[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are really on a budget, maybe you can look for a 2nd hand RT-N56U from an owner who is upgrading/has upgraded to the RT-N66U.

Too bad I don't sell my stuff, else I have 2 RT-N56U. And 2 Apple Airport Extreme Gen 4. :D

Robert

Master Member
Reaction score
With the help of all the kind folks here, I got my RT-N56U up and running with mostly default values (except the wireless security which i have changed the two SSIDs, encryption types etc.

Are there any other settings I could change to squeeze every little bit of performance out of this little baby?

For example, in the WAN DNS SETTING are blanks. But I read that using more reliable DNS servers (eg Google) could increase my surfing experience? Also entries like what is SHARED IP? Operation Mode leave in ROUTER or AP MODE? Etc

Robert

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

My IP camera (Dlink DCS-5220) has been setup to run at home. It has the IP of 192.168.1.yyy, and port forwarding completed as follows:

(From Asus RT-N56U)
v8edz8.jpg

(From Dlink DCS-5220 Camera)
dwro0k.jpg

From home, I can type in 192.168.1.yyy and I can see the streaming video in Internet Explorer, and also Firefox (through QuickTime).

From office, I can type in xxxx.dyndns.org:1099 and I can see the streaming video in Internet Explorer. In Firefox, the "Q" spins and nothing happens. Are there some RTSP etc I need to port-forward in QuickTime?

I didn't have these problems before in WRT54G

Thanks

Yellowfin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have this router setup as AP. The moment I turn off the "broadcast SSID" feature, my Iphone cannot find the network even though I try to type in the SSID name and password.

Any advice on this problem.

uplinkhack

Reaction score
need help. got a USB printer, can be detected on Windows 7 and installed as if the printer is connected directly to computer.

but how to setup for Mac???

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have this router setup as AP. The moment I turn off the "broadcast SSID" feature, my Iphone cannot find the network even though I try to type in the SSID name and password.

Any advice on this problem.
Then dont turn off lor... You cant hide the SSID when you transnit

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Done liao (see first pic above). Still no success.

Didnt rem seeing both RTP & RTSP...
But anyway, your office, can install plugin and connection unblocked not? Not all place allows some certain type of connection....

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Saw the prices for RT-N66U sianz......
I'll stick to my 56U for a while

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was told to hide SSID to secure the wifi. First time using the AP mode.:)

This isnt true actually. A hacker can always sniff out the frames the client is sending out to establish the SSID of the AP.

binary_0011

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some folks will tell you that turning off SSID broadcasting is useless because a hacker can use packet sniffing software to capture the SSID even if broadcasting is turned off. That's true, but why make it easier for them? That's like saying burglars can buy lockpicks, so locking the door is useless. Turning off broadcasting won't deter a serious hacker, but it will protect from the casual "piggybacker" (for example, a next door neighbor who notices the new network and decides to try connecting "just for fun").

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some folks will tell you that turning off SSID broadcasting is useless because a hacker can use packet sniffing software to capture the SSID even if broadcasting is turned off. That's true, but why make it easier for them? That's like saying burglars can buy lockpicks, so locking the door is useless. Turning off broadcasting won't deter a serious hacker, but it will protect from the casual "piggybacker" (for example, a next door neighbor who notices the new network and decides to try connecting "just for fun").
It all have to do with human psychology.
If you hide your SSID -> something to hide cause you don't want people to know -> people get curious -> hack you.:s12:

mercenary_sg

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I really need some help with this router.

House have already laid the network cables, thus running physical line.
1 PC, 2 Laptops

Situation
When the laptop HP DV6, runs utorrent.
All computers on the network will still have connectivity for any torrenting running in their computers.
All computers on the network will get gateway timeout, website taking too long to response.... Thus not even able to surf net.
Try using cmd to ping website. Able to ping yahoo, google with good ping timings. All the same for 3 computers.

Only this HP DV6 laptop will cause this above mentioned issue when using utorrent. Tried updating the network card drivers to no avail. DV6 was bought like a few months ago. Dun wan reinstall as laptop is not mine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No.
Yellowfin's problem is one fine example why hiding SSID is self-creating trouble.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not when people think hiding SSID is a security feature on its own, and do so without bothering with encryption. Basic security principles should already tell you that security cannot be achieved via obscurity. If your network is already properly secured with WPA2, there isn't even a need to hide it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.