Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend?

Poshua

Reaction score
Hi Poshua,

I went to crown just 2 weeks ago, at a start also did 1 pant and 1 shirt only to test workmanship. My 1st fitting was already perfect with no alteration so I made another pants. I gave them quite a few instructions to do as well. They did it accordingly and good. Now can only see it the shirt and pants last.

Hmmm... I also saw some of them having similar experience with you. Is it a heng suay thing?

Others also had same experience? I thought I'm the only one. Who did your measurements?

tenz1204

Reaction score
A soft spoken guy did the measurement, I didn't catch his name. Mana was around but was busy with calls. Then an older man came to take over.

For fitting, it is the soft spoken guy.

grantt

Reaction score
A soft spoken guy did the measurement, I didn't catch his name. Mana was around but was busy with calls. Then an older man came to take over.

For fitting, it is the soft spoken guy.

I usually have mana chatting to me and then lop measuring and doing my fitting for me, which has always worked out pretty well. Seems like the same, regardless of who measures me since i've seen these same people as Crown year in and year out when i visit!

Poshua

Reaction score
I usually have mana chatting to me and then lop measuring and doing my fitting for me, which has always worked out pretty well. Seems like the same, regardless of who measures me since i've seen these same people as Crown year in and year out when i visit!

Good you had yours well, mine wasn't until I visited Tanika who got everything right. I've never worn such a perfect shirt before. There's a huge difference when I put it on. It blends into my body slim fit without feeling any discomfort. I don't know how they do it but it's even more solid than my sample shirt which I bought from Korea. Although I paid a much higher premium, I get better quality, hand stitching and superior service.

I wanted to try Narin Couture initially but he said my 5 days trip here was not sufficient for him to produce the shirts in time (furthermore it's near weekend and Sunday is off). I was advised to best start on Monday and they need minimum 3 pieces to start. I don't know why but I had this feeling the Thai Chinese does a better job in terms of QC and listening to customer needs. I can see they take pride in quality and rather reject you than not doing a good job.

I also gave a shot at our famous Jhasper Fashion with their top tier 1,200 baht shirt. First fitting, the measurement was wrong with wider shoulders and larger armpit holes. They're using single seam for the underside sleeves as compared to Crown and Tanika (Double). I requested to change but they can only alter the armpit holes tighter. Service from the wife is not as friendly as the husband although both are very professional and not pushy. She told me if I want double stitching, I should have mentioned earlier and they can't do anything to alter the shoulders. Actually I couldn't be bothered much because my heart is set for Tanika..

Tanika's quality and texture of the shirt when it lays on my body felt so soft and pleasing. The pants hugs subtly and look sharp as compared to Crowns. I suspect it was bespoke because on the first fitting at Tanika, my pants looked raw without pockets, belt loops and there were strings attached to it. I asked to taper it more and they slide the pins one by one ensuring I have the closest look that I want. They are very patient and even a fraction of inch matters to them. To be honest, I'm really fascinated by their detailed measurements and attitude which is probably why the clothes turn out like it was specially molded for me. My confidence aura illuminate instantly.

I ended up there with 7 shirts, 2 pants and a suit. Yes, I spent more than 1k there on my first visit and I was really happy I found the one (out of 3). There's still a few more I would want to try on next visit - Tailor on 10, Milan Suit and Pinky.

I'm now waiting for my suit to be delivered to Singapore as they need at least 2 weeks. This is quality I trust and I hope I won't be disappointed.

I just want to add, there're different categories of shoppers. Some look for the cheapest, some are new to tailoring and as for me, I now pursue quality, workmanship and value for money. The cost of each shirt is like paying the price of Zara but you get a Prada custom made shirt.

Last edited:

kendecorp

Reaction score
Terrible experience

Hi all,

After reading these threads, i finally decided to go crown to make my shirts. My experience was terrible. I thought i was a very cautious buyer. Turn out i got con. what happened was, i went to crown tailor to make 2 shirts. I kept asking the guy who is older, abit plump if the material i choose is 2 ply. He told me it is 2 ply for both shirts.

When i went on monday 9/7/12 to try my shirt, initially i was quite pleased with the 1st shirt made and the material seems ok just that i need to alter the sleeves. I asked to try another shirt which i have purchased and he told me it will be ready by 8 pm. To cut the long story short, i went to collect my shirts at 8 pm and to my astonishment, when i went to the fitting room to try the pink shirt which i have made, i could literally see my nipples!!! i went to ask the guy who took my measurement why the material is so thin?!

He told me its a single ply and in fact, all the cloths that are on display are single ply except 2 shelves which are clearly stated as the premium material.

Honestly, i wanted to reprimand him for lying to me. Guys, why would i pay 1200 baht for a single ply when i can get 2 ply in singapore for SGD$50??? its absolutely absurd and i tell myself i wouldnt want to tailor in bkk again. Its not very cheap honestly.

A fellow member "Poshua" recommended that Tanika tailor is good. When i went in to check the starting rate for the shirts, i got shocked as well. Starting rate is at 2000 baht. I was served by a elderly man. Guess he is the boss.

tenz1204

Reaction score
Hmm..when you asked him why is it 1 ply and not 2 ply as mentioned, what did he say? I understand the premium ones are the 3000 baht one. hmmmm...their English is quite good so don't think that there is any communication problem.

grantt

Reaction score
Hmm..when you asked him why is it 1 ply and not 2 ply as mentioned, what did he say? I understand the premium ones are the 3000 baht one. hmmmm...their English is quite good so don't think that there is any communication problem.

I agree with this above post. Sam/Mana etc speak excellent english and from my years of dealing with them (along with having a dozen other clients in the room), we all know that their 100% cottons are single ply unless you pay the premium. In fact - at the 1200 range, that isn't their 100% cotton. I think it's mentioned so many times in this thread as well. I am pretty certain you may have had some misunderstanding because the one thing we can all agree on is that Crown is bloody honest with their fabrics, and after having used some other tailor stores, it's good that they are!

Btw anyone made it to their tour thing? experiences?

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Btw anyone made it to their tour thing? experiences?

Was there one afternoon. Probably coz it is weekday so no pressure and relax. They are not too much into discussing on details. But spent $1K for one suit + 1 pant and 5 shirts with monographs.
Expected to get it in 4-6 weeks. Let's see the fit then.

OKCATYEON

Banned
Reaction score
Is 4 days enough for tailoring a shirt?

Staying at Intercontinental bangkok. Any recommendation for cheap and good tailor ? Thanks.

29 December 12pm Arrive bangkok ( Saturday )
30 December bangkok ( Sunday )
31 December bangkok ( Monday )
01 January bangkok ( Tuesday - flight depart bangkok at 8pm )

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Staying at Intercontinental bangkok. Any recommendation for cheap and good tailor ? Thanks.

depends ba... my friend made his formal wear at pratunam area.. around 4 to 5 days

Poshua

Reaction score
A fellow member "Poshua" recommended that Tanika tailor is good. When i went in to check the starting rate for the shirts, i got shocked as well. Starting rate is at 2000 baht. I was served by a elderly man. Guess he is the boss.

Yes, shirts start from 2,000 baht but worth every baht with workmanship and quality. Can see and feel the difference from Jhaspher and Crown once worn. You may try 1 and see as compared to Narin Coulture, they need 3 pieces to start with. I believe same standard as they have their own workers in shop to hand stitch etc..

kendecorp

Reaction score
when i was at crown tailors, Sam and Mana were in Singapore. How can there be communication problems when i explicitly asked the "plump" tailor 3 times before i placed my order if the material is 2 ply?

Grantt, i have been looking at the past threads and i know you have been highly recommending Crown for the past few years. The reason for me to sign up in this forum is to post the truth abt my experience in Crown.

It is then up to users in this forum to exercise discretion whether to make a shirt there. In my view, 1200 baht is way too exp for a single ply. You can easily get 2 ply material in Singapore for SGD $50.

If a 2 ply material needs 3000 baht to make, i might as well go CYC in Singapore to make. Much more reputable and i need not worry about the time constraint. (3 days in bkk enough time to make 3 shirts etc). I can do as many fittings as i deem fit. My opportunity cost is higher in bkk then.

Lastly, I wish to warn all users in this forum that i have this nagging thought that perhaps a small minority of users here are "hightly recommending" a particular tailor as they are paid a commission for writing good reviews. I am not targetting at any particular users but please be very prudent.

kendecorp

Reaction score
Poshua,

Around $99 for basic 100% cotton shirt and the best part is you can have a full refund if you are not completely satisfied with the shirt. I chance upon the website and they will tell you whether its a Egyptian Cotton etc. I heard afew of our ministers made their shirts there. I will be personally going to make a shirt this week and will post my review here.

Copy and paste from their website

What happens if my CYC shirt does not fit?

New clients are advised to tailor one custom-made shirt first to get the perfect fit. Subsequently, CYC is then able to replicate the same fit for additional shirts that you might like to tailor.

Should the shirt not fit well, clients in Singapore can simply return to any of the two CYC stores to get the shirt altered. However, if you still do not like the end product, you can return the shirt to us for a complete refund, as long as the shirt has not been worn.

Go to Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much does a custom made CYC shirt cost?

CYC custom made shirts start from S$99 for a basic 100% Cotton shirt and go up to S$300 and above for a shirt of 100% sea-island cotton.

Go to Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

grantt

Reaction score
kendecorp - i don't disagree with you about your experiences, but i only mentioned to you that i've known crown/sam/mana for many years now and each and every experience of mine has been great. As i also mentioned, their honesty of their fabric is also one of the key factors along with the many others that i keep going back to them, and that is essentially the reason me (along with others on this forum) question whether you misunderstood. No hard feelings as it seems you took it a little personally.

Anyways - as you mentioned, to each their own. I still enjoy my crown clothing and will continue to use their clothing/make new ones.

Lastly kendecorp, i think everyone recommends their own tailor that they are satisfied with. Look in the previous pages and you will see each user who enjoys their own tailor. The top 5 on this thread (in no particular order):

Pinky
Crown
Tailor on ten
pauls (not as much it seems anymore, but hey, it's still mentioned at times)
jhasper

Maybe it's time to do a little work and walk around and then decide where to go. This way you know what you are paying for. Any one with new experiences, please do share as well. We all look forward to new ideas.

grantt

Reaction score
Poshua,

Around $99 for basic 100% cotton shirt and the best part is you can have a full refund if you are not completely satisfied with the shirt. I chance upon the website and they will tell you whether its a Egyptian Cotton etc. I heard afew of our ministers made their shirts there. I will be personally going to make a shirt this week and will post my review here.

Copy and paste from their website

What happens if my CYC shirt does not fit?

New clients are advised to tailor one custom-made shirt first to get the perfect fit. Subsequently, CYC is then able to replicate the same fit for additional shirts that you might like to tailor.

Should the shirt not fit well, clients in Singapore can simply return to any of the two CYC stores to get the shirt altered. However, if you still do not like the end product, you can return the shirt to us for a complete refund, as long as the shirt has not been worn.

Go to Top

How much does a custom made CYC shirt cost?

CYC custom made shirts start from S$99 for a basic 100% Cotton shirt and go up to S$300 and above for a shirt of 100% sea-island cotton.

Go to Top

That's still ultimately very expensive by Asian standards. $99 for 100% cotton. Wow. Isn't this the reason we stick to Bangkok though? And damn $300 for a shirt - i do wonder what's it made of? Gold?

grantt

Reaction score

That's new years for you. Hard to find tailors open, or anything open i would say

OKCATYEON

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway, kendecorp works for CYC I think.

Look at his post counts and the posts he made.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.