[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

Robert

Master Member
Reaction score
What you guys are saying is that I should forget about the 5GHz band, right?

If so, then what is the best (or fastest) wireless speed I can achieve and which encryption should I use? Leave is at 2.4GHz at WPA2-Personal AES, "n"?

I have a new Samsung TV, the A C Ryan Veolo, ipad, ipad2, iphones and laptops

Your expert advise pls

elpibe10

Reaction score
What you guys are saying is that I should forget about the 5GHz band, right?

No. Personally, I use it selectively depending on device and distance.

If so, then what is the best (or fastest) wireless speed I can achieve and which encryption should I use? Leave is at 2.4GHz at WPA2-Personal AES, "n"?

For best performance with highest security, leave it at WPA2-Personal AES and N only (unless you have B or G devices that require WiFi access).

elpibe10

Reaction score
how do I know if my devices are 'b' or 'g' or 'n'?

Look at the connection rate in the 'Wireless Log' tab (for RT-N56U only, doesn't show connection rate on RT-N66U) or check the specs of the devices (esp. if they are older ones).

Robert

Master Member
Reaction score
Look at the connection rate in the 'Wireless Log' tab (for RT-N56U only, doesn't show connection rate on RT-N66U) or check the specs of the devices (esp. if they are older ones).
Thanks - so i refer to the mac address and that is how i know?

if i set to 'n', for 2.4ghz and a b/g device tries to connect, will it be able to?

so far only the ipads can connect to the 5ghz at 'n'.

so should i have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz at 'n'? if so wouldn't it be redundent having 2 similar bands?

really sorry for the 20 questions

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score

if i set to 'n', for 2.4ghz and a b/g device tries to connect, will it be able to?

so should i have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz at 'n'? if so wouldn't it be redundent having 2 similar bands?

Wireless N has backward support for b and g it will connect but not at N rates.
As said before N standard is special, you can have 2.4GHZ N Routers as well as Dual Band N Routers.
2.4GHZ will not interfere with 5GHZ.
If you hardly use 5GHZ you can turn it off.

elpibe10

Reaction score

No, not the MAC Address. Look under 'System Log' --> "Wireless Log'

Each band (2.4 & 5) has its own advantages and disadvantages. No harm leaving both bands switched on as the power consumption is negligible, especially if it is idling (i.e. no device connected).

For 5GHz most devices are N so best to set it to N only
For 2.4GHz you need to check your existing devices. If only N then best to set to N only. Otherwise N & G. B is really ancient so unlikely you have any device using that unless it is very very old.

Robert

Master Member
Reaction score
No, not the MAC Address. Look under 'System Log' --> "Wireless Log'

Each band (2.4 & 5) has its own advantages and disadvantages. No harm leaving both bands switched on as the power consumption is negligible, especially if it is idling (i.e. no device connected).

For 5GHz most devices are N so best to set it to N only
For 2.4GHz you need to check your existing devices. If only N then best to set to N only. Otherwise N & G. B is really ancient so unlikely you have any device using that unless it is very very old.
I have set 5GHz to "N"; WPA2-PSK AES. Ipads can detect the SSID and connect.

I have set 2.4GHz to "N"; WPA2-PSK AES. Iphones can detect the SSID and connect. Laptops with b/g/n can connect.

But my IP camera only has WPA-PSK AES only, thus only "g" supported. If you were in this scenario, what would you do? I understand that 2.4GHz should be set as g/n to support new and slightly older devices (no "b" devices anymore). The N56U only have b/g mixed; n only; g only; b only; auto. Whats your recommendation?

elpibe10

Reaction score
Robert;64587144= said:
But my IP camera only has WPA-PSK AES only, thus only "g" supported. If you were in this scenario, what would you do? I understand that 2.4GHz should be set as g/n to support new and slightly older devices (no "b" devices anymore). The N56U only have b/g mixed; n only; g only; b only; auto. Whats your recommendation?

Set to Auto.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
They are introducing newer model, the RT-N66.. many could have waited for it..

The RT-N66U is not a replacement of the RT-N56U. The RT-N56U is a very capable router. I doubt if the RT-56U is going to be any cheaper when the RT-66U becomes available.

uplinkhack

Reaction score
The RT-N66U is not a replacement of the RT-N56U. The RT-N56U is a very capable router. I doubt if the RT-56U is going to be any cheaper when the RT-66U becomes available.
I'm actually pretty curious on where N66U would stand in the product range.

On a side note, is there a cheaper access point equivalent for the n56u without router capabilities?

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
In HK, the price for the 56u had drop a bit. I guess the 66u should be releasing soon.

Hope the same happens for S'pore. More users can get the 56u.

Anyway IT show next week. Should have some sort of offer for the 56u.

66u hopefully release also then.

Or is it already released?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.