing someone with his bayonet or knife?

I remember watching Rambo grabbing a man from behind and slitting his throat in the movies... Nope those things don't happen much either. Breaking a grown man's neck with a simple twist, slicing a man in half with an energy sword (think Jedi knights!)... well you get the message.

Thing is we grew up watching these movies and they conditioned us to think people buy "these kind of knives" to kill people when it couldn't be further from the truth. In honest truth I'm used to people reacting that way when they see my collection... "What are you planning to do, kill someone?" LOL

Well, a small folding knife with a sharp blade could be seen as a concealed weapon. I don't think you can drive to JB with that in your car.

where do you people get your knives? online?

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can drive to JB with that in your car.

which reminds me, last week at the airport, I was behind this fella who also purchased 2 tactical folders (cheapo replicas) and he went thru the custom red channel just fine.. had to open up the baggage for the customs officer to inspect of course..

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Any one knows how derust a knive? I have a stainless steel knive and it is super rusty

Depends how bad it is.. do you have a picture? if it's stainless steel, you can just use jif/cif and a pad and go along the grain of the blade.. if it's really bad, you can soak in WD40 overnight, then try removing with different grits of scotch brite pad or wet sandpaper.. then finish up with wet & dry sanding and polish.. the rust might have pitted the steel so there might be some spots..

Reaction score
hi guys , anyone into collecting swords ? Planning to get 1 from caesars if not online.. would appreciate comments and advises :D

slayergut

Reaction score
Well, a small folding knife with a sharp blade could be seen as a concealed weapon. I don't think you can drive to JB with that in your car.

A sharp pencil or a sharpened screwdriver is also an concealed weapon.
'These types' of knives can be found both online and locally in legit but ridiculously overpriced shops.
They're probably overpriced cause the shops capitalize on the fact that most singaporeans think that these knives are illegal, and choose to purchase locally instead of online, despite the inflated prices.
Know your laws and stay safe.

Reaction score
So what are the legal ones then?

Any specific size to follow?

I like pocket folding knives made with damascus steel.

Alot of those Ebay sellers sell their knives real cheap compared to knifeworks.

Any particular reason?:s11: more expensive knives = greater sharpness and quality?

staedtler_07

Master Member
Reaction score
Depends how bad it is.. do you have a picture? if it's stainless steel, you can just use jif/cif and a pad and go along the grain of the blade.. if it's really bad, you can soak in WD40 overnight, then try removing with different grits of scotch brite pad or wet sandpaper.. then finish up with wet & dry sanding and polish.. the rust might have pitted the steel so there might be some spots..

I'll try to take a pic and you guys see... It's really bad...

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
Swords, best go to Caesars. Expensive, but if you want a katana then bo bian lor. I got hanwei ninjato and xl light katana, u want i can sell at 2nd hand price.

slayergut

Reaction score
So what are the legal ones then?

Any specific size to follow?

I like pocket folding knives made with damascus steel.

Alot of those Ebay sellers sell their knives real cheap compared to knifeworks.

Any particular reason?:s11: more expensive knives = greater sharpness and quality?

If u go back tru the old threads i believe the types of legal/banned knives have been gone over quite a few times already..
No daggers/balisongs/gravity/Automatics/all sorts of weird stuff are not allowed.
Basically if you just want a manual folding pocket knife, it's fine..
More expensive does not necessarily mean better. But more often than not they're more awesome.

Reaction score
If u go back tru the old threads i believe the types of legal/banned knives have been gone over quite a few times already..
No daggers/balisongs/gravity/Automatics/all sorts of weird stuff are not allowed.
Basically if you just want a manual folding pocket knife, it's fine..
More expensive does not necessarily mean better. But more often than not they're more awesome.

I kinda like this. I think it should be able to pass the customs. But it looks a little bit like a dagger.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/AWESOME-ROYA...ble_Knives&hash=item27be0daf3c#ht_2920wt_1026

Anyway, other than the looks, is there anything special about damascus steel knives?

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
I also hear that damascus is prone to rust issues...

Depends on what they use. Al Mar and Mcusta damascus is made of stainless steel and nickel respectively, which doesn't rust easily/rust.
Then, there are some which just uses an acid treatment to create the damascus effect.

richdsu

Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.