How to Open a Stock Trading account in Singapore-Updated 2015

Reaction score
to subscribe (buy) to ipo and retail bond offering via atm, you need a cdp but not a brokerage account if u hv no intention to sell or have intention to transfer it to scb
to sell the ipo and retail bonds, you need a brokerage firm account which will require cdp account as well or else u can also transfer it into scb to sell.

hope im clear here..

hi dat means if i wan to buy reit dividend shares i hav to open a brokerage ac ?
n wat if e utility bill is nt under my name ?

TIA :s12:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi dat means if i wan to buy reit dividend shares i hav to open a brokerage ac ?
n wat if e utility bill is nt under my name ?

TIA :s12:

Yes, you need to have a brokerage account (cimb, kimeng, scb etc) in order to buy a reit dividend shares from the stock exchange.

It doesn't matter whether the utility bill name is under your name or not, you just need an IC to open provided you are not a foreigner without pr

Last edited:

SGRevolution

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello, newbie xdd that just turned 18 not so long ago here.
Sinkie can help me answers some of my questions?
1. Thinking of signing up either OCBC or CIMB youth programme, which would be better in terms of benefits?
2. For long term investment, would ETF or REITS or dividend stocks like Starhub provide better returns?
3. As i am planning to hold onto my investment for the long term, i will be making only a few or a single transaction, will there be fees if i dun trade much?

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hello, newbie xdd that just turned 18 not so long ago here.
Sinkie can help me answers some of my questions?
1. Thinking of signing up either OCBC or CIMB youth programme, which would be better in terms of benefits?
2. For long term investment, would ETF or REITS or dividend stocks like Starhub provide better returns?
3. As i am planning to hold onto my investment for the long term, i will be making only a few or a single transaction, will there be fees if i dun trade much?

1) I would say Cimb because of the 30% rebate for all commission and also for its low deposit for limit requirement for 21 and below. And soon Cimb will have *i heard* cash upfront of 0.18% trading and also oddlot trading (cant confirmed)

2) not necessary because of market and business cycle

3) there is no fee for inactivity, fee will only be incurred when u buy or when u sell.. Sending in order is free till the order is filled too..

Khuulz

Reaction score
Hi Sinkie can i toruble you with a few questions of mine?
Im eligible for the youth programs some of the brokerage firms are offering. But i understand that people classified as youth investors aren't allow to trade stocks from another country right? Is there a way to avoid this, like maybe i request not to be included in the youth investor program or something like that?
Reason is because I'm interested in buying shares from US markets and also US stock market indexed and intl indexes.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Sinkie can i toruble you with a few questions of mine?
Im eligible for the youth programs some of the brokerage firms are offering. But i understand that people classified as youth investors aren't allow to trade stocks from another country right? Is there a way to avoid this, like maybe i request not to be included in the youth investor program or something like that?
Reason is because I'm interested in buying shares from US markets and also US stock market indexed and intl indexes.

how old are you? below 21? then bobian, have to wait for above 21, or else u can try to trade the adr in sgx, but no liquidity and wide bid/ask spread though

credo13

Reaction score
help

hi
what is the difference between cash trading acct, margin trading acct and securities borrowing acct? i'm new to this whole thing and i just want to start buying some shares but am not sure what is the difference between these options.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi
what is the difference between cash trading acct, margin trading acct and securities borrowing acct? i'm new to this whole thing and i just want to start buying some shares but am not sure what is the difference between these options.

cash trading account = normal shares account with contra
margin trading account = a shares account using margin facilities or leveraged
securities borrowing account = leverage shares account used for borrowing shares from sgx to short the market

Khuulz

Reaction score
how old are you? below 21? then bobian, have to wait for above 21, or else u can try to trade the adr in sgx, but no liquidity and wide bid/ask spread though

I see, im below 21. So currently no ways for me to trade US stocks?
What bank/firm's youth account do you recommend? I intend to invest part of my army salary into the account, so must be one that provide dca.
Thanks!

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I see, im below 21. So currently no ways for me to trade US stocks?
What bank/firm's youth account do you recommend? I intend to invest part of my army salary into the account, so must be one that provide dca.
Thanks!

I would recommend to open both Cimb and Ocbc..

Poem account doesn't really have any differentiation for youth segment

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I see, why do you suggest opening both?

Since both brokerages gives free guide books and also Cimb has 30% commission rebates for youth accounts. And also opening and maintenance of account is free too..

Khuulz

Reaction score
Oh i see.. thanks for the info! do you know if ocbc allows dca in small amounts? cos i think cimb youth doesnt.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Oh i see.. thanks for the info! do you know if ocbc allows dca in small amounts? cos i think cimb youth doesnt.

if you are looking at DCA, i think so far only poems have it, not sure about ocbc, and yes cimb doesnt have dca.. :o

Khuulz

Reaction score
oh, damn.. alright then. Thanks! I think I will go down to both OCBC and CIMB to apply as well.
Btw, it's POEMs ordinary account with the sharebuilder feature added in right? Is it free as well? I didnt see them mentioning any charges on their website.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
oh, damn.. alright then. Thanks! I think I will go down to both OCBC and CIMB to apply as well.
Btw, it's POEMs ordinary account with the sharebuilder feature added in right? Is it free as well? I didnt see them mentioning any charges on their website.

http://www.poems.com.sg/FinancialServices/20120521SBP_Inforsheet.pdf

WHAT IS SHARE BUILDERS PLAN?
Share Builders Plan (SBP) is a regular fixed-dollar
amount investment plan, which enables you to buy
shares on a consistent and incremental basis so as to
build up a portfolio of good securities for yourselves
eventually. Therefore you do not need a huge amount
of funds to invest in blue chip counters since SBP
presents a new opportunity for you to buy odd lots at a
reduced cost.

By investing a fixed amount of funds consistently
every month over a period of time, your average cost
of shares purchased will be lower than the average
price of the shares over the same period of time. This
is possible since with the same amount of funds, you
will buy more shares when prices are low and fewer
shares when prices are high. This investment method
is known as dollar-cost-averaging, and it is especially
useful in hedging against market volatility. With such a
disciplined and consistent method, you will eventually
build up a portfolio of stocks at a lower average cost.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE?
Applicants must be at least 21 years old to open an
SBP account

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
h1muM.jpg

- There are charges for dividend recieved.
- Shares (in unit shares) are bought on every 18th of the month in regardless whether dji drop -400 or dji rise 400 the previous night at their prefered timing in regardless when sti is at +50 or -50
- only 19 shares available
- shares are deposited in poems custodian account (please call and ask)

POEMS ODD LOT Market
tiTGt.jpg

so my views is as long your monthly investment is not more than $3500, you are better off investing in odd lot market yourself since (3500 x 0.28% = $10), at least you get to choose your own price and learn on your way + no dividend charges just that you need to be very discipline to invest every month
- shares goes into cdp

Last edited:

Khuulz

Reaction score
Ohh, so you're saying I should just get a normal trading account and buy odd lots every month or whenever i like? I think the amount of money i will be able to spare per month would be around 300-500..

Last edited:

Khuulz

Reaction score
http://www.poems.com.sg/financialservices/SBPInfosheet.pdf

Share Builders Plan (SBP) is a regular fixed-dollar
amount investment plan, which enables you to buy
shares on a consistent and incremental basis so as to
build up a portfolio of good securities for yourselves
eventually. Therefore you do not need a huge amount
of funds to invest in blue chip counters since SBP
presents a new opportunity for you to buy odd lots at a
reduced cost.

By investing a fixed amount of funds consistently
every month over a period of time, your average cost
of shares purchased will be lower than the average
price of the shares over the same period of time. This
is possible since with the same amount of funds, you
will buy more shares when prices are low and fewer
shares when prices are high. This investment method
is known as dollar-cost-averaging, and it is especially
useful in hedging against market volatility. With such a
disciplined and consistent method, you will eventually
build up a portfolio of stocks at a lower average cost.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE?
Applicants must be at least 21 years old to open an
SBP account

I went to check, i think they updated the age eligibility. Now its anyone above 18. Since they're only offering 19 shares.. don't think its a good idea already haha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.