Service/Repair for a gameboy colour in singapore?

timothee

Reaction score
Hey there,

(sorry, I don't know if this is an appropriate post for this forum, first time posting)

I opened my trusted gameboy color box today for the first time in, like, 8 years, to unfortunately find the screen wrinkled and somewhat cracked. I'm not sure how that happened, perhaps the container dropped over the years and no one noticed the damage, or the heat of Singapore got the better of it.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the unit is fully functional. It powers on fine, the power led is bright red, I hear the boot up "ta-ding". I can also see some movements on the few pixels of the screen which are not dead and I can hear game music. So basically... I just need a new screen.

I went to 3 game shops in simlim where the shop keepers tried their best to not laugh in my face when I told them I wanted to repair the unit. "did you mean a DS?" "no, a gameboy color" "that's old" "I know" "like more than 10 years" "I know" (my unit is from 1999)

Well so these guys can't help me, but I figure that if there is a vintage repair service shop somewhere in Singapore, you guys at HWZ would know about it. So if you do, please pass me the details, I'd very much appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance,
Tim

PS: In case anyone's wondering why I still want my gameboy. Nintendo builds things like tanks, I always assumed it's survive time and that I'd be able to pass it to my kids someday. Well, my son turned 5 and I think he could have a game of super mario land on this. I'm very disappointed it's not working :/

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can always look for second handed game boys on ebay

memories

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea, buying one from ebay or from others is cheaper than repairing (if any), cos e replacement screen still needs to come from another gbc. I also wanted to repair my gameboy pocket screen, but bought one gbc from ebay instead, cost me lik 40sgd with shipping, which i think is cheap.

timothee

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

I was hoping I'd be able to service this one unit because it has some sentimental value as well: it's been given to me by my then girlfriend, now wife and mother of my kids :)

But anyway, it looks, like it's doomed. So I'll follow your advice and browse ebay and/or contact TanAhKhow and enenyi.

Thanks all.
Tim.

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

I was hoping I'd be able to service this one unit because it has some sentimental value as well: it's been given to me by my then girlfriend, now wife and mother of my kids :)

But anyway, it looks, like it's doomed. So I'll follow your advice and browse ebay and/or contact TanAhKhow and enenyi.

Thanks all.
Tim.

well den u can buy one n transfer e screen over :)

cKm

Reaction score
I know seow choon games does repair. Maybe can ask them?

redstone

Banned
Reaction score
I know seow choon games does repair. Maybe can ask them?

yea, buying one from ebay or from others is cheaper than repairing (if any), cos e replacement screen still needs to come from another gbc. I also wanted to repair my gameboy pocket screen, but bought one gbc from ebay instead, cost me lik 40sgd with shipping, which i think is cheap.

try buying one faulty gbc from forum like hardwarezone, sg forum,flowerpod n etc will be cheaper & better since u just need 2 transfer e screen over.

GAMEBOY COLOR

SPOILT ONE - $5
warning: everything doesnt work. and there's no battery cover.

Selling two Gameboy Color, one button spoiled, one all still working.
45406488.jpg

Green Gameboy Color:
- Able to switch on power
- Able to read game
- Volume is fine
- 'A' button spoiled
- Start button slightly spoiled, press it hard down and it still can work

Price: $30

IMG_0130.jpg

Gameboy not working condition.Can't be used.I might as well sell it to those who want it and the pokemon games too.

Last edited:

Dedajaz

Reaction score
Hey timothee, i'm having the same problem with my gameboy color. Possible to share whether you got it fixed?

feelslikedance

Reaction score
Bumping a really old thread because I have the same problem.

I finally took out my GBC after a few months and was horrified to see the warped/wrinkled screen. I heard siew choon games has closed down so are there any other places to get my GBC repaired? I don't wanna buy another one because this one is of sentimental value - it was the first console my parents ever bought for me. :(

liewhl

Reaction score

I finally took out my GBC after a few months and was horrified to see the warped/wrinkled screen. I heard siew choon games has closed down so are there any other places to get my GBC repaired? I don't wanna buy another one because this one is of sentimental value - it was the first console my parents ever bought for me. :(

if you want to fix it, i guess you need to buy a second hand unit on ebay or third party china part from online alibaba to replace whatever part you had spoil. this is how people are fixing it online and oversea nowadays to keep their retro unit alive.

mib500

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

(sorry, I don't know if this is an appropriate post for this forum, first time posting)

I opened my trusted gameboy color box today for the first time in, like, 8 years, to unfortunately find the screen wrinkled and somewhat cracked. I'm not sure how that happened, perhaps the container dropped over the years and no one noticed the damage, or the heat of Singapore got the better of it.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the unit is fully functional. It powers on fine, the power led is bright red, I hear the boot up "ta-ding". I can also see some movements on the few pixels of the screen which are not dead and I can hear game music. So basically... I just need a new screen.

I went to 3 game shops in simlim where the shop keepers tried their best to not laugh in my face when I told them I wanted to repair the unit. "did you mean a DS?" "no, a gameboy color" "that's old" "I know" "like more than 10 years" "I know" (my unit is from 1999)

Well so these guys can't help me, but I figure that if there is a vintage repair service shop somewhere in Singapore, you guys at HWZ would know about it. So if you do, please pass me the details, I'd very much appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance,
Tim

PS: In case anyone's wondering why I still want my gameboy. Nintendo builds things like tanks, I always assumed it's survive time and that I'd be able to pass it to my kids someday. Well, my son turned 5 and I think he could have a game of super mario land on this. I'm very disappointed it's not working :/

wah seriously you still keep it... i love it to... but now day can play at smartphone already... way better...

dustychelsea

Suspended
Reaction score

hope u can sell yr faulty gbc as I require yr other spare parts to fix my gbc as well

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.