Aztech Homeplug 500 Mbps no good

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jz to share. i m using aztech 200mbps plug n getting abt 30mbps. at 1 pc show, i told 1 aztech's sales engineer abt this n asked him if i would to change it to the new 500mbps plug, how much improvement will i be getting. he said not much, at best only a few mbps, due to the current wire condition at my place, n he din recommend the change.

can i ask if the 200mbps that u have, is it the starter kit that have two homeplug in 1 retail box?

dantom04

Reaction score
Anyone else have any other comments?

Stick with 200mbps homeplugs will do?
Dlink or Aztech?

nanoprobe

Reaction score
I'm currently at same decision point. Using 200Mbps but hungry for more. I do transfer large collection of photos and videos across to my NAS and would glad for som more Mbps. Was thinking of trying 500Mbps plugs... But this has made me think again..

misato

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at same decision point. Using 200Mbps but hungry for more. I do transfer large collection of photos and videos across to my NAS and would glad for som more Mbps. Was thinking of trying 500Mbps plugs... But this has made me think again..
For someone who has tried all possible variety of homeplug (85/200/500/1000mbps) from Aztech, the 500mbps gave me the best performance (average of 130mbps ~ 170mbps).

The 200mbps imho is the most stable implementation but at the cost of being the slowest as well (85mbps is no better than lousy days on wireless N). If you look up my findings in the Aztech homeplug thread (use this forum search function please), the power outlet that works for the 200mbps homeplug might not work as well but in general if your getting a good speed from one power point to another power point on the 200mbps homeplug, dropping in the 500mbps version would general gain you better performance.

Again I must mention that if you doing homeplug mixing (diff brands/diff speed), do expect to get a big speed slow down to the slowest speed in your mix.

Other discussion threads on the Aztech 500mbps homeplug
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...mbps-homeplug-ac-pass-thru-price-3307673.html

My test feedback -> http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/61773841-post392.html

Last edited:

setiardi

Reaction score
Bought 1 HL115EP and paired with HL110EW.

I got 50Mbps (write) transfer as compared to 30+Mbps (write) previously using a pair of HL110EW.

I used Lan Speed test software ver 1.17 to transfer 100Mb to my NAS.

Speed ok for me. But will get 1 more HL115EP to confirm.

BTW I'm getting 80+Mbps (write) using cat5e cable direct to router.

dantom04

Reaction score
Bought 1 HL115EP and paired with HL110EW.

I got 50Mbps (write) transfer as compared to 30+Mbps (write) previously using a pair of HL110EW.

I used Lan Speed test software ver 1.17 to transfer 100Mb to my NAS.

Speed ok for me. But will get 1 more HL115EP to confirm.

BTW I'm getting 80+Mbps (write) using cat5e cable direct to router.

Eagerly awaiting ur finding on a pair of HL115ep!

mingli983

Reaction score
just wondering, any issues with the HL115EP working with Windows 7? Can't get any wireless at my desktop in the study room after recently upgrading to Starhub Fibre internet and the router has to be placed in the living room as my ONT is there. so no choice but to get home plugs.

IncTEh

Master Member
Reaction score
TS, i experimented with aztech HL280E before. I can get 110mbps on my starhub 100mbps plan. But when I plug the homeplug to an extension cord (those with multiple plugs), it drops to 70mbps. And if both plugs are on extension plugs, it drops to 40mbps. Maybe you can try plugging both to direct wall socket and give it a try.

IncTEh

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh btw, my flat is 24 years old. And I'm letting go my homeplugs, aztech HL280E, at 70 for the pair with cat 6 cables.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I m getting 100++mbps for my m1 fibre 100mbps plan. My flat 7 to 8 years old. Btw I now using a pair of 115ep 500mbps home plugs if I add in another 200kbps home plug will KB existing pair's speed get affected?

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Singtel 100Mbps fibre and Aztech 500Mbps homeplug.

2573733096.png

niwde1980

Reaction score
lets try to sort a few things. u have surge protector plugged into house power socket? you have wirelss phone plug into power socket.

try this test, switch off all electric appliances including lights. u can exclude the fridge. remove their plug from the power socket. turn on only ur ont and one PC only (no router), setup ont -> homeplug -> PC .

try the speed test, see what response u get.

if u dun mind, please post the results here.

I do this test for fun :s13:

I only switch off TV and Fan in my room.
2574981735.png

with TV and Fan switch on in my room.
2574983307.png

I on SH 100mbps

Last edited:

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
I do this test for fun :s13:

I only switch off TV and Fan in my room.
2574981735.png

with TV and Fan switch on in my room.
2574983307.png

I on SH 100mbps

I'm not surprise the speed is affected when electrical appliances such as microwave and aircon are switched on which are known to cause interference (aka noise).

My home plug speed indicator go from green to orange/red when aircons are turned out and speed drops from about 50mbps to 30mbps.

electrica

Reaction score
Direct ONT to Homeplug HL115EP connection

I recently upgraded to MaxInfinity 100 Mbps and thinking of using Homeplug to distribute broadband around the appartment. Starhub bundle gave me a Huawei HG863 ONT and D-Link wireless router.

The HG863 ONT output is only VLAN if I am not wrong (I am only basic IT literate).

When I connect HG863 ONT--> D-Link WR --> laptop, it works
but HG863 ONT--> laptop does not work. This I believe is due to the VLAN and I found another thread on HWZ to work around this issue.

HG863 ONT --> Aztech Homeplug 200 mbps also doesn't work.

What I want to ask is, has anyone here tried connecting Homeplug HL115EP directly to VLAN port of HG863 ONT or any other ONT from other providers? I haven't seen anyone mentioning it here and I assume most people go through a wireless router or a switch. In the QoS of HL115EP, it says "Hardware VLAN" and I am wondering if it means support for VLAN connectivity.

Would appreciate if anyone can share their experience with ONT to Homeplug direct connection.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to MaxInfinity 100 Mbps and thinking of using Homeplug to distribute broadband around the appartment. Starhub bundle gave me a Huawei HG863 ONT and D-Link wireless router.

The HG863 ONT output is only VLAN if I am not wrong (I am only basic IT literate).

When I connect HG863 ONT--> D-Link WR --> laptop, it works
but HG863 ONT--> laptop does not work. This I believe is due to the VLAN and I found another thread on HWZ to work around this issue.

HG863 ONT --> Aztech Homeplug 200 mbps also doesn't work.

What I want to ask is, has anyone here tried connecting Homeplug HL115EP directly to VLAN port of HG863 ONT or any other ONT from other providers? I haven't seen anyone mentioning it here and I assume most people go through a wireless router or a switch. In the QoS of HL115EP, it says "Hardware VLAN" and I am wondering if it means support for VLAN connectivity.

Would appreciate if anyone can share their experience with ONT to Homeplug direct connection.

yes. technically you cant do it that way unless you are on Direct ONT.

electrica

Reaction score
yes. technically you cant do it that way unless you are on Direct ONT.

Thanks Gribber.

I learned a few more things after asking around but being only basic IT literate, I can't confirm the veracity of the info. I was told the ONT cannot generate an IP address so it must go thru a router that does. I really dislike the D-Link wireless router that came with my plan. It is big, ugly and interferes with the white theme of my apartment. Does anyone know if there is a 2-in-1 ONT + wireless router that can work with StarHub fiber?

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gribber.

I learned a few more things after asking around but being only basic IT literate, I can't confirm the veracity of the info. I was told the ONT cannot generate an IP address so it must go thru a router that does. I really dislike the D-Link wireless router that came with my plan. It is big, ugly and interferes with the white theme of my apartment. Does anyone know if there is a 2-in-1 ONT + wireless router that can work with StarHub fiber?

Actually not so correct. Starhub insists on using their router because due to some back end configuration(i shall save on the technical info), only their devices can get internet connectivity. They DO allow direct connection of the PC to ONT in case by case basis(personal experience some time ago).

There are commercial ONT+Router(called GPON Router) but you will not be able to use it because it requires special configuration on both side in order to be used. A certain ISP here is using a GPON router though.

huffie

Reaction score
Since there is already a thread on Aztech 500mbps, just got a pair recently and placed one at the router and another one on my PC. Initial test was good as there was about 40% improvement over the previous 200mbps homeplug. However, lately saw that the link LED is lit up on my PC plug but it's not transmitting out (total all 3 green LED are lit). Have to on/off the switch to get it working, after a few packets sent, same thing happened again.

Anyone encounter such issues before? Have tried swapping the 2 and problem still persists, so it's not due to 1 faulty homeplug as my wireless through 110EW still can communicate with the one at the router.:s11::s11::s11:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.