Being unpaid when you work for tutoring agencies etc.

flea_pepper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As above.
I'm just bringing up this topic as I feel some of our fellow brothers & sisters may have suffered such problems whereby they do tutoring jobs (no contracts) & were unpaid.

If you're unsure what to do for such cases, get the details of the company, people you spoke to, phone numbers etc. and jot it down.

And if you don't know who to turn to, for such cases, you can either refer to CASE or the Small Claims Tribunal as they're the RIGHT PEOPLE that will help settle for you although you need to be patient. :)

Read up on the links given.

And do remember, always have a BLACK & WHITE for any agreement you make.
I hope this thread does help in some way.

NOTE: I'm not being biased against tutoring agencies. This can also apply to others as well like when agreements between 2 parties (against a company) aren't met. etc.

Link to CASE: http://www.case.org.sg/

Link to Small Claims Tribunal: http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx & http://www.wwlegal.com/FAQ-id_cat-9.html < FAQ

Link to a story whereby someone went through Small Claims Tribunal to settle problem:
http://forum.omy.sg/showthread.php?t=2120

Any comments or questions, just reply here so we can share with others.;)

calvano

Reaction score
hi, just to share, i've been a private tutor for some time, and only once have i encountered a non-paying customer. usually SG ppl esp when it comes to education are quite ok. i've only encountered one almost-non-paying client parent but somehow i managed to cajole her to do the right thing.

its very nice in theory to ask for black and white, but its also not so straight forward. if parent rly want to play with you, he or she simply can sign a joke signature eg mickey mouse or wadeva joke name. and then if you say not happy without contract they may get offended, since you're implying they may not pay, can't afford etc etc.

in the end its still a lot about trust.

butterflychic

Reaction score
I used to give tuition after my Alevels. The tuition agency collected the first mth salary from the parent and did not pay me the 50% which I was entitled.

jon_lwl

Reaction score
I used to give tuition after my Alevels. The tuition agency collected the first mth salary from the parent and did not pay me the 50% which I was entitled.

Did you sign an agreement with the agency? If not, any emails or SMS conversation which shows an agreement of the agency engaging your service at a given price? If not, go look for the person in charge and have a good talk with him/her in regards to your salary, hopefully they will give in and pay you (It takes up some time on your side to follow up with them regularly).

hi, just to share, i've been a private tutor for some time, and only once have i encountered a non-paying customer. usually SG ppl esp when it comes to education are quite ok. i've only encountered one almost-non-paying client parent but somehow i managed to cajole her to do the right thing.

its very nice in theory to ask for black and white, but its also not so straight forward. if parent rly want to play with you, he or she simply can sign a joke signature eg mickey mouse or wadeva joke name. and then if you say not happy without contract they may get offended, since you're implying they may not pay, can't afford etc etc.

in the end its still a lot about trust.

There is a few ways to counter if the clients/parents find it offensive though to sign a black & white, just explain to them that is just for my Tax reporting and administration purposes.

I think every day people are suffering the same fate and doesn't matter which industries they're in :(

teddymouse

Reaction score
omg...really???cn u pm me which tuition agency??
i'm v scared..gt 2 jobs from tuition agency..i scared i oso lidat, dun gt paid=((
but lucky one i found myself, the parent quite nice and she paid me on time, no agreements signed or wad..but everything went smoothly

alfretztay

Reaction score

The industry practice is that the tuition agency collects 50% of the first mth fee from the parent; and the tutor would then collect the balance from the latter. You should check and confirm with both the agency and parent before approaching the proper institution(s) for assistance. Good luck! Btw, I have yet to encounter any problem wrt the collection of my fee.

diatomics

Master Member
Reaction score
i got a parent who doesn't want to pay me. I have to keep going her house every other day and keep calling her until she eventually paid up. Usually the issue lies with the parents not paying on time.

jwfanclub

Reaction score
quick question: what do you think of submitting copies of academic certificates to tuition agencies? any qualms about this practice?

flea_pepper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quick question: what do you think of submitting copies of academic certificates to tuition agencies? any qualms about this practice?

well, i think they want to see if you're genuinely qualified to teach.
perhaps, they want to ensure that the "customer" or student, is taught properly.
but there's no harm to ask tuition agencies that request for it :)

MrGachaMan

Reaction score
M i qualified to be a tutor?

Hi all,
i thinking becoming a part time tutor to earn some extra income but my 'O' lvl is not good . D7- Eng , B3- Chinese , C6-Combine Science , C6-POA ,C5-E Math. Currently i pursuing my diploma in a local Poly. Thinking of teaching lower primary subjects like Chinese lanaguage , Math or even Science . Do i qualify to be a tutor?? Pls give mi some advise. Thank:D

Last edited:

AlisonTuition

Reaction score
Blacklist posting corner

Hi All,

Now, alisontuition.com provides you a blacklist posting corner for tutors to share experiences and substantiate with evidence to make sure the perpetrators do not get away scot-free with non-payment of tuition fees or other deplorable acts.

Register/Log in as a member and access the Blacklist pages.

As above.
I'm just bringing up this topic as I feel some of our fellow brothers & sisters may have suffered such problems whereby they do tutoring jobs (no contracts) & were unpaid.

If you're unsure what to do for such cases, get the details of the company, people you spoke to, phone numbers etc. and jot it down.

And if you don't know who to turn to, for such cases, you can either refer to CASE or the Small Claims Tribunal as they're the RIGHT PEOPLE that will help settle for you although you need to be patient. :)

Read up on the links given.

And do remember, always have a BLACK & WHITE for any agreement you make.
I hope this thread does help in some way.

NOTE: I'm not being biased against tutoring agencies. This can also apply to others as well like when agreements between 2 parties (against a company) aren't met. etc.

Link to CASE: http://www.case.org.sg/

Link to Small Claims Tribunal: http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx & http://www.wwlegal.com/FAQ-id_cat-9.html < FAQ

Link to a story whereby someone went through Small Claims Tribunal to settle problem:
http://forum.omy.sg/showthread.php?t=2120

Any comments or questions, just reply here so we can share with others.;)

Last edited:

broken-solace

Reaction score
Hi all, I am not currently paid for my tuition assignment. tuition agency called TUITION CLUB. this agency here had delayed payment to me for more than 2 weeks. the tuition agency works this way: parent pays the fund to tuitionclub -> tutionclub pays me. However, the reason for delay is not due to parents that did not want to pay. It is due to the person who collect funds keep delaying on collecting the parent's money. How inefficient and unproductive. And they conveniently push the blame to the parent saying that its the parent who delays.

Can CASE/tribunal court help me? i read the checklist thing on tribunal courts and the amount is less than $200 so they won't be able to accept my claim?

wasabay

Reaction score
I need help

Hi guys.

I've encountered this similar situation. I received a tuition assignment last October regarding a P5 boy from a Filipino family(They're foreigners). I've been to 3 lessons so far. When I tried to arrange for the 4th lesson, there was no news from the family nor the agency. I tried ways to contact both the parent and the agency, even the boy himself. It seems like the parent decides to "forget" who I was and decide to ignore all my messages. Any way to get the parent to pay up for the 3 lessons at least? Can I bring this case to the small claims tribunals? Thanks

nosypoker

Reaction score
I wonder how tuition agency works. From what I know they'll ask the parents to transfer 50% to them then pay the other 50% to the tutor. WHat if the parents dont pay? Maybe come up with some crap excuse like the tutor not up to it. Is it ll suck thumb? Wont they lugi?

ausheysmosheys

Reaction score
Most of the times, the problem lies with the parents. I'm not having the bad experience of getting my tuition fees a month late. I'm supposed to collect it tomorrow, but the lady has not answered any of my calls or SMS' for the last 2 days. Why engage a tutor if you can't afford to pay?

0401897D

Reaction score
Just to have my share experience, mom didnt pay for 1 mth plus after last day of lesson.

they come from well to do family however family problem (i.e. divorce).

working in matrimonial cases before, i noe judges will "delegate" the sum of money for the child expenses.

sum owe is $180 for 4 lessons.

the funny thing is, only after repeatedly smsing the mom (1 mth plus), she did eventually said her ex-husband havent paid her for the fees yet. wateva truth it is..cmmon lah its only 180 wat...its not tat u are not rich...wtfs rite..

Reaction score
Just to have my share experience, mom didnt pay for 1 mth plus after last day of lesson.

they come from well to do family however family problem (i.e. divorce).

working in matrimonial cases before, i noe judges will "delegate" the sum of money for the child expenses.

sum owe is $180 for 4 lessons.

the funny thing is, only after repeatedly smsing the mom (1 mth plus), she did eventually said her ex-husband havent paid her for the fees yet. wateva truth it is..cmmon lah its only 180 wat...its not tat u are not rich...wtfs rite..

So did they pay you in the end?

ahnyaahnya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some parents are one-kind.
There was this mother who said that her son (Sec 5) was very "particular" abt teachers/ tutors, and so could we just try out for one lesson first. I told her to pay for one lesson and she said ok. When she dropped off her son here, I asked her whether she had left the $ with him, she said yah.
At end of lesson, son said his mum had not given him the $, but had said to pay at subsequent lesson (if any, obviously !!). The boy then left to take the bus home.
I rang the mum to check and she made some excuse that she had hurried here and didn't have time to get the $ (but helloo, she had indicated in the affirmative when asked abt the money!!)
In the next 24 hrs she sms & rang me abt a dozen times..apparently her son had told her he was "looking forward" to my lessons.
I decided not to tutor her son!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.