iBasso DX100 Reference DAP Impression

Randius

Reaction score
[Introduction]

After weeks of speculating on the specification and price, the much-awaited iBasso DX100 DAP was finally made available on the 19th of January. Despite the high pricing of 699 USD (and that's after discount), the very first batch of 40 units were sold out in less than 20 minutes after announcement! I have great confidence in iBasso products as I had used a couple of their amplifiers. I was lucky enough to secure a unit and received it on 2nd day of Chinese NY (less than a week)! Thanks iBasso and DHL!

The DX100 attracted much attention because it uses a high-end ES9018 Sabre DAC chip. It also supports bit-for-bit up to 24bit/192KHz high-resolution music files in most popular lossless format, yes, that includes the infamous ALAC! Freedom for Apple users!. Last but not least, it also has digital output via coaxial and optical and comes with 64GB storage space, making it a powerful transport. This is a bold move by iBasso as careful implementation is crucial to extract the best performance from the DAC chip and other components.

Disclaimer: I had only previously used setup such as iPhone/iPod with iBasso amps and I will sell away one setup before getting the next. Thus, my comment on sound quality is purely base on memory, so take it with pinch of salt.

350x233px-LL-60c5668e_6753329487_7fb772cf68.jpeg

<<To attach more images later>>

[Personal Experience]

In terms of packaging, I expected the item to come in a pretty big box but when I received the bundle, it was bigger than I thought. The box is well padded and looks good, although definitely not up to Ortofon eQ-7 packaging standard. First layer housed the DAP only and upon lifting the first layer, you will see the other items - power adaptor, USB and coaxial cable. There was no user manual provided and iBasso should come up with a manual to help with familiarizing with the custom player in the DX100.

Built-wise, it is simply fantastic, as evident from the recent range of products such as D12, P4, D7 etc. In my opinion, it looks far better than the brick-like Hifiman HM801 and a lot less flamboyant than the Colorfly C4. The top and bottom halves are made of aluminium alloy and securely put together. I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between this and other Made-In-Japan/Germany products. However, I think iBasso should provide a plug/cover for the 6.3mm port.

Listening to it out of the box with my 1964 Ears quad driver customs and stock cable (still waiting for my Twag to come back from RMA), I can only say that the headphone out is already good enough to trump my previous setups such as iPhone 4 + D12 via LOD and better H120 + D10 via optical. I do not hear any noise/hiss when the DX100 is switched on and not playing music. It is more musical sounding and has bigger and convincing sound stage than both setups and DX100 is almost as clean-sounding as the H120 + D10 via optical. Listening to the same classical tracks on DX100 is more enjoyable due to the added depth in sound stage. It is also capable of driving HD600 and LCD 3 to satisfying level. I do not own the Hifiman HM-801 or the Colorfly C4 so I will not be able to make any comparison. The downfall of such a powerful performance is the short battery life (around 6-8 hours) and bulk (about 3x thickness of iPhone 4).

The media player (written specifically for iBasso) is still a little quirky but has most basic functions such as EQ, filters and SRC. The bugs are just minor annoyances and does not affect me enjoying the music. iBasso is currently working hard to resolve the issues reported by the early adopters.

[Conclustion]

So far, I am very satisfied with the sound quality of the DX100 as it is musical, great transparency, has a convincing and enveloping atmosphere, great sound stage (actually adding depth to my 1964 Ears customs) and 3D presence. To me, it is a great all-in-one alternative to carrying DAP + LOD + Amp which may cost significantly more (of course, depends on setup) and much bulkier. Assembling the H120 + D10 + optical setup cost me about 600+ SGD and the DX100 (at discounted price) is about 900 SGD. Is DX100 worth the $300 more? Absolutely, so much so that I had not bothered to look at other equipment since getting the DX100.

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the chance to hear the DX-100, so cannot really comment how it sounds.

But my M-DAC is also using the same rather high end Sabre ESS 9018 DAC chip, and it sounds quite transparent and detailed.

Very happy with my DIYmod + ALO Continental amp currently. I have finally seem to find my favourite amp, so much so I have neglected my Madcap amp totally lately. Heard my setup with a Piccolino LOD and it sounded a substantial step-up from the TWag one I am currently using.

So Randius, able to meet up? Would love to try your new toy. I'll buy kopi.
:D

Randius

Reaction score
@guan22: sure thing. actually there's another guy pmed saying wanting to hear it out ;)

Koelsch

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh oh me too me too! I'll take queue number okie? Text me when its my turn to have a listen ^__^

aerolord

Master Member
Reaction score
nice... too bad I would not shell out so much for a music player now... maybe in the future :D. But this definitely caught my attention

Randius

Reaction score
Oh oh me too me too! I'll take queue number okie? Text me when its my turn to have a listen ^__^

Just meet together lor ;)

nice... too bad I would not shell out so much for a music player now... maybe in the future :D. But this definitely caught my attention

Have you seen how much the Altmann Teraplayer cost? Now that is crazy.

Last edited:

Techadd

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
[Introduction]

After weeks of speculating on the specification and price, the much-awaited iBasso DX100 DAP was finally made available on the 19th of January. Despite the high pricing of 699 USD (and that's after discount), the very first batch of 40 units were sold out in less than 20 minutes after announcement! I have great confidence in iBasso products as I had used a couple of their amplifiers. I was lucky enough to secure a unit and received it on 2nd day of Chinese NY (less than a week)! Thanks iBasso and DHL!

The DX100 attracted much attention because it uses a high-end ES9018 Sabre DAC chip. It also supports bit-for-bit up to 24bit/192KHz high-resolution music files in most popular lossless format, yes, that includes the infamous ALAC! Freedom for Apple users!. Last but not least, it also has digital output via coaxial and optical and comes with 64GB storage space, making it a powerful transport. This is a bold move by iBasso as careful implementation is crucial to extract the best performance from the DAC chip and other components.

Disclaimer: I had only previously used setup such as iPhone/iPod with iBasso amps and I will sell away one setup before getting the next. Thus, my comment on sound quality is purely base on memory, so take it with pinch of salt.

350x233px-LL-60c5668e_6753329487_7fb772cf68.jpeg

<<To attach more images later>>

[Personal Experience]

In terms of packaging, I expected the item to come in a pretty big box but when I received the bundle, it was bigger than I thought. The box is well padded and looks good, although definitely not up to Ortofon eQ-7 packaging standard. First layer housed the DAP only and upon lifting the first layer, you will see the other items - power adaptor, USB and coaxial cable. There was no user manual provided and iBasso should come up with a manual to help with familiarizing with the custom player in the DX100.

Built-wise, it is simply fantastic, as evident from the recent range of products such as D12, P4, D7 etc. In my opinion, it looks far better than the brick-like Hifiman HM801 and a lot less flamboyant than the Colorfly C4. The top and bottom halves are made of aluminium alloy and securely put together. I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between this and other Made-In-Japan/Germany products. However, I think iBasso should provide a plug/cover for the 6.3mm port.

Listening to it out of the box with my 1964 Ears quad driver customs and stock cable (still waiting for my Twag to come back from RMA), I can only say that the headphone out is already good enough to trump my previous setups such as iPhone 4 + D12 via LOD and better H120 + D10 via optical. I do not hear any noise/hiss when the DX100 is switched on and not playing music. It is more musical sounding and has bigger and convincing sound stage than both setups and DX100 is almost as clean-sounding as the H120 + D10 via optical. Listening to the same classical tracks on DX100 is more enjoyable due to the added depth in sound stage. It is also capable of driving HD600 and LCD 3 to satisfying level. I do not own the Hifiman HM-801 or the Colorfly C4 so I will not be able to make any comparison. The downfall of such a powerful performance is the short battery life (around 6-8 hours) and bulk (about 3x thickness of iPhone 4).

The media player (written specifically for iBasso) is still a little quirky but has most basic functions such as EQ, filters and SRC. The bugs are just minor annoyances and does not affect me enjoying the music. iBasso is currently working hard to resolve the issues reported by the early adopters.

[Conclustion]

So far, I am very satisfied with the sound quality of the DX100 as it is musical, great transparency, has a convincing and enveloping atmosphere, great sound stage (actually adding depth to my 1964 Ears customs) and 3D presence. To me, it is a great all-in-one alternative to carrying DAP + LOD + Amp which may cost significantly more (of course, depends on setup) and much bulkier. Assembling the H120 + D10 + optical setup cost me about 600+ SGD and the DX100 (at discounted price) is about 900 SGD. Is DX100 worth the $300 more? Absolutely, so much so that I had not bothered to look at other equipment since getting the DX100.

yo bro, can u specify its battery running hours in flac/looseless music if possible? :D:D

Randius

Reaction score
yo bro, can u specify its battery running hours in flac/looseless music if possible? :D:D

Bro, no need to quote the whole impression lah =:p

I play only lossless files consisting of 16/44.1 and 24/96-192 FLAC and ALAC and I get around 7 hours +- of playing time.

Randius

Reaction score
Great Review. But this is still kinda large and ex for a media player.

I would say it is slightly smaller than both HM801 and C4. Well, it is definitely more manageable than my H120 + D10 and I don't need to worry about LOD/interconnect.

Evolution9

Reaction score
Hi Randius, thanks for the review. Can i check if it works with Mac OS for files transfer?

Randius

Reaction score
good review. Any follow up to that?

Still listening to it and see if there will any more improvements. Just let a fellow bro try out today. He was using JH13 with Twag/Twcu hybrid and commented that the sound stage is very expansive (equal or slightly better than CLAS + ALO RX mkII), less bassy than HM801, slightly warm, very good 3D presence and instrument separation but not as detailed as he expected. He was listening to Inception album at 16/44.1 ALAC and Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 at 24/96 FLAC.

Anyone is welcome to try it out, at my convenience, of course =:p

Last edited:

Randius

Reaction score
iBasso is now accepting pre-order for 2nd batch. Following are the details provided by a Head-Fi member.

"Price & Payment:
The Pre-order price of the DX100 is 765USD. It is lower than our final retail price 829USD. We are going to charge 200USD as deposit first. When we are ready to ship the DX100, we will send out a Paypal invoice to collect the rest of the payment.

Production & Shipping Schedules:
The lead time for the 6-layer PCB is 18days. The SMT, soldering, test, assemble etc. takes about 20~25 days. Therefore, the estimated shipping date is around Mar 10th~15th. We will produce 350 pieces of DX100 this time. 250 pieces are for international pre-order and dealer orders, 100 pieces are for our domestic sale. It should be enough to sort out the demand. We can't produce and ship all DX100 at the same time. So, first come, first served.

Firmware & New Functions:
We will release a new firmware after 1~2 days, which fixed most of the bugs reported. Regarding to the gapless function, honestly, it doesn't work well when we are releasing this information. We will try our best to solve the problems, but we are not sure if we can finish this function. If you can't live without the gapless function, I would suggest you do not place the pre-order."

All you diehard-gapless fans wanting to get DX100, take note of the last sentence =:p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.