Considerations for choosing monitor

KURATA

Reaction score
Considerations for choosing monitor

Display size of monitor
Bigger display is better. However, do note that you should have sufficient distance to place your monitor towards your eyes.
Keep a distance of 50cm from your eyes to the screen.
No point getting a 30 inch monitor if your viewing distance is less than 30cm. Your eyes will suffer!

Pixel pitch on the monitor screen size
In this case, smaller pixel pitch is better, which is more pixel per inch.

For example :
Display resolution
1920×1080 (1080p)

Mega Pixel

Aspect Ratio
16:9

Screen Size / Pixel pitch (mm) / Pixel per inch
21.5” / 0.248mm / 102.5
23” / 0.265mm / 95.8
23.6” / 0.272mm / 93.3
24” / 0.277mm / 91.8
24.6” / 0.284mm / 89.6
27” / 0.311mm / 81.6

Format for monitor
4:3 – Standard format
16:9 – International standard format of HDTV
16:10 – Good for viewing widescreen movies
16:9 is good to go.

Response time for monitor
2ms or less – Excellent
5ms – Good
8ms or more – Normal
Response time 2ms is good for serious gaming.
More like advertising hype, can your eyes see the difference between 2ms and 5ms?

Types of monitor
CRT: Legacy monitors which occupy a lot of space.
LCD: Most common type of monitor in the market and occupies less space compare to CRT
LED: Note that this is a LCD monitor that use LED backlight, uses less power than LCD monitor but more costly due to its technology.

Types of LCD monitor
Twisted nematic (TN) - The inexpensive twisted nematic display is the most common consumer display type.

In-plane switching (IPS) - In-plane switching was developed by Hitachi Ltd. in 1996 to improve on the poor viewing angle and the poor color reproduction of TN panels at that time.

Advanced fringe field switching (AFFS) - This is an LCD technology derived from the IPS by Boe-Hydis of Korea. Known as fringe field switching (FFS) until 2003, advanced fringe field switching is a technology similar to IPS or S-IPS offering superior performance and colour gamut with high luminosity.

Multi-domain vertical alignment (MVA) - Multi-domain vertical alignment was originally developed in 1998 by Fujitsu as a compromise between TN and IPS.

Patterned vertical alignment (PVA) - Patterned vertical alignment and super patterned vertical alignment (S-PVA) are alternative versions of MVA technology offered by Samsung's and Sony's joint venture S-LCD.

Advanced super view (ASV) - Advanced super view, also called axially symmetric vertical alignment was developed by Sharp. It is a VA mode where liquid crystal molecules orient perpendicular to the substrates in the off state. The bottom sub-pixel has continuously covered electrodes, while the upper one has a smaller area electrode in the center of the subpixel.

Brightness and Contrast
The two main user adjustments of a video monitor.
Brightness - It adds or subtracts an offset, or bias, into the red, green, and blue signals.
Contrast - It applies a scale factor (gain) to the red, green, and blue signals.
You may want to see and try this at those electronics shops displaying the monitors for comparison.
Brightness 250 cd/m2 and Contrast 1000:1 is good to go.

Power Consumption
The lower, the better. :s13:

Graphic card for monitor
Do ensure that your graphic card can support your monitor.
Check the display port requirements such as VGA, DVI, HDMI and DP.

Conclusion
Hope this helps you to decide your desirable monitor. Enjoy!
:s12::s12::s12:

KURATA

Reaction score
Good info. Deserves a sticky! :D

Thanks!
Hope this can help those who are deciding to buy a monitor... :s7:

Another consideration is personal liking.
One must like the monitor when buying it beacause he/she have to face it for the next few years... :yawn:

Darkness_Eye

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Graphic card for monitor
Do ensure that your graphic card can support your monitor.
Check the display port requirements such as VGA, DVI, HDMI and DP.

How to check what monitor my graphic card can support ? My graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT :o I scare later i buy monitor already my CPU cant support it :s8:
So someone teach me please ty ;)

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
support here means the kind of port the graphics card has, is also available on the monitor. like VGA, dvi, hdmi, display port, make sure both have before u buy. most should have dvi so no worries

Darkness_Eye

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
support here means the kind of port the graphics card has, is also available on the monitor. like VGA, dvi, hdmi, display port, make sure both have before u buy. most should have dvi so no worries

So how see what port my graphic card have ? So get DVI port monitor is safe liao ? :s13: Thx for your reply :o

Darkness_Eye

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most monitor supports DVI and VGA not HDMI and Display port (the latter 2 only some montiors has)

You can check which brand and revision of the GFX you have with the manufacturer website.

Or fast... look at your GFX back... and see the ports... got dvi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I think my com got DVI de bah :s13: then should be no prob le :s12: Thanks for your help :s13: tomorrow shop for monitor le :)

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Special offers for widescreen montior (19")

hi guys!!!

are there any specail offers for widescreen montior, esp 19"

enriqueyang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://hdmivsdvi.com/

i just bought asus ML239H

i read that links and it seems that not much different between hmdi and dvi?

does performance in term in term of watching MV and playing games differs alot of HDMI and DVI?

relaxman

Reaction score
Hi Bro/Sis, I got a slight problem. I just brought a Sansui 22" LED TV. I've connected it to my PC via VGA cable, but some time it cannot track 1920x1080. It goes down to 1200X900. I'm using core2duo with 4GB ram and 5450 1GB graphic card. At first I connect via HDMI cable but after a while it goes blank, so I'm connecting using VGA. Is it the graphic card? Thank in advance.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bro/Sis, I got a slight problem. I just brought a Sansui 22" LED TV. I've connected it to my PC via VGA cable, but some time it cannot track 1920x1080. It goes down to 1200X900. I'm using core2duo with 4GB ram and 5450 1GB graphic card. At first I connect via HDMI cable but after a while it goes blank, so I'm connecting using VGA. Is it the graphic card? Thank in advance.

Well it does seems that u have to see what game and also cards itself cant load that high resolution for quite long, or whatsoever resasons. But hopes that ur cpu is alrite...

Hope this link helps u understand:
http://alteriw.net/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=82042
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9152369
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeon-hd5670-hd5570-hd5450_13.html

edit: Using this card might not be the ideal card =P (but den agn which brands are u using anyway???) (Pardon me of not asking this 1st =| )

Last edited:

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://hdmivsdvi.com/

i just bought asus ML239H

i read that links and it seems that not much different between hmdi and dvi?

does performance in term in term of watching MV and playing games differs alot of HDMI and DVI?
basically, HDMI and DVI are almost same. just that HDMI carries sound but DVI can support a higher resolution

Last edited:

relaxman

Reaction score
Thank you ZrE0_Cha0s,
I just google for the graphic driver and downloaded the driver and now i think is OK.(cross my finger).

dumdo_750

Reaction score
can someone give me opinion on this monitor: Samsung
S23A350H

is it good for gaming??? read that it only has vga no dvi....
looking at this cos this has hdmi port which in future if i buy PS3 i can still use back the same monitor

MarineX

Banned
Reaction score
can someone give me opinion on this monitor: Samsung
S23A350H

looking at this cos this has hdmi port which in future if i buy PS3 i can still use back the same monitor

normal ?

good for gaming ? hmm.. imo.. good enough coz no ghosting.

i am using it btw :)

yes it will work on PS3 as well...

like me..

i connect 1 vga and 1 hdmi so at anytime i can just switch it accordingly.

dumdo_750

Reaction score
normal ?

good for gaming ? hmm.. imo.. good enough coz no ghosting.

i am using it btw :)

yes it will work on PS3 as well...

like me..

i connect 1 vga and 1 hdmi so at anytime i can just switch it accordingly.

so using vga during desktop gaming??
i thought vga does not display not very good quality onto the screen?

Dav66id77

Reaction score

mysteryship

Reaction score
some monitor has spec of 5M:1 10M:1 and even 20M:1 may i know what is this? the more M the better or less M better in this case??

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.