Breadtalk (for discussion)

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Anyone got any idea if Breadtalk stock in long run is fundamentally strong?

observing their daily biz (breadtalk, toastbox, Food republic, Din tai fung) seems to be doing very well

Icing Room, Ramen Play, Carl's Jr, I have no idea. But looking at their expansion plans in e.g. china, they can do quite well with asian consumerism.

Any one got any ideas?

kissinvestor

Reaction score
I personally quite like it. Today's price is at $0.475. I think got potential go to the average price of $0.55 and beyond.

It's like a consumer brand etched into everyone's minds. Want to buy some nice design bread for your children - Buy breadtalk.

I dug into their annual report and presentation slides and got the following: they are moving into Premium food establishments and expanding aggressively.

I favour Breadtalk as a food mongul with the ability to keep selling franchises and able to make acquisitions with the huge cashflow they have now. :)

WindBoi

Reaction score
i hate the food business after food junction. but breadtalk is operating for sometime.

don't just look at the food play. they will change when it doesn't work. what matters are the people behind it. the management, are the shrewd?

how do you judge that? look from 2003 to curren tyears revenue and income and match the moves they make. is that satisfactory. going forward people still need to eat, but the same concept may or may not work anymore.

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think their bakery business is bringing in the dough. It's their Food Republic and Din Tai Fung business that is doing extremely well.

Didn't know Carl's Junior was owned by them.

Not vested but I do think they are trading below value. April was 51.5 cents. Not vested.

OddEye

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If only Kopitiam is listed. I think that business can earn even more considering many Singaporeans buy from their food court including my family:(

RoystonTeo

Reaction score
I don't think their bakery business is bringing in the dough. It's their Food Republic and Din Tai Fung business that is doing extremely well.

Didn't know Carl's Junior was owned by them.

Not vested but I do think they are trading below value. April was 51.5 cents. Not vested.

I think they got Carl's Junior franchise but let it go some time back.

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think they got Carl's Junior franchise but let it go some time back.

I only know that Breadtalk, Food Republic, Kopitiam, Din Tai Fung and Icing Room is under them.

Of all these businesses, I believe the first and last are the least profitable. I spoke to some bakery owners before, their margins are not as fantastic as other forms of food business.

Breadtalk didn't used to have discounts after 9pm, but now they do. Competition is very stiff at this level nowadays. You no longer see long queues at their outlets even after office hours.

OddEye

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only know that Breadtalk, Food Republic, Kopitiam, Din Tai Fung and Icing Room is under them.

Of all these businesses, I believe the first and last are the least profitable. I spoke to some bakery owners before, their margins are not as fantastic as other forms of food business.

Breadtalk didn't used to have discounts after 9pm, but now they do. Competition is very stiff at this level nowadays. You no longer see long queues at their outlets even after office hours.

Correction: Breadtalk owns Food Republic not Kopitiam. If got Kopitiam stock, I will be the first to chiong to buy liaoz

iCuteCube

Master Member
Reaction score
Correction: Breadtalk owns Food Republic not Kopitiam. If got Kopitiam stock, I will be the first to chiong to buy liaoz

Haha, sure buy kopitiam, they are everywhere in Singapore. Even at heartlands mall (i.e. Pasir ris)

OddEye

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately don't have much company listed that every Singaporean will sure have to spend on them frequently in their lives. I could only think of SMRT, Comfort and SBS transit

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ah yes. I don't mean the foodcourt operator. I meant the kopitiam lookalike. Toastbox! Grrr... sorry for the mixup!

tradesec

Reaction score
Can breadtalk be replaced easily? I don't think they have an edge now. I haven't read their chart though. It might tell a different story.

OddEye

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can breadtalk be replaced easily? I don't think they have an edge now. I haven't read their chart though. It might tell a different story.

Breadtalk focuses mostly on premium markets and has quite a number of competitors. So they are more sensitive to market conditions compared to consumer stocks

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately don't have much company listed that every Singaporean will sure have to spend on them frequently in their lives. I could only think of SMRT, Comfort and SBS transit
but look at the beating these stocks have taken over the last 2 years :s22:

Some-one

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

but look at the beating these stocks have taken over the last 2 years :s22:

A company for which "every Singaporeans will need to spend" need not necessary be the best company for investment. On the contrary, it is precisely because every Singaporeans need to spend on it that it is not a good company to invest.

Such companies would be highly regulated by the government (since everyone needs to use it), resulting in the company not operating at the maximum profit.

A good investment should be one which people would need to use it but for which is not highly regulated (e.g. oil and gas) since the price of oil operates in the free market.

UncleMao

Reaction score
F&B very competitive unless u have some wonderful exotic food inventions.... pastry and flour-based food are common and easy to mass-make.

FoodieFC

Reaction score

I wun buy Kopitiam stock.

Look at Food Junction stock and financial statement. It has been doing badly for sometime. They can't keep operating expenses in check

reading

Reaction score
At one period, I thought of investing in Breadtalk too. Look at the queue at Ding Tai fung... and the bread is so expensive and people still buy them... I really don't understand why people will pay more than $1.50 for one floss bread.

Logically, it take more effect for them to make a bread - need to employ one baker, one counter staff to pack your bread, another cashier to collect your money when you pay for it... all these are cost... Perhaps all the money earned went to the pockets of the staffs..

The stock price has came down quite a bit and I really wonder if it will bound back as Breadtalk faced a lot of competition. What they are marketing can be copied easily.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.