StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

AwfulChoc

Reaction score
and that's not the end of my story. they deactivated my cable connection before activating my fiber. when my fiber is finally up, my 100mbps plan's wired connection speed is hovering from 10+ to 40+ Mbps. FML

how you check? on starhub webpage?

stilnox

Reaction score
and that's not the end of my story. they deactivated my cable connection before activating my fiber. when my fiber is finally up, my 100mbps plan's wired connection speed is hovering from 10+ to 40+ Mbps. FML

is your LAN card on 10/100Mbps instead of 10/100/1000Mbps?

habsters

Reaction score
I understand tht Speedtest.net isn't a good gauge...

But I'm having very strange speeds during peak hours on a wired connection...
1856901601.png

EDIT: This is tested from a 100Mbps Ultimate connection

Last edited:

Ap3s

Reaction score
yup. on this link. Starhub - Online
complained to starhub. now can hit 90+. but sometimes still hover around 50+.

how to i check if it's 10/100/1000Mbps? Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.

stilnox

Reaction score
yup. on this link. Starhub - Online
complained to starhub. now can hit 90+. but sometimes still hover around 50+.

how to i check if it's 10/100/1000Mbps? Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.

Gigabit should be 10/100/1000Mbps. than yr speed is strange.. might wanna chk ddirectly with SH..

BKsianZZ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Networking noob here, going to get the optic fibre installed at home, so I want to ask some questions.

- Can I still use my existing wireless router that connects from my cable modem? Its the Linksys E4200 model.

- Currently using MaxOnline Express plan (16mbps $59/mth), if I stick to this plan will my speed be faster when i switch to optic fibre or i need to upgrade my plan for faster speed?

- Since the optic fibre will be fixed to the hall, if i want direct connection, do you recommend I use those power line technology?

CanNik

Reaction score
Networking noob here, going to get the optic fibre installed at home, so I want to ask some questions.

- Can I still use my existing wireless router that connects from my cable modem? Its the Linksys E4200 model.

- Currently using MaxOnline Express plan (16mbps $59/mth), if I stick to this plan will my speed be faster when i switch to optic fibre or i need to upgrade my plan for faster speed?

- Since the optic fibre will be fixed to the hall, if i want direct connection, do you recommend I use those power line technology?

on starhub? no. if you want need ONT > RG > E4200

will be faster if you switch to fibre

use powerline technology if extra wiring is not permitted

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repost from my thread, for awareness

I subscribed to Starhub MaxInfinity 100mbps and had it functional starting from 6th Feb 2012.

From the very first day onwards, I have been plagued by this persistant problem with my Internet Browsers.
No matter what I surf, sometime i cannot load any website pages at all. Intranet(192.168~) is unaffected, and so is non-Internet browser programs like MSN Messenger and Bittorrent.

It happens on my PC, on my laptop and on any iPhones/Android devices using the said network.
On Firefox, the error is shown below. In Internet Explorer, it is shown like this.
no-internet-connection-IE.png

The problem does not have a set time when it appeared. Rather its more like random and it occurs at least once a day, lasting up to 30secs-1mins each time.

My home network is like this:

ONT -> Starhub DVG N5402SP LAN Port 1-> (via CAT6 cable) PC ; LAN Port 2-> (via CAT6 cable) TV; LAN Port 3 -> (via CAT6 cable) Dlink 615 Access Point(plugged to its LAN port)

1. Starhub tried troubleshooting via email. Disconnecting the wired connection to my Dlink 615 Access Point, using wired and wireless connection.
The problem still persists.

2. Starhub swapped my ONT and Dlink RG. Problem still persists.

3. Fiber Signal strength is strong. 80~ or so

I am at my wits end. Because unplugging the DLink 615 and still having the problem, it narrowed the problem to an area of :

ONT -> Starhub DVG N5402SP LAN Port 1-> (via CAT6 cable) PC

However, when it still persists after replacement of both RG and ONT, I cannot pinpoint anymore because the PC cannot be the culprit(as laptop also kenna) and both hardware changed. The only possibility is the firmwares but that would means all subscribers using the same HW would be affected.

I have set up my laptop to reload the website Youtube.com every 30 seconds(via Firefox's add on ReloadEvery) and recorded the screen via Hypercam. Bingo! I captured it occuring twice an hour ago.

Using Windows Clock(accurate) in the video as reference, the problem appears at 8:47:43 mark(8.47pm 43th second) and 8:50:44(8.50pm 44th second).

b1e89600.png

On my PC, I have screenshot the occurance at 8:50:44. I did not screenshot the earlier one. This prove that the problem is not confined to the PC or laptop alone. The BattleNet tab is unrefreshed and nothing was loading in that. Also notice Messenger still running normally.

I am pretty much at my wits end. My evidences suggest that this problem is not on my hardwares but rather on Starhub's end.

If anyone have this persistent daily issue as well, please come forward and let me and Starhub know. If Starhub is unable to fix the issue, I will terminate my contract and withhold all payments due for MaxInfinity. I can and I have the resources to fight Starhub in court should they demand termination fee. No termination penalty will be paid at all due to the unreliability of Starhub's MaxInfinity service.

PS: Please dont tell me Bittorrent is causing the issue. I have observed multiple times that the torrents were downloading as per normal during the problem. BT has nothing to do with the issue. Even when BT is not active or initialised, the problem occurs.

yewang

Reaction score
did you try using Google Public DNS instead and see if the problem still persists?

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
did you try using Google Public DNS instead and see if the problem still persists?

Yes, i changed DNS to Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, and Starhub auto DNS but it still persists.

This is on LAN side though, the three addresses stated on the WAN side cannot be changed at all as SH technician confirmed it was on their end.

yewang

Reaction score
hnmm..that's interesting... sorry, not to add salt on your wound but from a troubleshooting perspective, it is an interesting case.

So during the period that you are disconnected, are you able to ping a public IP (e.g. Singnet's DNS: 165.21.83.88)?

How about a trace route to 165.21.83.88?

yewang

Reaction score
Yes, i changed DNS to Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, and Starhub auto DNS but it still persists.

This is on LAN side though, the three addresses stated on the WAN side cannot be changed at all as SH technician confirmed it was on their end.

I suppose the 3 address you are referring to is your 1 x WAN Gateway IP, 2 x Starhub DNS IP?

CanNik

Reaction score
hnmm..that's interesting... sorry, not to add salt on your wound but from a troubleshooting perspective, it is an interesting case.

So during the period that you are disconnected, are you able to ping a public IP (e.g. Singnet's DNS: 165.21.83.88)?

How about a trace route to 165.21.83.88?

Singnet Primary DNS, my usual test route.

currently ping no issues, trace route no issues. but web browsing still an issue.

before the change of RG, trace route is an issue. My trace route will constantly lead me back to google. My web surfing can only go to google even when i type forums.hardwarezone.com.sg it will lead me back to google.

yewang

Reaction score
Singnet Primary DNS, my usual test route.

currently ping no issues, trace route no issues. but web browsing still an issue.

before the change of RG, trace route is an issue. My trace route will constantly lead me back to google. My web surfing can only go to google even when i type forums.hardwarezone.com.sg it will lead me back to google.
hmm.... since you mentioned just web browsing, I am thinking if it could be their proxy issue. Every segment of their network uses a different proxy if I am not mistaken.

Are you able to access Hurricane Electric BGP Toolkit and what would the "You are visiting from x.x.x.x" be?

yewang

Reaction score
Im referring to 218.186.1.58, 218.186.2.16, 218.186.2.6
Those 3 addresses are Starhub's DNS cache farms.
Yes, these 3 addresses you won't be able to change.
But on the client side, you can force the client to use Google Public DNS instead of using those that are given by Starhub.

Do you have a Mac/iPhone/iPad at home? What's the behavior of those devices if you hardcode the DNS of those device to 8.8.8.8?

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those 3 addresses are Starhub's DNS cache farms.
Yes, these 3 addresses you won't be able to change.
But on the client side, you can force the client to use Google Public DNS instead of using those that are given by Starhub.

Do you have a Mac/iPhone/iPad at home? What's the behavior of those devices if you hardcode the DNS of those device to 8.8.8.8?

They will also face the same issue when it occurs. On my iPhone, it says unable to connect to the server bla bla

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.