Do cables make a difference? Discuss.

bobozhang137

Reaction score
Lets start a healthy discussion. Who here have used aftermarket cables and found them to be sonically better. Please don't tell me "My friend said this that this that.."

i only want personal experiences.

For myself, i own the Silver Dragon and the TWCU. My iem is the SM3v2.

I found the SD to have a slightly brighter signature, better speed, slightly better detail due to the speed.

The TWCU actually sounded better with the SM3v2. It improves the mids and the lows, better music texture. Not so analytical.

Then again its my perception.

So guys share your experiences and discuss.

iRbaboon

Master Member
Reaction score
This is all I'm going to say, fwiw;

The scientific evidence points to cables not making an audible difference in sound. Double blind tests results have shown that telling different cables apart is difficult or even impossible. But even if you can't tell the difference between two cables in a double blind test, how often will you find yourself in such situations?

I have not tried aftermarket cables. LOL.

zhuang_zijian

Reaction score
I hv not heard any copper cables but Jaben silver cable increased the presence of highs and the soundstage in se535. Cannot hear the diff made by the silver cable with ie8 except maybe a bit more clarity.

mattering

Reaction score
I have tried after market cables with my TF10. I have only used the stock cables and Null Audio Lune V2 cables. I have found significant changes in the sound quality. The mids were more prominent with the Lune V2 and the bass was a bit stronger. That's all i remember about it cause I sent my TF10 for reshelling 4 weeks ago and so, kind of forgotten how it sounds like =X.

SpOrTsTeR79

Master Member
Reaction score
I may not b able to tell which is the twag or silver dragon cable in a blind test, but by doing so, I find myself to leaning towards the silver dragon cable each time.

And my ie8 sounds more wider w the lune mkii cable than stock cable.

Therefore, yes I believe cables affects the sound signature, not sure about giving the cables burn in time.

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but I've learnt in school that cable's with a certain wiring material used affects the Q factor. If there's too much/little of it. Noise will occur. Also the longer the wire is the higher the resistance.

How I think it would affect the sound? I don't think it will, at least not to the extent of hearing on a whole new level.

bobozhang137

Reaction score
I won't say whole new level.

Who here agrees cables are like sugar and spice. It just adds that little bit of detail here and there. Different people different tastes.

lawry83

Reaction score
the only reason when i changed my tf10 (before i sent for shelving) was for the ergonomics. i did not hear any difference upgrading from the tf10 stock to the westone cable.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It does though, after using westone ES2 to JH Audio and now ALO OCC 22awg, there's quite a bit difference between the later and first two.

alamakazam_

Banned
Reaction score
if one encounter a bad cable, that person will appreciate good cable...

but generally, good cables are very decent in performance, elite cables are just slightly better in performance, so the elite cables are for elite.... just like BMW for peasants , Aston Martin for Elites

bobozhang137

Reaction score
eh irbaboon. link to the source leh.

i'm buying a twag next month. i'll pk the TWAG and the TWCU. LOL

superjelly4311

Master Member
Reaction score
For me my personal experience is that I went on to try these silver cables from Jaben for the IE8 , and compared to Stock IE8 cables.
I would say that the bass is tighter and there was more details , but the vocals became too bright for my ears.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.