[OFFICIAL] Asus ZenBook UX31 User Thread UX31E

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello, Wanted to start a thread for zenbook users to share information and share tips.

I managed to grab a set at Sitex and was thinking of upgrading the SSD.

May I know what brand 128GB i5 SSD's you guys are using? Apparently ASUS swapped out some UX31 with the slower lower spec SANDISK 128GB from the ADATA/SANDFORCE 128GB. As a result, the Windows Experience Index for HDD read speeds drops significanty from 7.9 to 5.9.

UPDATE: Found it deep in the notebookreview forums. This thread had over a thousand posts :O

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/582672-asus-ux31-ultrabook-28.html#post8094637
vs
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/582672-asus-ux31-ultrabook-27.html#post8091160

Which hard drives are you guys using - the Sandisk u100 or the faster adata ones?

Let us know!

Last edited:

freddychin

Reaction score
Hello, Wanted to start a thread for zenbook users to share information and share tips.

I managed to grab a set at Sitex and was thinking of upgrading the SSD.

Any ideas?

Why did you not upgrade it when u are in Sitex ?

I am interested in notebook that is light and long bettery life so need not to bring charger along.

I like the UX31 outlook of it, very sleek but the size of the SSD and $cost$ turn me off.

May just settle for a ASUS "U" series instead.

regards

frozeout

Reaction score
So, hows the UX31 so far?
There are quite a lot of problems reported by other users; did you encounter any problems with the keyboard, trackpad, etc ...
Also, if you dont mind, can you post the trackpad driver and the bios it came in?
which version of UX31 did you get?

ahpipi

Reaction score
hi, also bought a ux31 i7 128gb at sitex yesterday

everthing is fine, just tat my asus live update is not workiing..
so I just uninstall this program.

i also adjust the wireless setting in the power4gear battery option to use max performance when on battery..

i also notice tat when plug in to charge and watchin some online video, it tends to get warm and you will heard fan starts to keep pumpin

other than that everything working ok.:D

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
So, hows the UX31 so far?
There are quite a lot of problems reported by other users; did you encounter any problems with the keyboard, trackpad, etc ...
Also, if you dont mind, can you post the trackpad driver and the bios it came in?
which version of UX31 did you get?
I really like the instant on feature on the zenbook, its faster than the MBA especially when you cofigure w7 to bypass the log in screen.

They say the ELAN branded touchpads are better than sensetronic.

May I know what brand 128GB i5 SSD's you guys are using? Apparently ASUS swapped out some UX31 with the slower lower spec SANDISK 128GB from the ADATA/SANDFORCE 128GB. As a result, the Windows Experience Index for HDD read speeds drops significanty from 7.9 to 5.9.

Anyone?

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
I think the ZenBook is like a MBA, which means you cannot upgrade the RAM and the SSD inside the laptop once you decided which model you want according to what I heard from my friends who enquire about the ZenBook from the ASUS staff there.

One of my friend want to buy the i7 version and ask got free upgrade of RAM and the ASUS promoter immediately says that it cannot be upgraded because the RAM and SSD compartments cannot be access to upgrade them.

Perhaps need ASUS to confirm this...

Last edited:

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
I think the ZenBook is like a MBA, which means you cannot upgrade the RAM and the SSD inside the laptop once you decided which model you want according to what I heard from my friends who enquire about the ZenBook from the ASUS staff there.

One of my friend want to buy the i7 version and ask got free upgrade of RAM and the ASUS promoter immediately says that it cannot be upgraded because the RAM and SSD compartments cannot be access to upgrade them.

Perhaps need ASUS to confirm this...

The RAM, like the MBA is soldered on to the motherboard.

What I am unhappy with Asus, is that they swapped the faster ADATA SANDFORCE 128GB SSD with the significantly slower and inferior SANDISK 128GB SSD. This makes buying the 'correct' UX31 a hit or miss, which is irritating for a discerning buyer.

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
The RAM, like the MBA is soldered on to the motherboard.

What I am unhappy with Asus, is that they swapped the faster ADATA SANDFORCE 128GB SSD with the significantly slower and inferior SANDISK 128GB SSD. This makes buying the 'correct' UX31 a hit or miss, which is irritating for a discerning buyer.

Yeah, just like the incident with DELL 2007FP monitors that time, lottery to see who can get an IPS panel or not :(

They will claim that it will still be faster than any non-SSD hard drives and performance wise will be "on par" with the others :) In my opinion of cause.

So if ASUS can swap the SSD, does that means the SSD can be change if we find a way to open it?

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just like the incident with DELL 2007FP monitors that time, lottery to see who can get an IPS panel or not :(

They will claim that it will still be faster than any non-SSD hard drives and performance wise will be "on par" with the others :) In my opinion of cause.

So if ASUS can swap the SSD, does that means the SSD can be change if we find a way to open it?
This really is a case of lottery!

The zenbook can be opened, just google zenbok teardown. The SSD can be swapped out but it's hard to find the SSD module as this isn't the 2.5' HDD but rather the ones you find in the MBA.

shadow_allan

Reaction score
I really like the instant on feature on the zenbook, its faster than the MBA especially when you cofigure w7 to bypass the log in screen.

They say the ELAN branded touchpads are better than sensetronic.

Anyone?

whoa thats very bad if true... can you post a link on where you got this? i didnt know the SSD alone can affect the performance index so much it must be a really crappy one

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
whoa thats very bad if true... can you post a link on where you got this? i didnt know the SSD alone can affect the performance index so much it must be a really crappy one

Found it deep in the notebookreview forums. This thread had over a thousand posts :O

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/582672-asus-ux31-ultrabook-28.html#post8094637
vs
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/582672-asus-ux31-ultrabook-27.html#post8091160

Which hard drives are you guys using - the Sandisk u100 or the faster adata ones?

Let us know!

frozeout

Reaction score
Ha, I have read every single page of that forum and I probably heard every single possible complaint there is about the ux31. basically when it comes to the ssd, as far as I know, the 128gb only comes in adata and the 256gb only comes in sandisk, this is because adata's 256gb ssd cant fit the physical configuration of the labtop. haven heard anyone suggesting that asus has refitted the ux31 with different configs.

anhyeuem

Reaction score
i got the UX i5 128GB version, having problem on the power adapter light. It always stay on orange even after 100% reach.

I notice if i turn the head, the light will turn green, but then it will stay there even when battery % drops. Guess mine is faulty. Happen to see on that notebook forum some are also having this issue, but only after updating the bios which i didn't.

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
Ha, I have read every single page of that forum and I probably heard every single possible complaint there is about the ux31. basically when it comes to the ssd, as far as I know, the 128gb only comes in adata and the 256gb only comes in sandisk, this is because adata's 256gb ssd cant fit the physical configuration of the labtop. haven heard anyone suggesting that asus has refitted the ux31 with different configs.

I don't know what you're trying to say when I just posted links to the forum thread that states how the UX31 128GB has two different SSD versions?

Basically the 256GB only comes in SanDisk because ADATA doesn't make 128GB, the two chips are the same size! It isnt because the 256GB can't fit the "physical configuration" lol.

Further, on that same thread I posted, people are receiving both ADATA and Sandisk u100 SSD's on different shipments.

This is frustrating because the performance for both drives, on the contrary, varies wildly like you see from the benchmarks.

frozeout

Reaction score
I stand partially corrected.

But, according to Anandtech:

"Like many OEMs, ASUS sources SSDs from two vendors for its Zenbook line: ADATA and SanDisk. Unlike Apple however, the division isn't random. ADATA supplies all 128GB drives while SanDisk handles the 256GB drives. The explanation is simple: ASUS needed a drive that could fit all of its NAND on a single side. SanDisk had a 256GB offering that met those needs; ADATA/SandForce did not."

So, probably they now also use Sandisk for some of the 128gb ssd, but they cant use Adata for the 256gb because of the physical configuration issue which I mentioned in my previous post, which Anandtech also highlighted.

Not too sure which post in your link you were referring to that said they had the Adata 256gb, because if you see the later posts, ppl are still saying there are no adata 256gb.

From what i gathered, the adata ssd appears to be faster (espec with 4k speed) than sandisk. But the question is, is that even noticeable in day-to-day usage?

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh I get what you mean, sorry about that.

So far, 256GB only in Sandisk. And 128GB comes in both Sandisk and ADATA.

I was referring to the 128GB one, which is the source of my frustration because the benchmarks are a lot lower.

It probably would have an impact when opening large files and programs??

lucifix

Master Member
Reaction score
i got the UX i5 128GB version, having problem on the power adapter light. It always stay on orange even after 100% reach.

I notice if i turn the head, the light will turn green, but then it will stay there even when battery % drops. Guess mine is faulty. Happen to see on that notebook forum some are also having this issue, but only after updating the bios which i didn't.
anhyeuem what SSD are you on, the sandisk or adata?

anhyeuem

Reaction score
anhyeuem what SSD are you on, the sandisk or adata?

i got the 128Gb Adata one. I got mine from Gain City.

Touch pad is the sen one, not the Elan type. Default driver seems pretty good, except don't know how to adjust the scrolling speed using 2 fingers multitouch.

rest so far are ok. Even wireless at balanced setting seems fine.

hj_dragon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow so nice a laptop didn't know have this issue.
Actually itend to save up to buy.
Ram and Graphics is important for nowadays.
Hopefully the newer model can upgrade SSD and ram.
Maybe have to look at other brand better than asus.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.