Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have read this thread for page 1 onwards over the last 3 days.
Very informative.

I have a couple of questions to ask tho:

* seems the the SCB platform is not the most user friendly and stable. But has there been improvements over the past months since it was lanuched ? Just curious

* I understand that for Singtel it is possible to 10 or 100 shares.
Singtel 10 / Singtel 100 for example.
But is it possible for other stocks such Starhub or ST for example ?

Thanks.

* not much change. whats your priority? a nice platform with all the tools but more expensive commission OR just a simple platform to transact cheaply? if its the latter, then SCB is for you.

* number of shares still follow the same board lot conventions like other brokers.

Gerrard

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

* I am just curious if SCB have been upgrading their platform for the past year. I am looking for a simple platform for buy and hold basically so that a simple & cheap platform will do just fine.

* Are there any other ways to buy 100 / 500 shares of other stocks beside Singtel ? My funds are limited ...

Nuggette

Reaction score
wow
scb froze my US trading account due to expiry of my w8ben form..
and it will be frozen until my new declaration has been received
is that normal?

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do i know that my W8ben form has been received, processed, and can start buying US shares from the SCB platform?

Silverion

Reaction score
btw.. for transpac shares purchased through SCB, are we entitled for the "hold 3 get 1 free" bonus shares?

below state only CDP account..

Shareholders (whose Shares are deposited with Central Depository (Pte) Limited (CDP)) whose
Securities Accounts maintained with CDP are credited with Shares as at 5.00 p.m. on the Books
Closure Date will be allotted Bonus Shares under the proposed Bonus Issue on the basis of the
number of Shares standing to the credit of their Securities Accounts with CDP as at 5.00 p.m. on
such date.

Gordonchew

Reaction score
Hi, anyone know whether standard chartered give out scrip dividend if the share that I hold is giving out? It seems that they did not give me=(

blackie83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SGX announcement gotch write gotch means must give la. But they usually 1 day slower to credit in the amount.

nit3kill3r

Reaction score
anyone knows whether under 21 can open scb trading account? do they have those young investors programs?

pleeted

Reaction score
to trade us markets and other foreign markets, is this better or us brokers better like IB, etrade and optionsxpress?

tradesec

Reaction score
to trade us markets and other foreign markets, is this better or us brokers better like IB, etrade and optionsxpress?

It depends whether you can take the credit risk. Online brokers have their advantages such as cheap brokerage fees. However, you never know whether they will pay you in the event you win a big trade. You will have a hard time getting back your winnings.

If you trade via local broker, they are regulated by MAS, plus your shares are custodised either under CDP or the firm, it will be safer to trade as the credit risk is much lower. In the event of a default, you can complain to MAS, SGX.

However, i have a friend who is using optionExpress to trade US market. He is still using the platform now.

pleeted

Reaction score
It depends whether you can take the credit risk. Online brokers have their advantages such as cheap brokerage fees. However, you never know whether they will pay you in the event you win a big trade. You will have a hard time getting back your winnings.

If you trade via local broker, they are regulated by MAS, plus your shares are custodised either under CDP or the firm, it will be safer to trade as the credit risk is much lower. In the event of a default, you can complain to MAS, SGX.

However, i have a friend who is using optionExpress to trade US market. He is still using the platform now.

thanx 4 de reply.

RaymondED

Reaction score
If I sell my YOMA shares today I will I still have the rights? I called SCB today and they said they will only start recording who has what rights at 4 june so according to them if I don't hold on to my shares till then I would have forfeited my rights. But what i read about XR is different, if i sell won't i still have the rights? So which is which?

Would like an education on this.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If I sell my YOMA shares today I will I still have the rights? I called SCB today and they said they will only start recording who has what rights at 4 june so according to them if I don't hold on to my shares till then I would have forfeited my rights. But what i read about XR is different, if i sell won't i still have the rights? So which is which?

Would like an education on this.

if your shares are held in cdp, on XR, you can sell and get entitled to the rights, but because your shares are held in scb, i am not sure whether will rights be treated differently, so it is better to get a few opinions from SCB or write an email to them and get black/white backing

RaymondED

Reaction score
if your shares are held in cdp, on XR, you can sell and get entitled to the rights, but because your shares are held in scb, i am not sure whether will rights be treated differently, so it is better to get a few opinions from SCB or write an email to them and get black/white backing

The only thing they seem to be sure about is that next week they will start calling for further instructions as to whether i wish to exercise my rights or not. I guess I will play it safe and continue to hold.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This is scaremongering. The big US brokers - maybe not E*Trade, but definitely IB and OptionsXpress (owned by Charles Schwab) - are just as stable as the big Singaporean brokers. And is it really worth paying nearly 30 times as much brokerage (not a typo: IB, $1/trade; DBSV, $29/trade) to use a local broker?

The guy's talking about US shares, so the CDP's got nothing to do with it.

For, let's say, DBS, your shares will be custodised with DBS's sub-custody agent, which (I think) is Bank of New York. If you trade with optionsXpress, your shares will be custodised at Charles Schwab.

Look, if you pick a dodgy Mauritian or Cypriot broker, then you deserve whatever you get. But for US shares, the big US brokers are excellent - and going with them means you're not paying the extortionate brokerage fees that local brokers demand (and this, sadly, includes Saxo). The local brokers charge far too much for a simple service. Don't encourage them.

khenwooi

Reaction score
anyone having problems logging into stand chart?

the online banking option seems to be down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.