learning japanese

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
hmmm i m actually one of the top students of my bunka class, but my class standard really is not high imho, so i wont pride myself on being the top few. kinda like top of not-good, btm of good? so i cant really judge where my level is...

of cos, the long term goal is being able to converse well. but to converse well u need the grammar and vocab bkgrd too right?

short term goal would be to be able to pass jlpt n4 in dec. like usually ppl is able to pass after completion of intermediate 1-4, but that would take like a year? while I am looking at passing with around 5mths of study. possible? or i aim too high?

so in a nut shell, would be looking for a sch that would be able to prepare me for the n4 exam in dec.

or private lesson better? haha.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the way you say it, it seems like your main goal is passing the exam, not really wanting to converse. I am sure you know better than me that Bunka focuses more on grammar as compared to vocabulary.

If you really want, you can contact me for a free level check, to see where is your current standard. Hopefully i would be able to advise you a good school.

5 months of study is DEFINITELY not enough, unless u do extra self study using a N4 grammar reference book, but then again, it really sounds to me that you are taking it to pass the exam... not to really want to converse, cos you seem like you are rushing into doing the exam.

You need to get ur goals right. Exam is one thing. Conversation is another. What's the use of having a JLPT N1 cert, but cannot speak?

Throughout my 5 yrs in teaching Japanese, i can assure you that unless you get what you want straight, if not, you might end up wasting more money than what you should... Also, talk to your friends, your peers in the class who know you better. They would know you better and be able to advise you appropriately.

がんばってください!

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all~

For intermediate, Bunka or Ikoma better?
Read that Bunka's focus is on writing and grammar while Ikoma's is on conversation. True?

Initially intended to jump to Ikoma for intermediate. But then think maybe stay with Bunka for intermediate to build up writing and grammar then jump to Ikoma for Pre-advanced. Would that be better? Need some advice...

Me just completed elementary at Bunka. Taking N5 this july. Planning to take N4 this Dec. Which sch would better prepare me for N4?

TIA~

Personally, IKOMA focus is not really on conversation but a balanced approach towards writing, grammar, listening and conversation.

If your aim is to get certification, I would recommend you to stay at BUNKA till you get N4 before joining IKOMA for Pre-Advanced.

If your aim is proficiency, I would recommend you to join IKOMA after your N5 paper.

Good Luck!
:D

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
haha. no lah. long term aim is still proficiency.

why i saying i want to pass exam in 5mths is cos initially i wanted to take n4 this july de, but then decided to play safe, so take n5 instead, and n4 in dec.

the thing abt exam is it is only twice a yr, and i dun really want to w8 another 1 more yr to take n4 when I can take it this yr.

n5 results when would be out?

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
hmmm then july de prob sept results out?

hmmmm try try bah. if dun try wont ever know ;) worse if fail then take july de nxt yr. lolx.

yar understand that. i dun like to rush into things unprepared too. thanks =)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm then july de prob sept results out?

hmmmm try try bah. if dun try wont ever know ;) worse if fail then take july de nxt yr. lolx.

yar understand that. i dun like to rush into things unprepared too. thanks =)
yes, if u use the password system, 1st or 2nd week should be out.
N4 exam fees increased, now it's $57... if you can afford, by all means. (^_^)

alicia94

Reaction score
hmmm i m actually one of the top students of my bunka class, but my class standard really is not high imho, so i wont pride myself on being the top few. kinda like top of not-good, btm of good? so i cant really judge where my level is...

of cos, the long term goal is being able to converse well. but to converse well u need the grammar and vocab bkgrd too right?

short term goal would be to be able to pass jlpt n4 in dec. like usually ppl is able to pass after completion of intermediate 1-4, but that would take like a year? while I am looking at passing with around 5mths of study. possible? or i aim too high?

so in a nut shell, would be looking for a sch that would be able to prepare me for the n4 exam in dec.

or private lesson better? haha.

At Bunka, it really depends on the teacher of that class. I don't know about the newer teachers but i think it would be better to choose a female teacher's class cos 2 out of four of the male teachers (excluding kobayashi cos idk abt him) are really weird. As for the other 2, one talks and teaches really fast but if you can cope, he can be quite funny while the other one talks too much for you to learn anything You may want to consider taking Ms Yamamoto's class. I think she can teach pretty well and her class had been quite fun. According to my friend, Ms Namba is quite ok also.
Taking Bunka's intermediate lesson is not enough to pass N4. It takes a lot of self-studying especially on vocabulary. For Grammar, Bunka covers about 90% only so the remaining 10% you have to take prep class to learn.

Last edited:

tatz87

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new around here.. was wondering where is the best place to learn Jap.. I'm more interested to learn for conversational reasons.

manwindu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
same here, wanna learn for conversational purposes as i am thinking of a culinary trip there in the future, and also for gaming purposes as im frustrated at the lack of english translated games :)

any places to recommend other than CCs?

zazawa

Master Member
Reaction score
I finally finished my E1 at hougang jap school. However, due to NS i cant go for the 5 month E2, may i know what book should i continue to self study with?
E1 uses Nihongo no kiso 1, but i cant seems to find Nihongo no kiso 2 at popular book store near my house. Does anyone have recommendation?

Additionally, I happen to find similar book "Shin Nihongo no kiso 2" online, it is a little different from the ninhongo no kiso right?

solarwings

Reaction score
@zazawa
You can try Kinokuniya. I believe Shin Nihongo no Kiso is based on Nihongo no Kiso. However, Nihongo no Kiso may be hard to find.
On page 496 of this thread, poster xiaogoupi says Nihongo no Kiso is out of print:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/other-academic-concerns-69/learning-japanese-1133057-496.html
Minna no Nihongo can be a good alternative for self learning. I used it when I first started learning seriously.

In the JLPT score comparison thing here http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/comparison02.pdf
It says 'scaled score'. Does it mean they take into account everyone's scores and then apply bell curve?
JLPT is next week and I am so nervous...
I'll post my Japanese learning journey after JLPT.

Gonna get japanese Pokemon Black 2 soon~ Can switch to kanji version, so it's a good way to practice reading :s13:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

zazawa

Master Member
Reaction score
@zazawa
You can try Kinokuniya. I believe Shin Nihongo no Kiso is based on Nihongo no Kiso. However, Nihongo no Kiso may be hard to find.
On page 496 of this thread, poster xiaogoupi says Nihongo no Kiso is out of print:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/other-academic-concerns-69/learning-japanese-1133057-496.html
Minna no Nihongo can be a good alternative for self learning. I used it when I first started learning seriously.

In the JLPT score comparison thing here http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/comparison02.pdf
It says 'scaled score'. Does it mean they take into account everyone's scores and then apply bell curve?
JLPT is next week and I am so nervous...
I'll post my Japanese learning journey after JLPT.

Gonna get japanese Pokemon Black 2 soon~ Can switch to kanji version, so it's a good way to practice reading :s13:

thank you for your input, will go down to kino to take a look.

Shin Nihongo no kiso dont have vocab list? because the one i found don't have but the CD playback consist of some vocab... and there is no english translation :/

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you for your input, will go down to kino to take a look.

Shin Nihongo no kiso dont have vocab list? because the one i found don't have but the CD playback consist of some vocab... and there is no english translation :/
yes, don't have vocab list, or u wanna borrow my nihongo no kiso?
Happen to be your "senpai" here. :p

zazawa

Master Member
Reaction score
yes, don't have vocab list, or u wanna borrow my nihongo no kiso?
Happen to be your "senpai" here. :p

Wah thanks!
i have the nihongo no kiso 1 TB(re-printed and binded by the school) , but i do not have the nihongo no kiso 2, does the Nihongo no kiso 2 have same english translation and vocab list as nihongo no kiso 1?

zane80

Reaction score
Japanese Electronic Dictionary

I have just ordered the Casio XD D6500 Red electronic dictionary but suddenly, I spotted the Sharp PW-A7200-T Brown dictionary and it looks more gorgeous. Both are similarly priced. However, it seemed that the Sharp one is more gorgeous. If you have to choose only 1, which is better? Unless one has much better features than the other.

Of course the features are more impt that the colors but aesthetic is very important to me.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Casio has always been better than the sharp. More user friendly. and ability to add on more dictionaries via purchase of additional software

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.