For those who love to travel alone

cloud_valentine89

Reaction score
Actually I met a lot females who travel alone. In fact, most of them are females. Guys usually travel in a pair. So you are not the odd one out.

I would say its really different travelling alone. If you are lucky, u will just meet some random people from other countries and continue the day trip with you. If you are damn sui, it will be like raining and you basically cant do anything and talk to anybody. Anyway, it is awesome to travel alone, dun worry!

flagship

Reaction score
i like to travel with a big group of frz, this will teach me how to give and take, more acccomodate to others..:s13:;)

Stretches

Reaction score
haha I hate those tours where 'have to meet at hotel lobby at 7am'
For my Tokyo trip, I once woke at 12pm :D

Yeah. I agreed. Woke up at 8pm once when I was at Australia, as I didn't slept the whole night and after when I check-in.

wanrensg

Reaction score
The most important thing that traveling alone or in a group is that you must enjoy yourself. No rushing. Take your time and relax and enjoy

butterbarter

Reaction score
When it's raining, you can still do alot ! Slightly more inconvenient, but you can still do sightseeing. I always bring a lightweight aluminium umbrella, which works great in light rain.

Once, when I was in Taipei ( Dan Shui ), it was raining very very heavily. I just did what the Taiwanese do : buy a poncho from a convenience store and walked out into the rain. My shoes got wet but but my body was relatively dry, and I didn't have to waste 2 hours waiting under a shelter. After the rain stopped, I just removed my socks, put my shoes back on, and continued my sight-seeing. What you can do is completely up to you. You can hide from the rain, or you can treat the rain as just part and parcel of the trip.

If you are damn sui, it will be like raining and you basically cant do anything and talk to anybody. Anyway, it is awesome to travel alone, dun worry!

butterbarter

Reaction score
Always buy travel insurance. The $50 you spend gives you peace of mind against flight delays, missed flights, lost luggage, stolen bags, medical emergencies, accidents, etc. The $50 is a small price to pay to ensure your $1000 trip is not wasted or spoiled. If you travel more than 4 times a year, consider buying annual travel insurance.

As for your passport, the general practice is :
1. Photocopy or take a photo of your passport details page. This will be useful for the embassy if you lose your passport. Keep the copy in a safe place separate from your passport.
2. Put your passport in the hotel safe if they have one. Otherwise, protect it in a plastic bag and keep it in a money belt. A money belt, which is a small, flat pouch worn under your clothes, pretty much guarantees that you will never lose your passport unless you lose your pants while sightseeing, which is quite impossible.

If you are not in a hurry and not feeling tired, getting lost is actually quite fun. You get to walk around many places that the average tourist will probably never see. One of my most memorable times was when I got lost in the small alleys of Venice. I had successfully navigated the small alleys the previous day, so I thought I could find my way out this time, but nooooo... I spent an extra hour or so wondering around and seeing how the locals spend their time before stumbling on the right street. Quite a nice way to spend an hour. Nowadays, with GPS and maps on phones, getting lost will be a thing of the past.

I got lost several times in Tokyo but at least nobody will grumble and nag lolz.
Ya I think I should start getting travel insurance.. Have fear of losing my passport though

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Always buy travel insurance. The $50 you spend gives you peace of mind against flight delays, missed flights, lost luggage, stolen bags, medical emergencies, accidents, etc. The $50 is a small price to pay to ensure your $1000 trip is not wasted or spoiled. If you travel more than 4 times a year, consider buying annual travel insurance.

1. Photocopy or take a photo of your passport details page. This will be useful for the embassy if you lose your passport. Keep the copy in a safe place separate from your passport.
2. Put your passport in the hotel safe if they have one. Otherwise, protect it in a plastic bag and keep it in a money belt. A money belt, which is a small, flat pouch worn under your clothes, pretty much guarantees that you will never lose your passport unless you lose your pants while sightseeing, which is quite impossible.

If you are not in a hurry and not feeling tired, getting lost is actually quite fun. You get to walk around many places that the average tourist will probably never see. One of my most memorable times was when I got lost in the small alleys of Venice. I had successfully navigated the small alleys the previous day, so I thought I could find my way out this time, but nooooo... I spent an extra hour or so wondering around and seeing how the locals spend their time before stumbling on the right street. Quite a nice way to spend an hour. Nowadays, with GPS and maps on phones, getting lost will be a thing of the past.

totally agree on these. getting lost is part of the fun and adventure! there are interesting places, shops, eatery etc just around the corner, away from the main tourist areas... places u will never discovery unless u got lost and ventured out of the beaten path ;)

and yah, do get travel insurance... missed connections and delayed luggages are very common, especially when transiting

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How guys get your handphone and gps charged on the go? say you decided to stay in a very run down hostel which does not provide any electrical socket and battery is running too low for next day's trip?

xwei_00

Reaction score

haha I took a longggg time to get to Hakone due to getting lost... By the time I reached the sky was getting dark and I did not know what time the last bus was so I quickly took a few pics and made my way down. It was so deserted and not a single pax at the bus stop. Can't imagine missing the last bus and having to stay at one of the costly hotels at Hakone :s22:

mngedo

Reaction score
Travelling alone can be addictive!

I started 2 years ago and have been travelling alone every once in a while. I feel that each time just gets better. 1 con of travelling alone is that there are no one to take photos for you and i don't really like to ask a passerby to do it as it's quite Awkward ~ :p

bkmailsg

Reaction score
I did that when I was touring Central England...but hate it when I need to bother people to help me with photo, most of the time those shots taken are far from my expectation. Maybe should invest in a tripod of so...

wuso

Reaction score
haha I took a longggg time to get to Hakone due to getting lost... By the time I reached the sky was getting dark and I did not know what time the last bus was so I quickly took a few pics and made my way down. It was so deserted and not a single pax at the bus stop. Can't imagine missing the last bus and having to stay at one of the costly hotels at Hakone :s22:
Well, there are not-so-costly hotels too u know... ;)

Travelling solo certainly has its fun and challenges. But so does travelling in a small group. Sometimes good to do both! :)

mngedo said:
I started 2 years ago and have been travelling alone every once in a while. I feel that each time just gets better. 1 con of travelling alone is that there are no one to take photos for you and i don't really like to ask a passerby to do it as it's quite Awkward ~ :p
bkmailsg said:
I did that when I was touring Central England...but hate it when I need to bother people to help me with photo, most of the time those shots taken are far from my expectation. Maybe should invest in a tripod of so...
Yup, there are pretty light tripods around, and better still, get one of those gorillapod or ultrapod - very useful!!

beanstalk6

Reaction score
The one time that I realised I may have pushed my luck too far is my trip to Morocco. Poland is a close second. In both cases the "lost" feeling struck. Hahahaha...

apengrg

Reaction score
I hate to travel in a large group because hard to make everyone happy. End up paying so much for a trip just to accommodate others. Nowadays, I either travel alone or limit the traveling group to no more than 3.

no problem. can always split into small grps of 2 or 3 mah.

footse

Reaction score
Solo packer here as well. Headed to Brazil this june. Don't think I can ever survive travelling with a partner now. Love the freedom(and the lack of people grumbling at me for being me).

Take these 3 things, 1 bag, travel insurance and an EVIL camera(imho).

On a side note long zhong gong hei!

Taengoo

Master Member
Reaction score
since there are so many lone travellers, why not any of the female here organise a trip out of singapore togeher with me?
im dying to to explore places out of singapore.

if i myself decides to travel alone, only dare to try asia/australia for now.

butterbarter

Reaction score
If they do, then they will no longer be lone travellers anymore, right ? Which defeats the entire purpose of this thread.

since there are so many lone travellers, why not any of the female here organise a trip out of singapore togeher with me?

skaade

Master Member
Reaction score
recently discovered the joy of travelling alone. although there are times where i do wish i could share my joy or magnificent views with some people in my life, or just to chat with them.

i do like the freedom that i get when i travel alone: go anywhere, do whatever i want and all.

im still a little more guarded since i am a female and im perhaps still not that street savvy as others in countries less safe than singapore. trying to get my game face (i dont know where i am headed but i fake it till i make it!) on and see the world still. glad to see that there are others who likes to do the same.

just wondering how do u guys cope in a country where their main language is not english and how do u get around/communicate?

weird

Master Member
Reaction score
recently discovered the joy of travelling alone. although there are times where i do wish i could share my joy or magnificent views with some people in my life, or just to chat with them.

i do like the freedom that i get when i travel alone: go anywhere, do whatever i want and all.

im still a little more guarded since i am a female and im perhaps still not that street savvy as others in countries less safe than singapore. trying to get my game face (i dont know where i am headed but i fake it till i make it!) on and see the world still. glad to see that there are others who likes to do the same.

just wondering how do u guys cope in a country where their main language is not english and how do u get around/communicate?

1. I learn a few phrases here and there b4 flying over. Usually I try to rem it in the plane. lolz.

2. Take pic of food/ loo etc in case is totally cant communicate

3. Download a English/ xxx translation app. Then i show it to the people

4. If you garang like me, i will try to learn a few words everyday and try to use it everyday till i rem. If dont know how to pronoun, ask a local over there to help you out. ie while waiting for train, "catch" a local to teach you.. haha

PS: I have STM, i will almost surely forget whatever i have learn when i'm back in SG

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.