EDMW Knife Collectors

Lonerider

Reaction score
That's not quite true. I've had experience that swings both ways, depending on who's on duty. Sometimes they look at blade length, sometimes OAL. But by right it should be blade length, so at most go Cantonment collect I guess.

If you do a search you'll realise this 6in rule doesn't appear anywhere. Truth be told it's not a law but custom's own SOP. It's probably to "cover" themself as they'd rather the police decide.

slayergut

Reaction score
Hmmm thanks for the heads up, I guess tanto point coz I like the look I suppose.

What's OAL? Overall length? Whats the permitted Length?

Any recommended sites to buy online? Or should I stick to local stores? Price wise, will want to start low la, don't think my wife will take too kindly to another hobby.

I think my hissatsu 2 still available.it's a japanese tanto design instead of american tanto.. f

Malakite

Reaction score
Interesting, so when you guys buy online, how often do you end up having to go customs or whereever to collect?

I saw a coupla knives online that looked quite nice, and cheap too, thinking I'll start there.

I suppose buying an axe would be out of the question right?

slayergut

Reaction score
Interesting, so when you guys buy online, how often do you end up having to go customs or whereever to collect?

I saw a coupla knives online that looked quite nice, and cheap too, thinking I'll start there.

I suppose buying an axe would be out of the question right?

Which axe you looking at ;)

Vanya Navi

Reaction score
With Christmas coming up in a few days I figured it'd be nice if we have a giveaway just like on the other forums... I don't celebrate but I thought it'd be a nice idea to start one.

Only rules are...

You must be 18 years old and above and you must have at least 3 posts in this thread.

How to win? Simple... Guess how old my cat is in months.

Quote this post and tell me the answer.

Up for grabs...

No box will be provided as I would really like to see this end up as a user. Winner will have to collect it from me directly and I reserve the right to check your age.

Start guessing and remember... only one guess is allowed and you are not allowed to edit your post, so you should make it count. Closest answer gets the knife and if there is a tie the earlier poster wins it.

ETA - This knife has been discontinued for a while and has a book value of $130 based on it's MSRP.

I'd say the kitten looks like its 5 months!

Malakite

Reaction score
Hmm tried google but no joy, anyone here knows where I can get Gerber Multitools in singapore?

I tried Sheares website, but having issues, where are they located now? I think I'll pop by later today to check em out, I also recall a shop/store in Chinatown that has like older stuff right? Any Idea where it is, address wise or Shop name?

The multitool coz I JUST remember that I forgot to buy my father in-law his Xmas prezzy.... Crap right?

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
Sheares is at Selegie road now. Pretty near sim lim. From my experience, if you go there see see only, they will probably bo chap attitude.

Lonerider

Reaction score
Sheares is at Selegie road now. Pretty near sim lim. From my experience, if you go there see see only, they will probably bo chap attitude.

Not all the staff are bad... some are pretty OK guys.
The way I see it is some of them have this mentality that if you go in wearing bermudas and flip-flops you're just browsing and probably aren't willing to spend at the prices they are selling. That and I've seen one staff in particular (a few years back) with a "couch commando" attitude. You know the type; wears BDU pants, drop-leg pouch with his iPhone in it and feels the need to tell everyone he meets that he has been there and done that.

Let's face it, almost every adult male in Singapore have handled a weapon during their NS. I go into a shop to shop, not to prove my manhood to anyone.

Above all else there are a few other reasons I do not shop there much. From a knife collectors perspective... most of the staff do not know much about knives. The selection of knives they stock are mediocre at best but that's probably due to the small knife buying market in Singapore. And because they claim they are "the only company authorised to import knives into Singapore" they feel their prices are justified. Let's face it, with the economic outlook we are all price sensitive but there's a fine line between covering overheads and gouging a customer.

My advice is simple... buy from them if there are no other options or if you need an item urgently. With the good SGD-USD rate right now it makes more sense to buy online. The custom issues isn't as bad as most new collectors think. Out of ten knives I probably get called down for collection maybe once. Those are pretty good odds I think; better than wagering your money on horses.

Aside from knives, they are the only authorised distributor for SI Oakleys and their prices are really good so I have bought from them but no, not knives. Maybe someone else have had a more positive experience with them but I have not.

Do share if you have had a good experience at Sheares recently. I sometimes wonder if I should drop by for a vist just to see if the service and range have improved.

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
Difference between a good knife and a cheaper knife...

This is for a new knife collectors and users...

I read an article a few years back on knife buying tips so I'll paraphrase a bit from that article.

What's the difference between a $20 knife and a sub-$100 knife? They both cut obviously so why should you cough up the extra $20 more for something that basically functions the same? When you spend a bit more what you get is likely to be better quality.

At say $50, you know what steel is being used for the blade. The term "surgical steel" or "400 series" means nothing. Surgical blades aren't built for repeated use and 400 series may mean 420J which is the same stuff used to make forks and spoons or 440C which is a good knife making steel. Both of them will cut but the 440C is superior. It stays sharp longer, it will be easier to sharpen and you can get a finer edge on it. There have even been knives made from "pot metal"; literally the stuff they use for making pots and pans. If you don't know what it's made off my usual advice is don't buy it. The only "mystery steel" I actually like is from Victorinox.

At $50 you are also likely to have a stronger locking mechanism and will likely have very little play when it locks up. Trust me, if you carry, play with and use knives long enough you will have a lock fail on you. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. That's why New Graham ship their knives out with band-aids.

At $50 you also get warranty... I've had CRKTs, Benchmades, Spydercos and Kershaws. Every single one of these companies will honour their warranty. Most will provide a lifetime warranty service and will refurbish or even replace your knife for a new one if it fails. Benchmade warranties are tricky though so buyers beware.

When you go up higher in the price ladder... say $100, you get even better quality steel but not much else. At around $200 you have a chance of buying something with good resale value and might make a good investment. Yes, knives can make good investments if you buy smart. Overall most of my collection have gained around 20-40% in worth despite the weak USD. Try getting that from a fix-deposit account. Be mindful though, buying for investment will suck the joy out of collecting.

To conclude, any hobby should be just that; a hobby. Don't let it take over your life. A Buddhist monk once told me not to let material possessions own me. I'm not a Buddhist but I know a good advice when I hear one.

Last edited:

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Not all the staff are bad... some are pretty OK guys.
The way I see it is some of them have this mentality that if you go in wearing bermudas and flip-flops you're just browsing and probably aren't willing to spend at the prices they are selling. That and I've seen one staff in particular (a few years back) with a "couch commando" attitude. You know the type; wears BDU pants, drop-leg pouch with his iPhone in it and feels the need to tell everyone he meets that he has been there and done that.

Let's face it, almost every adult male in Singapore have handled a weapon during their NS. I go into a shop to shop, not to prove my manhood to anyone.

Above all else there are a few other reasons I do not shop there much. From a knife collectors perspective... most of the staff do not know much about knives. The selection of knives they stock are mediocre at best but that's probably due to the small knife buying market in Singapore. And because they claim they are "the only company authorised to import knives into Singapore" they feel their prices are justified. Let's face it, with the economic outlook we are all price sensitive but there's a fine line between covering overheads and gouging a customer.

My advice is simple... buy from them if there are no other options or if you need an item urgently. With the good SGD-USD rate right now it makes more sense to buy online. The custom issues isn't as bad as most new collectors think. Out of ten knives I probably get called down for collection maybe once. Those are pretty good odds I think; better than wagering your money on horses.

Aside from knives, they are the only authorised distributor for SI Oakleys and their prices are really good so I have bought from them but no, not knives. Maybe someone else have had a more positive experience with them but I have not.

Do share if you have had a good experience at Sheares recently. I sometimes wonder if I should drop by for a vist just to see if the service and range have improved.

nicely said XD

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.