[HELP] Need advice on CAT 6 lan cable installation

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Greetings.

I was quoted $270 for installation from living room (4S HDB) to two bedrooms and $80 for 4 LAN faceplates.

Is that the market price or too expensive?

HWZ brothers please kindly advise.
Faceplate don't cost anything, really:s22:

comtt74

Reaction score
To HWZ brothers who are considering to install LAN cables, after much asking around, it seems that currently market price ranges from $120 to $180 or more to intall 1 LAN point, you are paying more for the labour cost. Cheers.

Seedbox

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any lobangs of shops which sells the cheapest cat 5e cables? :o
Looking for at least 30-50m :)

limited

Reaction score
Unless you are talking about routing the cables through walls e.g drilling, installation of new trunking, its not that hard to set it up yourself. If you are worried about faceplates and all, youtube videos are aplenty on them.

IF you DIY, i think with CAT5e cables would it <$50. So you can guage if you are willing to pay $150more for labour.

comtt74

Reaction score
Latest update, I cancelled the installation as I am very unhappy due to some issues caused by the technician.

Anyway, I managed to find another contact over the internet.

The technician's name is Ayub at 81186069 who does structured cabling aka network cabling.

I got my CAT 5E installation done by him yesterday.

Why not CAT 6 which I originally intend to install?

I decided on CAT 5E due to costs and feedback from HWZ brothers that CAT 6 is over-kill.

Furthermore, he is able to get it done within the same date I called him.

In my own views,

I give him 10 out of 10 points for the work done up nicely.

He does not rush his work.

Anything you request to touch up to your liking, he will do it for you again and again.

He uses adhesive tape instead of drilling to secure the PVC trunking to wall.

After that, he will use gap filler (white colour silicon) to seal up the gaps on both sides of the PVC trunking.

He also tested the RJ45 connectors using a device to ensure that all the 8 mini wires are touching the teeth inside the jack head.

He did issue me a receipt for the service done by him.

He also added to call him is anything goes wrong after he left.

By the way, I am not related to him but I am a happy customer.

Cheers.

Tokieda

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi bro, can pm me how it was done and cost?

my fiber TP is inside a cabinet near my door, very far from my tv and desktop, very sian.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My understanding is cat 6 is only a wee bit more costly then 5e. Anyway, do note that different brand cables means different cost. Do ask for details when given a quote.

Mister A may quote more as he's giving u AMP brand cat 6 while Mister B may b offering ah tiong brand cat 5 (not 5e!!) which is why he's so much cheaper.

So make sure u r comparing oranges with oranges.

comtt74

Reaction score
My understanding is cat 6 is only a wee bit more costly then 5e. Anyway, do note that different brand cables means different cost. Do ask for details when given a quote.

Mister A may quote more as he's giving u AMP brand cat 6 while Mister B may b offering ah tiong brand cat 5 (not 5e!!) which is why he's so much cheaper.

Yes, I agreed with you if you are buying cat 6 cables and DIY yourself.

From my understanding, currently in the market, CAT 6 will cost you about $120 to $150 per point (referral price) while non-referral price is about $170 to $180 per point.

If you are going for AMP cables, you can physically look at the box and cable to verify that it is from AMP.

Cheers.

neubie

Reaction score

Nowadays cables are all made in tiong kok

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agreed with you if you are buying cat 6 cables and DIY yourself.

From my understanding, currently in the market, CAT 6 will cost you about $120 to $150 per point (referral price) while non-referral price is about $170 to $180 per point.

If you are going for AMP cables, you can physically look at the box and cable to verify that it is from AMP.

Cheers.

Hmm.. your quoted price is inclusive of cable cost itself right?

I was quoted $180 for installation of 2 CAT6 cables from one end of my home to another, and this included concealment behind false ceiling.

Belden cable self-procure at $1 per m so probably about $60 or so for cable cost.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.