pekipom's workout log (restarting my gym workouts)

frostbyte88

Reaction score
Gratz on the OHP PR :) Keep it up!

If youre worried about your legs, there are a few options you can consider. One is to wear track pants, another is to wear knee high socks(soccer socks would prolly be okay too).

Personally, i've been meaning to wear socks but i keep forgetting on deadlift days. haha. Especially cause my legs are quite hairy, everytime the bar scrapes my shins, it never fails to pluck out some hair as well :( to the extent that there's sort of a visible line in the middle of my shins where there is no hair. lol

pekipom

Reaction score
going to the gym now :D hoping to complete everything as planned woooOO!!!!!!!

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
Careful with pushing squats. It is very easy to unconsciously go less and less deep on a squat just to hit a PR.

pekipom

Reaction score
Careful with pushing squats. It is very easy to unconsciously go less and less deep on a squat just to hit a PR.

noted;) it happened to me last year when I was still completely new to squatting. I do make sure that I do at least parallel squats. think I wouldn't be able to do ATG though...

wahhh. so good you reaching 2x bw squat already.:(

haha think it will be some time before I hit 2x bw. I've reached the stage where I start stalling on almost every session. you can do it too!

frostbyte88

Reaction score
For OHP, usually i'll pause at the top, It feels better and i wont be stuck at the bottom.

What shrugs are you doing btw? Ive been doing Power Shrugs and it's been great so far + I feel like a beast whenever i do them cause i get to lift like 150kgs rawr! lol

pekipom

Reaction score
For OHP, usually i'll pause at the top, It feels better and i wont be stuck at the bottom.

What shrugs are you doing btw? Ive been doing Power Shrugs and it's been great so far + I feel like a beast whenever i do them cause i get to lift like 150kgs rawr! lol
I didn't know there are different types of shrugs lol... the default one I guess?

jonny_m

Reaction score
You really have a good routine for your body. Also you can try for the better instructor. It is always better to have a better instructor for the daily routine.

frostbyte88

Reaction score
I think jogging for cardiovascular health is good. Medium intensity is best on your program. I read that HIIT would count as a workout day in SL/SS programs but not very sure about this. Might have to read more into it if you intend on including HIIT. How's your weight(muscle) gain coming along? Perhaps a weekly update would be good for tracking.

pekipom

Reaction score
I think jogging for cardiovascular health is good. Medium intensity is best on your program. I read that HIIT would count as a workout day in SL/SS programs but not very sure about this. Might have to read more into it if you intend on including HIIT. How's your weight(muscle) gain coming along? Perhaps a weekly update would be good for tracking.
oh? I was intending to do HIIT twice a week. I'll do some research on it later... I'm doing it with the intention of cardio health as well as the fat burning effects (I forgot where I read it but I think I saw it on t-nation. way more effective than jogging)

anyway I did include my weight in the post =:p

17/4 55.4kg
26/5 56.5kg

so about 1kg gain in muscle (mostly I suppose since I don't notice a huge gain in fats and my physique is definitely more muscular.. i.e bigger chest and more noticeable arms) i prefer to hop onto the scale once every ~2-4 weeks as the change will be more significant

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For HIIT, u really need to listen to yr body. If u do HITT on 1 day then the next day, u don't feel 100% in yr lifts, then it's affecting yr CNS. On the other hand, if you can still improve on yr lifts then by all means carry on with HITT... Do it until u feel yr CNS is taking a hit..

pekipom

Reaction score
For HIIT, u really need to listen to yr body. If u do HITT on 1 day then the next day, u don't feel 100% in yr lifts, then it's affecting yr CNS. On the other hand, if you can still improve on yr lifts then by all means carry on with HITT... Do it until u feel yr CNS is taking a hit..
thanks for the tips uncle chay.. do you think that starting cardio work after a long period of inactivity could also carry over to my gym days? cos I really felt like crap ytd despite having only jogged for 15min the night before..

ROCKET LAUNCHER

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i never mixed running training with legs training. its one or the other. i decided to focus on running because i suck balls at running at in terms of development my quads actually don't look too shabby

not a good idea to go heavy on deadlifts as well

then again, BMT will provide you with enough running training. i have friends who went from a 15min 2.4 to a 12.20 (borderline pass) wholly thru bmt training.

you be the judge

:)

:(

xerref

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try fartleks? The intervals will break up the monotony and you won't feel so "stressed" to make it "HIIT".
I used to hate running, but after a while I realise that once start the run I will always end up enjoying it.

pekipom

Reaction score
I just googled it and it sounds pretty much the same as HIIT... or is it just a less intense form? i.e instead of going all out and sprinting you just run relatively fast?

@rocket: so what you're saying is that it's one or the other: HIIT or legs? but if I'm not wrong, sprinters can manage both pretty well because they are utilizing fast twitch muscle fibers... I know of a guy from my school's track&field who is pretty f*ckin huge and can run like the wind

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips uncle chay.. do you think that starting cardio work after a long period of inactivity could also carry over to my gym days? cos I really felt like crap ytd despite having only jogged for 15min the night before..

naturally lah... just like if u lay off weights, say for a couple of weeks, you'll loose some strength & muscles. Same thing for cardio, whether it's HIIT or slow cardio. Once you lay off for a period, start small & slow again.

Again this is where learning to listen to your body is very important; some ppl can train weight train 1 day & do cardio on another w/o any problems; others can't. We're all very different so if you want to do cardio but find that it eats into your strength training workouts the next day, my suggestion would be to do your strength workouts 1st, rest for a while, say 15 min or so then do your cardio work be it HIIT or slow cardio... that way, u have a full day of rest the next day...

Stimulate but don't annihilate... that's the key to progression.

ROCKET LAUNCHER

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sprinting is in bursts. you can't sprint a 2.4km run unless you're captain america or genetically deformed in some manner

on the plus side, sprinting does help develop the legs to an extent and builds a good base of stamina at the same time. squats do the rest: hypertrophy, strength and all. whats important is that recovery is there.

:)

:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.