Raspberry Pi the new simple SMALL PC

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
I already registered to reserve 1.
Come on 700MHZ ARM + Adreno GPU, it has practically the specs of an Android Handphone (Without the screen) at a fraction of its price.
It is a steal provided you have use for it.

KardBoard

Reaction score
No stock at element14.need to order 1st.price 45buck but not yet confirm yet as i saw it should be sell around 58++include gst.

simplon

Reaction score
i reserved one too.. at element14.. but no news..

my colleague was informed that it will be a 5-7 week wait.. and thats on 1st March when it was released..

eagerly waiting..

what are you guys gonna do with it?

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
I registered at RS Components they are one of the official distributor of Raspberry Pi.
I looked at some of the components and RS Components seemed to sell at a cheaper price.

Last edited:

simplon

Reaction score
I registered at RS Components they are one of the official distributor of Raspberry Pi.
I looked at some of the components and RS Components seemed to sell at a cheaper price.

RS Components still collecting interest only it seems.. So far emails are sent from them saying coming soon.. that's it..

seems like a huge shortage now for both distributors..

huntzer

Reaction score
It look interesting.

I will get one if there is ready stock.

Good for kids who want to try programming.

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
other than "kids trying out programming"

what other uses can you guys think of it ?

its realllyy small, but other than python programming, i don't see other uses

its so slow and comparable to a P2-300mhz :s8:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
other than "kids trying out programming"

what other uses can you guys think of it ?

its realllyy small, but other than python programming, i don't see other uses

its so slow and comparable to a P2-300mhz :s8:

Slow ? My old XT @ 4.77Mhz is slower and 100 times larger. There are so many stuffs that can be done with this, only limited by your imagination. Of course, you can't fit the use cases that requires 10K concurrent sockets that you can get in server class machine with this tiny machine right ?

For a system that can perform 1080p for the GPU can't be too shabby. You probably wouldn't want to run python on it if you want the best performance. C/C++ aside, node.js might be a good solution for network side of things.

It can be a really small web server, it can be running OpenCV to perform image recognition via a webcam over ip. It can developed into a small gadget to allow mobile video conferencing. How about a hacking tool that plug into any network and perform sniffing ? It's small, but not small enough because an even slower and smaller arduino can already be hack to do that. What is stopping you from developing it into a robot brain using something you are familiar to develop with ?

You have to be creative, don't just view it in comparison with the kind of powerful machine you have today. Think about it, 10 years ago, a lot of things have already been done with machines less powerful than this small little device. If you don't need 16.7M colours to get something done, a 256 colours at 320x200 can just provide sufficient entertainment.

Last of all, all of these for how much !? US$25 ? Compared to money I spend on a laptop, I can buy 50 to 100 of them and build a cluster service out of them!

habsters

Reaction score
Can I use the rustberry pie as a networked HTPC with my living room flatscreen TV?
Hope can use it to access my PC with a network drive (movies, word documents) and use it to watch movies or do work on the large display :D

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody build a htpc out of this? How to connect hdmi to this?

Singapura

Reaction score
:DJust collected my RasPi. There were only 2 delivered so I'm a lucky guy. The president of Element14 came down personally to hand it over. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.