Big problem with Starhub's new CISCO DPC3925 modem

mio1771

Reaction score
I have always been a big fan of Starhub Internet ever since I moved to Singapore.

This time, while I was moving to a new condo, I applied for an additional MaxOnline Ultime (100mbps). (and my existing one moved to a separate address)

Now the nightmare starts.

I was getting frequent disconnections. If I were to search the Internet it was ... "okay" to be honest, although I get the feeling of lagging and some kind of delays.

Most evident problem showed up when I was trying to download something. Very frequently, the download would stop so I would need to redo redo and redo...

Here are the problems I faced.
- Definitely problem with WiFi access meaning weak signals across the house. But I'm not even talking about WiFi. I had used a wired connection. And we're not even talking about speed. The test results were good with 90~100mbps. But disconnection was the major problem.
- For Wired connection, don't try testing me out guys. I did a direct connection out of the all-in-one router and nothing else connected.
- Defect of the Router? NO. I was changed the router to a new modem (same model) and same problem persisted.
- The Starhub engineer that came showed me turning off the "Block IP Flooding" feature in the Firewall settings, but that also didn' do any help.

I had complained strongly and asked to change to the old Motorola modem. Now with the good old Motorola one, I do not have the disconnection and the overall performance is much higher. No feeling of delay or lag and the download of bigger files do not result in ANY disconnection.

I am quite surprised how they could release a modem with this problem, and expect their MaxOnline "Ultimate" users, who are paying more money for more speed and stability, to live with the problems like this. I'm sure it's not their fault, and more of the manufacturers, but
- Starhub and CISCO should both listen to their customers' complaints. Their customers are not stupid and most users know more IT than their engineers or call center girls who just follow the customer response manuals. Many of their customers are experts.
- From the country I come, in order for a Telco company to distribute such modem to customer, they go for a near year field test, very heavy one, to make sure this problem does not occur. Because once occured, the amount of money loss on the modem as well as their customers' precious time, also the brand damage is severe. I am not sure how long and intensive the testing of this modem was, but it all seems to me this modem has a major, MAJOR problem, that not all users will report... but many and more & more will do.

Make sure you guys don't end up using this modem.

DAREN771

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u have frequent d/c, try to ask the starhub engineer to look into your area line.

I last time got connection reset issues in my area. After calling 1633, they look into the issue and resolved it. Now I have little or no random d/c in my bb modem. I am also using DPC3925 modem .

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sounds like its your area and the modem, have you feedback that?

whaleshark87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u have frequent d/c, try to ask the starhub engineer to look into your area line.

I last time got connection reset issues in my area. After calling 1633, they look into the issue and resolved it. Now I have little or no random d/c in my bb modem. I am also using DPC3925 modem .
er.... I don't think is signal ba... Since ts say download half way will stop. Should be wireless signal weak or congested. Else is the destination dropped you from the download.

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
er.... I don't think is signal ba... Since ts say download half way will stop. Should be wireless signal weak or congested. Else is the destination dropped you from the download.

I think ts isolate to modem Liao, if he can reproduce it once more using that modem either his nic don't like the modem or just simply that modem got problem..

Smurfette

Reaction score
I'm also having problems with this model. Very bad speed issues and it disconnects quite a bit too. Even though I've upgraded my mbps, the Cisco DPC3925 works worse than my old Linksys one which starts up ready to go. With the DPC3925, I have to wait a minute or two to establish a connection and many times, mobile phones are unable to connect. At a loss of what to do here.

riosuke

Reaction score
I've been with this modem for 2 mths already. So far everything is good. I didn't do any manual config, just went with default.

Speeds fluctuations i can attribute to the peak periods during the day.

The wireless signal strength however, is quite bad once i have my device in any room other than the living room where the modem resides. Got around it by hooking up the connection to my old linksys wireless router which is in my own room.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just switched to this modem. LAN runs fine but major problem with wireless. It keeps loosing connection intermittently when surfing on wireless devices. Any recommendations for a quick fix? Am thinking of just using it as a bridge and get another wireless router.

annai

Reaction score
I have always been a big fan of Starhub Internet ever since I moved to Singapore.

This time, while I was moving to a new condo, I applied for an additional MaxOnline Ultime (100mbps). (and my existing one moved to a separate address)

Now the nightmare starts.

I was getting frequent disconnections. If I were to search the Internet it was ... "okay" to be honest, although I get the feeling of lagging and some kind of delays.

Most evident problem showed up when I was trying to download something. Very frequently, the download would stop so I would need to redo redo and redo...

Here are the problems I faced.
- Definitely problem with WiFi access meaning weak signals across the house. But I'm not even talking about WiFi. I had used a wired connection. And we're not even talking about speed. The test results were good with 90~100mbps. But disconnection was the major problem.
- For Wired connection, don't try testing me out guys. I did a direct connection out of the all-in-one router and nothing else connected.
- Defect of the Router? NO. I was changed the router to a new modem (same model) and same problem persisted.
- The Starhub engineer that came showed me turning off the "Block IP Flooding" feature in the Firewall settings, but that also didn' do any help.

I had complained strongly and asked to change to the old Motorola modem. Now with the good old Motorola one, I do not have the disconnection and the overall performance is much higher. No feeling of delay or lag and the download of bigger files do not result in ANY disconnection.

I am quite surprised how they could release a modem with this problem, and expect their MaxOnline "Ultimate" users, who are paying more money for more speed and stability, to live with the problems like this. I'm sure it's not their fault, and more of the manufacturers, but
- Starhub and CISCO should both listen to their customers' complaints. Their customers are not stupid and most users know more IT than their engineers or call center girls who just follow the customer response manuals. Many of their customers are experts.
- From the country I come, in order for a Telco company to distribute such modem to customer, they go for a near year field test, very heavy one, to make sure this problem does not occur. Because once occured, the amount of money loss on the modem as well as their customers' precious time, also the brand damage is severe. I am not sure how long and intensive the testing of this modem was, but it all seems to me this modem has a major, MAJOR problem, that not all users will report... but many and more & more will do.

Make sure you guys don't end up using this modem.

For all you know, it might well be the coaxial infrastructure in your new condo having noise interference or poor signal level. Some modems are very sensitive to the RF signal level fluctuation and may drop connection.
May the engineer check your coaxial point since it's not Wireless related in your case.

Reborns

Reaction score
For all you know, it might well be the coaxial infrastructure in your new condo having noise interference or poor signal level. Some modems are very sensitive to the RF signal level fluctuation and may drop connection.
May the engineer check your coaxial point since it's not Wireless related in your case.

then it is still modem issue

i have a similar issue with TS

my building is very old.. hence noisy
the engineer already check up and down and round about
in the end .. issue me the old motorola modem

problem solved...

santa74

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just switched to this modem. LAN runs fine but major problem with wireless. It keeps loosing connection intermittently when surfing on wireless devices. Any recommendations for a quick fix? Am thinking of just using it as a bridge and get another wireless router.

then it is still modem issue

i have a similar issue with TS

my building is very old.. hence noisy
the engineer already check up and down and round about
in the end .. issue me the old motorola modem

problem solved...

Me also facing same problem. I facing D/C by the AIO modem auto restart itself frequently. I don't think this issue is not related to area or coaxial infrastructure since it is auto restart...

woodelf

Reaction score
To anyone contemplating signing up with starhub or upgrading to ultimate cable - think again!
The CISCO DPC3925 is junk - it's wireless connections (even 2 M away) are dropping all the time. It's just unusable Starhub.
I have to get the old Motorola back!

Reaction score
I am giving up on this modem/ router, still facing wireless issues.

Going to use as a bridge device and getting a proper router, any recommendations?

Prefer one with gigabit lan.

vgoh77

Reaction score
Hi, need some advice.. I just sign up a new MOL premium and my current setup is Motorola 5100 modem and Asus RT-N15U router. I was told by the CS officer from SH that the maximum D/L speed I can achieve will only up to 32mbps bcoz of the modem im using. So should I get the CISCO DPC3925 modem? If yes, will it improve my D/L speed? can I use it purely as a modem so I can connect it to my router as many had complain about it wireless ability..

Thanks

r_aquarii

Reaction score
i thought im the only one getting this intermittent disconnection!!
i upgrade from 16mpbs to 50mpbs and was issued with this DSP3925 and my nightmare begin.
70% of the time i getting only 16mpbs instead of 50mpbs using speedtest.net
the technician come over just to replace the splitter and coaixal cable but it didn't solve the problem at all

waps02

Reaction score
Using Speedtest is not accurate. There are many factors that can determine the test results..most common is how much pipe and bandwidth the hosting company has committed to speedtest, which in turn allowing user to run a speedtest to their server.
Server Singtel seems to be more stable IMO.

Try downloading from Torrent, file hosting sites, youtube. The d/l speed should tell you whether you are getting Value for money on the package you have signed up.

LASTLY, looked at the fine prints on SH brochures for their broadband plans MOL and Fibre. Example if you are on MOL Premium- your d/l speed is up to 50Mbps. International speed is UP TO 18Mbps.
Most of the webpage we commonly go to are hosted elsewhere. do you think we can even hit 18Mbps? 50Mbps is local speed.

Internet is not a direct link, it is a WEB. Internet traffics are routed all over the place before getting to the server and back. Do a tracehost and often you see at least 7 IP addresses and ISP (some as far as Korea and HK) before being routed back.

So a little suggestion, surf the web, play the games, check facebook. If the pages are being loaded much faster then your previous ISP or previous plan, then be happy.
You do not spend $$$ just to speedtest and look at the figures and sulk all the time.

r_aquarii

Reaction score
Using Speedtest is not accurate. There are many factors that can determine the test results..most common is how much pipe and bandwidth the hosting company has committed to speedtest, which in turn allowing user to run a speedtest to their server.
Server Singtel seems to be more stable IMO.

Try downloading from Torrent, file hosting sites, youtube. The d/l speed should tell you whether you are getting Value for money on the package you have signed up.

LASTLY, looked at the fine prints on SH brochures for their broadband plans MOL and Fibre. Example if you are on MOL Premium- your d/l speed is up to 50Mbps. International speed is UP TO 18Mbps.
Most of the webpage we commonly go to are hosted elsewhere. do you think we can even hit 18Mbps? 50Mbps is local speed.

Internet is not a direct link, it is a WEB. Internet traffics are routed all over the place before getting to the server and back. Do a tracehost and often you see at least 7 IP addresses and ISP (some as far as Korea and HK) before being routed back.

So a little suggestion, surf the web, play the games, check facebook. If the pages are being loaded much faster then your previous ISP or previous plan, then be happy.
You do not spend $$$ just to speedtest and look at the figures and sulk all the time.

the main issue is not slow connection.
is getting DC, completely NO WEB CONNECTION at all every 30min.
imagine how frustrating when your download get cut off and got to start all over again

just to add, i'm using direct connection. not the useless wireless that the dpc3925 provide

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
Im under MOL express 16mbps, and my max download speed is around 1.65mbps on a single file on this cisco router.

I use to get 2mbps, on the Motorola modem + Dlink 615.

May i ask if its the cisco 3925 router problem? Lan cable problem? Signal problem? or what/whos problem?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.