For those who love to travel alone

xwei_00

Reaction score
anyone into traveling alone? Last year I decided that I was sick of waiting for friends confirmation and schedule (in the end, the travel plans are always cancelled) so I decided to go Tokyo alone for a week in Oct 2011. Addictive to travel alone! So once I came back I planned my next trip. Will be going Hokkaido in Feb 2012. Travel alone can go anywhere I like and wake up what time I want :D

I am a female and I don't understand why everytime someone find out I am female+traveling alone+ F&E, their jaws drop :yawn:

Planning to do solo this year: Bangkok, Korea, Hongkong and Taiwan before I venture out alone to western countries :)

Anyone else loves to travel alone?

Last edited:

iminalost

Reaction score
wow nice! actually,i was about to travel alone in feb nt because i intend to but because of some mistakes i made during booking. but now not already. would really love to try it 1 day! how old were u when u went on ur 1st trip alone?:D

weechiong

Reaction score
I've been travelling alone recently as well. As I get older, it's getting harder to get friends to travel together due to schedules clashing. Guess it's much easier to travel alone since you can fly as and when you like it.

I've been alone to Japan twice and Egypt once. Planning to venture to the western countries, but kind of a laze to plan the travel though. :)

xwei_00

Reaction score
wow nice! actually,i was about to travel alone in feb nt because i intend to but because of some mistakes i made during booking. but now not already. would really love to try it 1 day! how old were u when u went on ur 1st trip alone?:D

I only started recently, last year :) The Tokyo trip was my 1st, and the Hokkaido trip next month is the 2nd....

xwei_00

Reaction score
I've been travelling alone recently as well. As I get older, it's getting harder to get friends to travel together due to schedules clashing. Guess it's much easier to travel alone since you can fly as and when you like it.

I've been alone to Japan twice and Egypt once. Planning to venture to the western countries, but kind of a laze to plan the travel though. :)

If have to wait for friends then that will be alot of places not able to go... Usually I just random select a date and book on impulse. I went for the Tokyo trip with no itinerary haha

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If have to wait for friends then that will be alot of places not able to go... Usually I just random select a date and book on impulse. I went for the Tokyo trip with no itinerary haha

so after Feb to sapporo
what's next for u. hahaha
ya single as guy is most easily
FOR gals depend where u go
just dobt go those dark area usually safe or small alley

enjoy you trip u all .

I M also flying to sapporo & Tokyo alone this Feb
more foe the winter escape from hot humid sg

haha

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya I also want go with friends too but like u all say hard to meet kakis schedule too
due to work n holiday preferabce
like I love go cold winter season only

xwei_00

Reaction score
so after Feb to sapporo
what's next for u. hahaha
ya single as guy is most easily
FOR gals depend where u go
just dobt go those dark area usually safe or small alley

enjoy you trip u all .

I M also flying to sapporo & Tokyo alone this Feb
more foe the winter escape from hot humid sg

haha

Hi! Looking at Hongkong or Bangkok in Apr or May :) I felt very safe in Tokyo even though I stayed in Ikebukuro which was dead quiet at night

butterbarter

Reaction score
Hi! Looking at Hongkong or Bangkok in Apr or May :) I felt very safe in Tokyo even though I stayed in Ikebukuro which was dead quiet at night

Good for you. I travel alone frequently, and have been doing so for more than 10 years. Occasionally, I travel with friends but it is very hard to get people to put aside 2 weeks away from work and family, so I prefer to just go on my own. I'm a guy, but I increasingly meet females traveling on their own too. Females just have to be abit more careful.

I have freedom to sleep late if I feel like it, and can change plans at a whim. Since I am Singaporean, I can travel visa-free to many countries which makes impromptu decisions much easier since I don't have to apply for visa in advance.

I've been to more than 30 countries (of course including HK and BKK) and have accumulated alot of experience on travel and would not mind sharing them. Let me know if you think you need some advice on any aspect of travel. I'm happy to share my knowledge. Some of my trips are multi-city multi-country which requires more planning and info, but I still manage it free-and-easy. In fact, I just returned a few days ago from a 3-country trip.

The best general advice I can give are:
1. travel light (just 1 light bag)
2. buy travel insurance
3. Keep your passport, sparecash and a spare credit/ATM card in a money belt under your clothes. If your bag or wallet gets stolen, you'll still be able to buy replacements and continue your journey. Claim travel insurance when you get back.
4. Get a smartphone ( I use android, but iPhone would work too). Keep your destination guide, itinerary, airline e-ticket and hotel confirmations in your smartphone. Use it to look up latest destination info and weather, and book hotels online.
5. Download maps onto your smartphone, and mark the locations where your hotel is (googlemaps can give you the coordinates, or if you are IT savvy, you can download the locations directly from google maps as a KML file). This makes it easy for you to guide the taxi driver in big 3rd world cities where the streets are so confusing that even the taxi drivers can't find the hotel, esp the smaller hotels in small sidestreets. Use the GPS function on your phones to do this. Also mark the places of interest in the map for the same reason.

Last edited:

iminalost

Reaction score
true true. sometimes friends say want go, but the trip never happens because of back outs when going to book.

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

wow I though ikebukuo is more alive
I stay in ueno usually as I like the direct keisei skyliner to narita is
ueno is still OK due to amekoyo
as I. can walk from ueno to aki too
and ginza metro can go shibuya easy hahaha

booked my jp trip
flying off in mid Feb haahaa
sapporo and tokyo
for shop for my wares
bags
watch
cloths
and foodstuffs

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I travel alone mostly as well. Another stickler for me is guided tours. I avoid these.

xwei_00

Reaction score
wow I though ikebukuo is more alive
I stay in ueno usually as I like the direct keisei skyliner to narita is
ueno is still OK due to amekoyo
as I. can walk from ueno to aki too
and ginza metro can go shibuya easy hahaha

booked my jp trip
flying off in mid Feb haahaa
sapporo and tokyo
for shop for my wares
bags
watch
cloths
and foodstuffs

I stayed at Flexstay Ikebukuro. Very cosy simple hotel with everything u need in the room. Cheap, only $600 for 6 nites. In the area got Lawson, Family Mart and 7-11 hahahah. Next to hotel have a 24hr home style eatery and a few noodle shops opposite, very nice.
Which hotel you staying in Ueno and Sapporo?

xwei_00

Reaction score
Good for you. I travel alone frequently, and have been doing so for more than 10 years. Occasionally, I travel with friends but it is very hard to get people to put aside 2 weeks away from work and family, so I prefer to just go on my own. I'm a guy, but I increasingly meet females traveling on their own too. Females just have to be abit more careful.

I have freedom to sleep late if I feel like it, and can change plans at a whim. Since I am Singaporean, I can travel visa-free to many countries which makes impromptu decisions much easier since I don't have to apply for visa in advance.

I've been to more than 30 countries (of course including HK and BKK) and have accumulated alot of experience on travel and would not mind sharing them. Let me know if you think you need some advice on any aspect of travel. I'm happy to share my knowledge. Some of my trips are multi-city multi-country which requires more planning and info, but I still manage it free-and-easy. In fact, I just returned a few days ago from a 3-country trip.

The best general advice I can give are:
1. travel light (just 1 light bag)
2. buy travel insurance
3. Keep your passport, sparecash and a spare credit/ATM card in a money belt under your clothes. If your bag or wallet gets stolen, you'll still be able to buy replacements and continue your journey. Claim travel insurance when you get back.
4. Get a smartphone ( I use android, but iPhone would work too). Keep your destination guide, itinerary, airline e-ticket and hotel confirmations in your smartphone. Use it to look up latest destination info and weather, and book hotels online.
5. Download maps onto your smartphone, and mark the locations where your hotel is (googlemaps can give you the coordinates, or if you are IT savvy, you can download the locations directly from google maps as a KML file). This makes it easy for you to guide the taxi driver in big 3rd world cities where the streets are so confusing that even the taxi drivers can't find the hotel, esp the smaller hotels in small sidestreets. Use the GPS function on your phones to do this. Also mark the places of interest in the map for the same reason.

I got lost several times in Tokyo but at least nobody will grumble and nag lolz.
Ya I think I should start getting travel insurance.. Have fear of losing my passport though

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hate to travel in a large group because hard to make everyone happy. End up paying so much for a trip just to accommodate others. Nowadays, I either travel alone or limit the traveling group to no more than 3.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.