For those who love to travel alone

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps. I am glad I am actually not alone. :p
I went Bangkok for a rock concert last year November. It was actually quite enjoyable because I do not need to wait for others or keep others waiting, I literally wake whatever time I want, stop where I feel like to, eat wherever I want. But i guess the biggest downside is that I don't get to eat a variety of food...

Anyway, I am planning a short 3days to Hanoi, then 3days to siem reap. Any recommendations for travel itinerary, advice what to watch out for, etc etc.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Notice how the natives approach you less when you are traveling with partners? I certainly devote more attention to native culture and people more when I travel by myself.

wuso

Reaction score
1. I learn a few phrases here and there b4 flying over. Usually I try to rem it in the plane. lolz.

2. Take pic of food/ loo etc in case is totally cant communicate

3. Download a English/ xxx translation app. Then i show it to the people

4. If you garang like me, i will try to learn a few words everyday and try to use it everyday till i rem. If dont know how to pronoun, ask a local over there to help you out. ie while waiting for train, "catch" a local to teach you.. haha

PS: I have STM, i will almost surely forget whatever i have learn when i'm back in SG
Same here.... v poor memory, so forget most stuff after a while!! :(

But good advice above, and to add to that, there's always body/sign language and mime, although do note that some countries may have different meanings for similar body/sign language!! :p

skaade

Master Member
Reaction score
I went Bangkok for a rock concert last year November. It was actually quite enjoyable because I do not need to wait for others or keep others waiting, I literally wake whatever time I want, stop where I feel like to, eat wherever I want. But i guess the biggest downside is that I don't get to eat a variety of food...

Anyway, I am planning a short 3days to Hanoi, then 3days to siem reap. Any recommendations for travel itinerary, advice what to watch out for, etc etc.

for siem reap, u must go to angkor wat. a 1 day pass should cover you just fine. I cant say much about the other places but given 3 days, if you spend a day at siem reap, u can check out pub street at night (this place is filled with foreigners at night so if u want local culture, u will have to go else where).

u can actually pick up a knock off lonely planet guide book on cambodia for USD$5 (cheapest price i found, you can try for $4 but if u are in tourist areas, get ready to bargain. usually walking away helps :p)

when visiting angkor wat, u should try to climb the sky temple. just gotta be really careful when you climb. make sure u are always hydrated, bring lots of water.

flanker27

Reaction score
Hi! Looking at Hongkong or Bangkok in Apr or May :) I felt very safe in Tokyo even though I stayed in Ikebukuro which was dead quiet at night

hmm, hk in may i may be interested. we can travel together to get better rates? though i can recommend you cheap places to stay, that is safe and clean.

excalibur324

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

from hanoi u can hit sapa, halong bay and tam coc.. spend more time there.. 3 days is not enough

babyrobo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
traveled alone a couple of times quite a good experience.. own time own target.. the only complaint is cant try much food alone :(

casche

Reaction score
anyone into traveling alone? Last year I decided that I was sick of waiting for friends confirmation and schedule (in the end, the travel plans are always cancelled) so I decided to go Tokyo alone for a week in Oct 2011. Addictive to travel alone! So once I came back I planned my next trip. Will be going Hokkaido in Feb 2012. Travel alone can go anywhere I like and wake up what time I want :D

I am a female and I don't understand why everytime someone find out I am female+traveling alone+ F&E, their jaws drop :yawn:

Planning to do solo this year: Bangkok, Korea, Hongkong and Taiwan before I venture out alone to western countries :)

Anyone else loves to travel alone?

Hi, you are not alone...I always travel alone...but so far only to Asia countries...I am planning to go Seoul either in mid Apr or so, but still thinking whether to go ahead or not cos worried abt the language barrier there...

Agree that some cons of travelling alone are that you can't try much food alone and also need to find passer-by to help take pictures....:s13:

XiaoZen

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, you are not alone...I always travel alone...but so far only to Asia countries...I am planning to go Seoul either in mid Apr or so, but still thinking whether to go ahead or not cos worried abt the language barrier there...

Agree that some cons of travelling alone are that you can't try much food alone and also need to find passer-by to help take pictures....:s13:
did not realise that's so many ppl into travelling alone as well.. but hey, i planning a trip as below..

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/bkk-korat-kk-udon-bkk-3592924.html

let me know if u anyone want to hop in.. F&E...

starsandstripes

Reaction score
Hey, do you guys buy return ticket when backpacking? Are there any flexible return tickets where your return date can be chosen within a specific time limit or a regional ticket where you can fly to neighboring countries?

If i want to backpack in taiwan and fly to hk and then finally returning back to Singapore, whats the best method of purchasing air tickets if i have no set departure and arrival dates?

Last edited:

flanker27

Reaction score
Hey, do you guys buy return ticket when backpacking? Are there any flexible return tickets where your return date can be chosen within a specific time limit or a regional ticket where you can fly to neighboring countries?

If i want to backpack in taiwan and fly to hk and then finally returning back to Singapore, whats the best method of purchasing air tickets if i have no set departure and arrival dates?

if this routing, then you have to look at cathay. should not be cheap. my last trip in december by this routing, that is fly yo hk, transit, then off to taiwan, then back to hk for stopover and then back to singapore was $900++. i did not take notice if there is any open jaw or stuff though.

XiaoZen

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

for cost effective, i dun really recommend buying open/flexi ticket..

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is this similar to multi-stops?

I tried several budget flights with this, but not many can give a decent deal...
so i probably be doing a one-way flight.

btw guys, if i am flying one way on budget. Is it usually more ex to book the air tickets like less than a wk before flying off, as compared to getting it few mths early?

ziczach

Reaction score
I started travelling on my own at the age of 20.
Since then, I do not plan my travelling with others for the past 15 years.

As many of you mentioned, it's nice to travel alone and I've always encouraged my friends to do so.

The only downside is, it's difficult to share with others the really special moments you've encountered....although I really want to share them with my loved ones...but only I myself will truly understand the beautiful or the exciting moments.... pictures help, but not always you have the chance to take pictures.... and during my time, there was no digital cameras....developing all photos was very expensive....

Some personal tips:
Have a photcopy of your passport. It'll come in handy.. like withdrawing emergency money from your credit cards for places that don't use electronic devices..

(imho) Don't leave your passport in the hotel/lodge. Personally encountered a emergency situation where I had to run through receptionist's safe (with keys) to retrieve my own passport. The hotel was on fire.

One book said something like.. "pack only 20% of what you need".

Some words of wisdom from other travellers: "I don't know.. (where I'm going next)"

starsandstripes

Reaction score
kazuki: yeah similar to multi stops, haven't checked with airlines on open-jaw tickets but it'd probably be more expensive so I guess one-ways are the best alternative.

Also don't purchase tickets a week before, its usually pricier. Booking 2-3 months prior seems to be a golden standard. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach: note down the current prices and probably wait a month or two to see if there's any drop/increase. Set a maximum price that you'd pay and once it reach, buy it.

Which budget airlines do you guys usually travel on?

Last edited:

butterbarter

Reaction score
One book said something like.. "pack only 20% of what you need".

You should pack 100% of what you need. Luckily, what you need is actually very little. Most of the stuff travellers bring is what they THINK they MIGHT need, not what they actually need.

Frankly, besides 2 changes of clothes, some small bottles of toiletries, passport, wallet, a guidebook ( paper or electronic ) and a smartphone or even a tablet, you don't really need much else. All these can fit into a small bag weighing under 4-5 kgs.

Last edited:

butterbarter

Reaction score

If you only have 6-7 days, just spend it all in Hanoi. You can spend 2 days in Hanoi, 2-3 days in Sapa, 2-3 days in Halong Bay, and 1 day in Tam Coc. More than use up your 6-7 days.

If you are going Siem Reap, you'll need at least 2 days to see the major temples and Angkor Wat itself, so a 1 day ticket is not enough.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.