Vpost? Borderlinx? Comgateway?

kayden

Reaction score
but that's assuming everyone uses borderlinx right? having the independence of choosing a concierge service that is different from shipping service might be helpful.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but that's assuming everyone uses borderlinx right? having the independence of choosing a concierge service that is different from shipping service might be helpful.

It's quite hard to beat free; from the forwarder that also appears to be the cheapest. If you plan to be independent from the forwarders, then you would introduce an additional ground shipping cost for your service (to get the item bought from you, to the forwarder...); due to fraud, most merchants who won't accept foreign credit cards, will also not ship to an address different from the paying credit card.

Borderlinx cost for shipping a 10lbs package (Standard): USD41.86
CGW cost for shipping the same package (Standard, non-prime): USD42.20
vPost cost for shipping the same package: SGD54.76 (~USD42.56 at current exchange rate).
MyUS cost for the same package (Standard): USD89.46 (I would also avoid them, for their habit of spamming HWZ).

The only time a 'buy for me' service is required, is if the merchant doesn't accept foreign credit cards; most people now have friends in the US who can act as the middleman w/o too much trouble. Your second hurdle offering a buy service, is having to mark up the buy price by at least 4% to cover your fees for receiving payment for it.

A far more *useful* service instead, would be if you could efficiently re-pack multiple shipments into a single box. I would personally value such a service around USD20 to combine 3 boxes into one, and perhaps another $1 for each additional box (eg: You would charge $26 to re-pack a shipment of 6 boxes into a single, strong and sturdy box). Your overheads includes having to receive (and store) multiple shipments until all boxes are in; and having good packing boxes of various sizes in stock, as well as tape and padding material as required. Such a service would be disadvantage if it isn't based in a tax-free state.

However, there are a number of good reason why none of the forwarding companies provide such a service. You might like to consult your lawyer for some of the details. Aside from the potential legal issues, it's also labor intensive, time sensitive (customers want their shipments repacked and forwarded quickly), and it can be very difficult to manage internal theft.

How CGW deals with this, is with their CGW$, which gives the illusion of a discount, that promotes frequent buying, rather than infrequent 'large buys'. This discount is probably offset by how they round up the weight of each individual package instead of the entire shipment.

Last edited:

maritime

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently a student from Singapore studying in the US, and am back in Singapore brainstorming ideas for a small startup. From the posts above, I have gathered that some opportunities lie for me to build a credible competitor in the area of concierge services--much like CGW's buyforme--that will make it cheaper for Singaporeans to buy products on websites that require a US billing address.

However, I will need suggestions and feedback from people who frequently shop online in US marketplaces to produce a consumer-centric business model.

There are mainly 2 points I would seek feedback/suggestion on:

1. How much would you pay for such services? Does CGW charge 10% in USD?
2. How would you prefer to send your orders to a concierge service? I was thinking screenshots for now, until I have enough capital to employ someone who could do it over screenshare in real time.

Thanks for your valuable feedback! It will go a long way in making online shopping cheaper for Singaporeans:)

CGW only charge 5% for their buyforme service. I will probably use your service if:

1. You charge the same amount as CGW
2. Operate during weekends and holidays. CGW doesn't, so I'm not able to purchase weekend / holiday only deals.
3. Fast. It might take CGW up to 1-2 business days for an order to be processed. Sometimes promotion is valid only for 24 hours.

Packages are to be sent direct to Comgateway to avoid additional shipping fees. I am really interested if you can offer this service. Thanks.

tingyuan

Master Member
Reaction score
Borderlinx don't have consolidation parcels right? Cos i have 2 parcels awaiting to ship. When i click both to ship, total shipping cost with tax more than (1 parcel's shipping cost + 1 shipping cost). If ship both parcel, value more than s$400
I don't see any consolidation parcels option?

Current any borderlinx discount code? Will cs give us discount code?

tingyuan

Master Member
Reaction score

If u in usa can help me bring 1-2 items to sungapore? Can pay u ship cost?

laeticia

Reaction score
are there any discount codes for borderlessbuys?

Shipping quite ex since I cannot consolidate my package as total amount higher than S$400 and will get charged tax. Didn't realise its per total shipment and not per package (as I am used to vPost) so had my package waiting at the US warehouse for 2 weeks for nothing :( vol weight is 8kg, actual weight 2.8kg and there is no repacking option

kayden

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Well, i think there are a lot of obstacles involved in beating the established companies in the field of shipping, as there are additional regulations such as taxes and items that cannot be shipped to take care of. For the moment, I think i'd be more interested in a starting a buy for me service for CGW customers probably--where it currently charges 5%.

For CGW, when you use the Buy for me service, how is the exchange rate calculated? Do you end up paying more than 5% because of exchange rate conversions?

maritime--I believe i should be able to meet your needs. Have sent you a PM.
tingyuan--I'm currently in Singapore for my summer break, so I can't help you with that. sorry!

Last edited:

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes. I just tried them last month....let me give a reivew
Bro, you can try since they give $15 discount for first use..
I end up paying about only $10 sing for DHL express shipping for a 1.8 lbs item! LOL :s12: (original price i was quoted for about $25 sing), somemore you have i think 2 weeks to consolidate more items? really good.. I earn!!!

Ship on 10 may, reached on 13 May Sunday (with tracking),
the best thing is that they have local team in singapore, they called me up to arrange an appointment to delivery to me once reached singapore (unlike vpost) so I can arrange for someone to be at home... Courier came on time, package arrived without surprises.

anyway I have shipped more stuff (slightly more expensive stuff) on this coming 10th to enjoy another promotion of theirs... hope they are consistent in their services ! :D will update if you want...

you should try while the discount is still valid... LOL

Would be great if you keep the update up~ :s12:

Thanks! actually I have ordered by my items went to Back order on Amazon as it was OOS! :s13: Well i was sourcing for good deals from Amazon thus items sold out so fast. =D

I will try Priority Tag for now, seems a good deal. =D Will post my review once I get my item~

will go back to CGW if there is changes since I am using AMEX for CGW and getting a good deal there~

silverx

Reaction score
Can someone help me with this quick question.

When asked to declare value for our goods for Comgateway, is it in SGD or in USD??

Thanks in advance!

chaitea

Reaction score
Borderlinx delivered wrong items

Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced Borderlinx delivering the wrong items? How did you resolve that?

I had used Borderlinx a few times over the years, and so far so good... until now. I have just received a delivery today - 3 separate packages from different merchants. The biggest box (supposed to be from Amazon) seemed to have been opened and re-packed (not in Amazon-branded box anymore), and when I opened it, it's a total mess inside - a clear plastic bag with several small bottles of leaking body lotion, totally not what I ordered at all. My items are supposed to be a book and a baking tool. The Amazon invoice on the box is correct, just that nothing in the box matches the invoice.

I am very frustrated and just sent Borderlinx CS an email (no live chat available on Sundays). Was wondering if anyone has a similar experience before? Any advice?

Thanks.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced Borderlinx delivering the wrong items? How did you resolve that?

I had used Borderlinx a few times over the years, and so far so good... until now. I have just received a delivery today - 3 separate packages from different merchants. The biggest box (supposed to be from Amazon) seemed to have been opened and re-packed (not in Amazon-branded box anymore), and when I opened it, it's a total mess inside - a clear plastic bag with several small bottles of leaking body lotion, totally not what I ordered at all. My items are supposed to be a book and a baking tool. The Amazon invoice on the box is correct, just that nothing in the box matches the invoice.

I am very frustrated and just sent Borderlinx CS an email (no live chat available on Sundays). Was wondering if anyone has a similar experience before? Any advice?

Thanks.
Chances are BDL will want you to check with the merchant first. And chances are Amazon will give you a refund once you check with them, even though there is no way to ascertain who is at fault. Amazon's customer service is pretty good.

cquey

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone know which of the 3 provide concierge service to buy from armani exchange?

thanks

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Borderlinx don't have consolidation parcels right? Cos i have 2 parcels awaiting to ship. When i click both to ship, total shipping cost with tax more than (1 parcel's shipping cost + 1 shipping cost). If ship both parcel, value more than s$400
I don't see any consolidation parcels option?

Current any borderlinx discount code? Will cs give us discount code?

u can combine or consolidate what
but its what others r doing also. u have 2 boxes, u consolidate these 2 boxes n ship as 2 boxes in 1 delivery. not open up n combine into 1 box. no one does that

and if both more than 400 including shipping u have to pay tax

jazdrive

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Usual crap from vPost. They are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. Let me relate my recent experience to you:

1. Paid for shipment on the 6th of June.
2. Deliveries came on the 13th and 14th of June (yes, they came in batches for the same shipment), then no news from them anymore despite one package was still missing.
3. Made numerous complains to them, one of them over the phone to a very incoherent pinoy CSO with his atrocious accent and others being emails receiving template replies (from pinoy CSOs as well). No solution even after 4 days. No more reply anymore since then.
4. The long awaited delivery finally came only on the 19th of June, some 2 weeks after the initial payment for the shipment.
5. No follow up from vPost to me at all on their horrendous service rendered and no attempt to make up for that sort of mediocrity in any way.

That was what I got from using their service after a long hiatus. The main reason I used them was because the total value of all my purchases this time round would be GST exempted only if I used their service. On hindsight, perhaps I should have allow myself to be charged GST by using another much more efficient forwarder.

I would advise anyone not to use vPost at all after my latest experience with them, unless you wanna deal with a whole bunch of incompetent people dealing with your purchases.

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
I should have known better than to use Vpost again. I have been using CGW for a no. of shipments but for this recent shipment, i had no alternative as CGW's shipping address was blacklisted by the merchant. :(

maritime

Reaction score
For CGW, when you use the Buy for me service, how is the exchange rate calculated?

I usually use paypal's / the bank's exchange rate.

Usual crap from vPost. They are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. Let me relate my recent experience to you:

1. Paid for shipment on the 6th of June.
2. Deliveries came on the 13th and 14th of June (yes, they came in batches for the same shipment), then no news from them anymore despite one package was still missing.
3. Made numerous complains to them, one of them over the phone to a very incoherent pinoy CSO with his atrocious accent and others being emails receiving template replies (from pinoy CSOs as well). No solution even after 4 days. No more reply anymore since then.
4. The long awaited delivery finally came only on the 19th of June, some 2 weeks after the initial payment for the shipment.
5. No follow up from vPost to me at all on their horrendous service rendered and no attempt to make up for that sort of mediocrity in any way.

That was what I got from using their service after a long hiatus. The main reason I used them was because the total value of all my purchases this time round would be GST exempted only if I used their service. On hindsight, perhaps I should have allow myself to be charged GST by using another much more efficient forwarder.

I would advise anyone not to use vPost at all after my latest experience with them, unless you wanna deal with a whole bunch of incompetent people dealing with your purchases.

I've used DHL (CGW) and they sometimes split shipments too into batches. Regarding the delivery speed of the first 2 parcels, it is actually comparable to comgateway standard service. In terms of no follow up regarding the package, that is what worries me too about vpost since their online tracking is not real time.

twinkyrain

Reaction score
To me i choose vpost. Sooo much cheaper. CGW overcharged like mad. Had 4 package weighing (actual & vol): 0.15, 0.54, 0.49 and 0.17kg. But they charged me 0.5, 1, 0.5 and 0.5 kg. Which means they charged me 2.5kg but the actual weigh of my stuff is only 1.35kg. They over charged me by 1 kg meaning I have to pay extra ~USD$5++. Whereelse if you use vpost the min charge is 0.5kg and after that they charge by 0.1kg. And they always have 15%. $20 off for first time customer. Cheap and good. Used all the time but ichy backside go change to CGW.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.