Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw, this week is Singapore Riesling Week!

remember to have a glass of riesling this week and tell us about it!

none of my rieslings are ready yet...so i may have to go out to drink 'em.

hkm520240

Reaction score
also this weekend is the Wine and Spirits Asia convention at expo.

Wine&SpiritsAsia 2012 is co-located with Food & Hotel Asia (FHA) from 17 – 20 April 2012, 10am – 6pm (17 – 19 Apr, Tuesday – Thursday) & 10am – 4pm (20 Apr, Friday) at Singapore Expo, Halls 1 – 9.

Too bad it is on weekday if not I will be very interested to go.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why is it Riesling Week?

dunno...probably a coordinated marketing push by wine retailers and restaurants for consumer more rieslings haha :s13:

Riesling Week Singapore!

in addition, the german wine queen for 2012 Annika Strebel is in Singapore.

63.DeutscheWeink%C3%B6nigin:AnnikaStrebel.jpeg

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Wine&SpiritsAsia 2012 is co-located with Food & Hotel Asia (FHA) from 17 – 20 April 2012, 10am – 6pm (17 – 19 Apr, Tuesday – Thursday) & 10am – 4pm (20 Apr, Friday) at Singapore Expo, Halls 1 – 9.

Too bad it is on weekday if not I will be very interested to go.

i have passes for FHA as I am in F&B industry but I dunno if I can enter WSA. Also I have to go through during work hours and I don't think I can drink (or taste) during work hours.

Kimozz

Reaction score
i have passes for FHA as I am in F&B industry but I dunno if I can enter WSA. Also I have to go through during work hours and I don't think I can drink (or taste) during work hours.

Nice, which side of the f&b industry are you in?

Say its for work purpose thats why you drink :D

reign

Reaction score
btw, this week is Singapore Riesling Week!

remember to have a glass of riesling this week and tell us about it!

none of my rieslings are ready yet...so i may have to go out to drink 'em.

Just Opened the GLeisweiler Holle Spatlese 2009>, this is good! The Sweetness and the body!. Very Smooth on the palate. The amazement is when i drink it from Different glass, the sweetness diff from glass to glass. Same for the Scent. Thanks Ikileo for this recommendation, Will wanna try the Donnhoff the next round.

Actually, what is the drinking period for riesling?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it depends on the type of rieslings. top rieslings from kabinett onwards call for at least 8-10 years while the sweeter ones can definitely go longer than that.

in it's youth it is very nice already, but as it ages more complexities and textures appear.

rieslings really change in the glass over a period of time, that's why it's nice.

made it to FHA2012 yesterday for 40 minutes, but i was there on business. I passed the German booth and saw one of the distributors I know and the German wine queen of 2012. I said hi and managed a sneak taste of one of the wines.

A small under the radar producer from the Rheinhessen. it was a classic dry german wine made from their native Silvaner grapes. elegant but tight at this moment. It was a 1 minute taste and spit (cannot drink during work hours) and then I ran off!

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually i am lagging very badly behind on my tasting notes...need to find an hour or so to sit down and just do it.

looiwte

Reaction score
Tried a Bott Geyl Sonnenglaz Gewurz (2006) today, didn't know it was of the late harvest (VT) style as it wasn't labelled so... came out in this rich straw amber colour, sweet with honey, peaches etc. but felt one dimensional and flabby to me. Maybe it's the vintage..

Btw the owner/winemaker from Ashbrook is in town to promote his wines, at Fairprice Finest. Was at Thomson Plaza, and Bkt Timah Plaza today, he'll be at Bishan J8 tomorrow. He's really tall, think about 2m? Anyway, I've always felt the Ashbrook wines are terrific value, especially the Bordeaux blend Cabernet Merlot, with them selling A$20+ domestically, and ~S$29 here when on offer. Compare this with something like Wyndham Estate 444/555 series, which retails at <A$10 in Oz and ~S$26 here. Pricing is only one indicator of wine quality but this is an example of great value in the supermarket - the Cab Merlot has gorgeous fruit and 2 years each of oak and bottle aging. Kudos to whoever at NTUC is responsible for getting them here. Good chance also to chat with the winemaker of this small 'publicity-shy' brand (~14000 cases), as opposed to a promoter or marketer.

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
shall we have another session in May? Let's start planning for this.
Any suggestions where we can makan?

looiwte

Reaction score
Haha, funny..

How about our potluck idea last time round?

Can't think of many BYO restaurants on weekends, except Tastings Room on Sundays.

As for dates, I'm ok for last two weeks of May.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Potluck sounds fine but where can we have it? Anyone live in condo we can rent out one of the event rooms? Or at extra space like hkm suggested?

hkm520240

Reaction score
Sure we can do it at Extra Space tasting room @ Boon Keng road. There got plenty of chairs and few table should be enough for 10+ person. We can either potluck or order delivery. We ordered Nasi Briyani during my last wine session at ES with few kakis.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sounds like a good idea!

for all those interested, how does 25th May (friday) evening sound?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys and all newbies and oldies...here's something interesting i got from another wine forum.

The Wine Society in England has just released a series of buying guide of major wine regions. it's simple to follow and very very great way for those who are starting out or wanting to explore new regions to know the region better and what producers to look out for!

The URL is long, so i've shortened it:
How to Buy guides : Wine Regions : Explore Wine : The Wine Society

Happy downloading!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.