[Guide]How to RMA your Intel Processor

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seen some post on RMA-ing their Intel processors, hence i decided to make a post thread over here, added some more information on top of the vr zone forum post thread. (RIP VR-zone)

Latest updates
16/1/2012

Updated information at Post #35
26/5/2012
Added FeDex documents at Post #53*Huge thanks to raidorz*
06/09/2017
Revised FeDex documents at Post #70*Thanks Encrypted11*
Updated main post
11/07/2022
Updated phone number in main post; ref Post #78*Thanks kira.yiktah*

*Due to the 8 picture per post limit, I will not be able to cramp everything into this post

What do I need?
CPU obviously -Write down all the information engraved on the CPU IHS, as in the picture below.
5609_image1.jpg

Older processors
* Irrelevant as processors made before 2006 would be out of warranty.
DSC00974-Edited.jpg

CPU heatsink and fan (HSF) - sometimes they will ask you the numbers printed on the HSF, sometimes not. Both the "Fan Part Number" and "Manufacturer Part Number" may be required.

The first number on the fan sticker is the Fan Part Number.
Usually the third line on the fan sticker is the Manufacturer Part Number.

Intel uses multiple manufacturers to supply their boxed fan heatsink so the numbers may vary.

HSF labels
DELTA
Delta fan follows the Manufacturer Part Number format DTC-XXXXX.
fandeltai7.jpg

FUJIKURA
Fujikura fan follows the Manufacturer Part Number format FHP-XXXXX.
fanfujikura1.jpg

NIDEC CORP.
Nidec fan follows the Manufacturer Part Number format F09A-XXXXXX.
fannidec1.jpg

FOXCONN
Foxconn fan follows the Manufacturer Part Number format FNXXXXXX.
fanfoxconn1.jpg

INTEL
Intel® Thermal Solution follows the Manufacture Part Number Format GXXXXX-XXX.
10567_thermal-solution.jpg

Intel® Fan BTX follows the Manufacture Part Number Format HXXXXX-XXX.
10567_BTX.jpg

Online process

Phone:
Step 1
Call 1800 723 1246 (toll free) during office hours from 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday

Step 2
Follow the telephone interactive menu

Step 3
When connected to the CSO, the CSO will ask you to give her your contact informations and address. the CSO will also ask you about the nature of your problem.

Step 4
The CSO will transfer the call to the technical support officer. The technical support officer would then ask for the nature of your problem and then walk you through the troubleshooting process.
*Note: Do not tell them anything about you overclocking the processor or you did not use the stock heat sink fan. Doing so will VOID your warranty.*

Step 5
When the technical support officer confirmed that you indeed have a faulty processor, he will then confirm your name and contact information and ask for details engraved on the CPU IHS.(refer to the image at the top of the post)

After which, he will assign you a RMA number for your RMA, which YOU MUST keep it for the RMA process.
Then follow his instructions.

Step 6
After 1 - 3 days, you will receive a call from Fedex telling you that you have a document to be delivered to you within the day. After you received the documents, fill in all 3 blue copies of the Return Commercial Invoice and 3 copies of the return Fedex Air Way Bill.

Step 7
After you have finished filling up all the documents, check through thoroughly the documents and have the package ready which you have packed in your faulty processor earlier to be send back to RMA.

Step 8
Once the courier has picked up the documents and processor from you, they will sent it back to the Intel Assembly Factory located in Penang, Malaysia. Will take about 1 - 2 days to get there.

When the technicians at the factory received your faulty processor, they will send you an email confirming their receipt. Wait one or two days while they do some confirmation check on your faulty item. They will then send you another email to confirm that they will send you the replacement processor.

It may take another 3 days to receive your processor after they send you the confirmation email. You will receive a call from Fedex when the processor is ready to be send to you.

Sause: Where Can I Find Intel® Boxed Processors and Fan Part Numbers?

Check warranty: https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=us-EN

Last edited:

Mythmaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That time when I RMA mine...

CSO: Sir, do you overclock your processor?
Me: Duh, I watercooled it. What you think?

Maybe that's why it took 2.5 hours to issue me a RMA number =/

hg_wng

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That time when I RMA mine...

CSO: Sir, do you overclock your processor?
Me: Duh, I watercooled it. What you think?

Maybe that's why it took 2.5 hours to issue me a RMA number =/
:s13: u forgot what i told u?

igniz12000

Reaction score
Wah bad omen sia :s16: Next week getting new rig and then suddenly this topic appear. Hehe, just kidding. Truth is I never RMA anything before, when anything faulty, usually just throw away and get new stuff but then again I used to buy not so top-of-the-line stuff and luckily for me it only get faulty after quite long usage. This is very useful for people like me who just never bother with RMA before.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah bad omen sia :s16: Next week getting new rig and then suddenly this topic appear. Hehe, just kidding. Truth is I never RMA anything before, when anything faulty, usually just throw away and get new stuff but then again I used to buy not so top-of-the-line stuff and luckily for me it only get faulty after quite long usage. This is very useful for people like me who just never bother with RMA before.
:s13::s13:
Just pray your stuff dun go kapoot lor.
Me planning to try RMA the working celeron D in the post:s22:

cyberwave

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

rich man spotted :o

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
+1. Support this thread. :D

But what is posted is not a processor but a keychain :s22:

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No lah, just that I was and ignorant/clueless consumer before when I was young, but you get older and you see the value of money more and try to squeeze more for you buck then throwing it down the bin.
Do more for the environment!:D
My also cannot anyhow throw, got budget huan:s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.