Head/earphones Recommendations Thread

silvernoy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for a headphone to connect to my ps3. Can help recommend one? I'm thinking of connect directly to the ps3.

- What type of usage - Gaming
- Headphone (closed or open)
- Other requirements (Preferably have volume control and 5.1ch)
- Budget (Below $100)

do you need a mic?
razer electra another bro said this was very comfortable, maybe you can give it a try?

haloedwin

Reaction score
Your rig - Samsung Note, iPad
- What type of usage - music
- File format used in your source - mp3
- Genre of music you listen to - Chinese Pops
- earphone type
- Other requirements - Looking for mic. Mainly looking for clarity of the music.
- Budget - 700

silvernoy

Reaction score
I don't need a mic. Thanks for the intro, I'll go take a look. But hope can find something cheaper... :o

would recommend you to head down to stereo to try it out and if you got challenger membership, can try finding it at challenger.

cheaper range of game headphones can take a look at creative, not too bad. :)
of course there are better ones just that idk of, wait for other bros to give you recommendation. :)

flee0308

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be going down to Stereo later this week, but I hope to have some suggestions first!

- Your rig (mp3 players, amps, soundcard etc): Samsung Galaxy Note, and my notebook (Sager NP5160. Has THX Audio).
- What type of usage (movies/ gaming/ music etc): Music.
- File format used in your source (i.e. flac, mp3 etc): mp3, around 192kbps. If anyone knows where I can buy jap songs at higher quality please recommend!
- Genre of music you listen to (classical, jazz, metal, etc): jrock, anime songs, techno.
- Headphone / earphone type (closed, open, cirumaural, IEM etc): closed headphones or IEM.
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc): Good build quality!
- Budget (in figures): $200

Stereo has this promotion where I can get a fisher audio FA-004 and Digizoid ZO2 @ $198. I'm considering this package, but is it worth it to get a Digizoid ZO2 (An amplifier I'm guessing?) when I read the FA-004 does not require an amp. Would it be better for me to use a higher end headphone instead?

nekatrall

Reaction score
most headphones dont require an amp but ur player or laptop dont have enough power to drive it properly so an amp is a gd idea
and the digizoid zo2 is not that big
y not try both the fa004 tgr with the zo2 if u like it i think its worth the offer price

angel99999

Master Member
Reaction score
I see lots of people here post 5.1, 7.1 headphones.
And i feel it's very misleading.

We only have a pair of ears to allow audio inside our ears.
For headphones, 2.0 is as good as full surround, slide volume imbalance left/right side and ull hear the vocals shift places.

It's only on speakers that people practice 5.1, 7.1 channels, as 2.1 speaker placed in front only creates a frontal audio representation.

Music especially comes in 2.0 by default.

boons4

Reaction score
headphones advice

Hi Guys, I am amaze. In Singapore really every man gadget and hobby also have a forum, I never expect this great threads. I have a dedicated HT room for my movies and gaming but now i only can enjoy my hobby after 11pm, hence i never expect I would need a headphone... looks like i need to start this research... Appreciate this useful thread alot and E1 bro and experts for kind advice to below: Thanks

- Your rig - onkyo amp and PC with entry soundcard

- What type of usage - mainly for PC gaming and occasional movies using amp

- File format used in your source - pc game waves file and mkv files(via amp) I guess

- Genre of music you listen to - instrumental guitar/ unplug chinese pop songs

- Headphone / earphone type - I am not so sure as I thought headphones gives the best sound compare to earphone..I don't need noise cancelling as my HT room is very quiet..I open for advice...

- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc)
- most importantly is best comfort and light for Headphones
- can do wireless, must have vol adjust knob..Preferably don't want those usb headphones. Have mic also just incase i need to chat during PC gaming.

- Budget - $150-200

I have a query whether by choosing a wireless headphone, actually the price is much more yet we lose quality compared to a wired headset? I always feel that wireless is very costly and will compromise on quality compare to a similar priced wired model? Tks.

kaltzbalger

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am amaze. In Singapore really every man gadget and hobby also have a forum, I never expect this great threads. I have a dedicated HT room for my movies and gaming but now i only can enjoy my hobby after 11pm, hence i never expect I would need a headphone... looks like i need to start this research... Appreciate this useful thread alot and E1 bro and experts for kind advice to below: Thanks

- Your rig - onkyo amp and PC with entry soundcard

- File format used in your source - pc game waves file and mkv files(via amp) I guess

- Headphone / earphone type - I am not so sure as I thought headphones gives the best sound compare to earphone..I don't need noise cancelling as my HT room is very quiet..I open for advice...

- can do wireless, must have vol adjust knob..Preferably don't want those usb headphones. Have mic also just incase i need to chat during PC gaming.

- Budget - $150-200

I have a query whether by choosing a wireless headphone, actually the price is much more yet we lose quality compared to a wired headset? I always feel that wireless is very costly and will compromise on quality compare to a similar priced wired model? Tks.

Headphones are not necessarily better sounding than earphones :) But for gaming, yes headphone is the better option. Personally I do not like wireless headphones. The tech makes them so expensive.

I have not bought any headphone for purely gaming purpose so I can't comment on how good this or that is :p

Anyway you can look here for more info abt gaming+personal listening cans:
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: Updated: 6/10/2012 (Ultrasone Pro 2900 added + many edits)

Last edited:

boons4

Reaction score
Hi Kaltz,
your link is superb thanks... Good readings. I realise you are very right I should go for wired open headphones to get the best bang for the bugs. So i amend my requirement hope more bros can help me out to suggest models. Thanks.

Your rig - onkyo amp and PC with entry soundcard

- Headphone / earphone type - Open headphones

- must have vol adjust knob..
- Dn't want those usb headphones.
- Prefer to Have mic also just incase i need to chat during PC gaming.

- Budget - $150-200

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see lots of people here post 5.1, 7.1 headphones.
And i feel it's very misleading.

We only have a pair of ears to allow audio inside our ears.
For headphones, 2.0 is as good as full surround, slide volume imbalance left/right side and ull hear the vocals shift places.

It's only on speakers that people practice 5.1, 7.1 channels, as 2.1 speaker placed in front only creates a frontal audio representation.

Music especially comes in 2.0 by default.

Most music comes in 2.0 mixed/auditioned in Studio monitors speakers and are meant for playback using 2.0 speakers, not headphones unless the music is specifically mixed by the engineers for headphone/earphone listening.

A headphone 2.0 could only approximate the same imaging and surround capability of real speakers by using HRTF(head related transfer filtering). Most modern soundcards and music player software supports HRTF using SW DSP/plugins, which in the simplest form is just a preset crossfeed. Better ones gives control over the angle and distance of sound source, head size, sound shadow loss and bass loss compensation due to biological obstruction/gain of our body to a real sound source.
For standard headphones, it gives relatively unobstructed sound directly in to the ears without compensating for those real world phenomenon, causing what was explained as in-the-head sound and smaller soundstage and poorer imaging as compared to even standard 2.0 speakers.

Depending on how the 5.1/7.1 headphones are designed, it may or may not enhance the surround/imaging experience. If it has an active/passive HRTF and eq circuit placed internally together with seperate drivers, it might actually enhanced the experience. But chances are that a good driver HRTF option or music player crossfeed plugin could achieve the same result using standard 2.0 headphones all the same.:o

ilovewhales

Reaction score
Hi guys i need a recommendation for a headphones.

Typically i travel a lot abroad in long hours flight so i prefer something with noise cancellation tech .

My source of music comes from my ipod classic , most music are AAC @ 320kbps

I currently own a tf10's IEM as well as a etymotics ER7.

Would mostly listen to modern contemporary, pop, rock as well as classical music. Thus i would prefer something without a chunk of bass.

The only recommendation i have been getting is the Bose QC 15 which is a little too steep for me and the cups are too small ):

Bojangy

Reaction score
- PC, no external soundcard / amp.
- Gaming and Skype mostly, but needs good sound quality in general
- Mostly 320kbps, but that's for music.
- Electronic and Punk/Rock
- Over-ear Headphones
- Comfortable, mic is not required, using external mic.
- Under 80.. ?

Reaction score
- PC, no external soundcard / amp.
- Gaming and Skype mostly, but needs good sound quality in general
- Mostly 320kbps, but that's for music.
- Electronic and Punk/Rock
- Over-ear Headphones
- Comfortable, mic is not required, using external mic.
- Under 80.. ?

Go and take a look at the new AKG K512mkII :D

LemonPlusTea

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need a little help.

I've owned a Crossroads Bijou and currently a Fischer Golden Wasp.

Both of these earphones died. The cable inside broke or something.. One side each of the earphones is dead ):

Any recommendations on my new set of earphones? Would be nice to keep it below 80 but have stronger(?) cables? My earphones seem to die so easily. ):

jamesanalyst

Reaction score
Hello,

Make sure you will go for earphones with nylon cloth covered on its wires, to protect the wires inside that and to last long.

Also for better performance there are many softwares available for improving the quality of the music files and then load it to the music devices, to make the listening a pleasure.

Regards,
James

Reaction score
Hi guys, need a little help.

I've owned a Crossroads Bijou and currently a Fischer Golden Wasp.

Both of these earphones died. The cable inside broke or something.. One side each of the earphones is dead ):

Any recommendations on my new set of earphones? Would be nice to keep it below 80 but have stronger(?) cables? My earphones seem to die so easily. ):

Talk about quality control, especially for the cables :D

PULLING PUSHING PLUGGING on Vimeo

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- Samsung GS2
- Movies & music
- mp3
- General
- Ear-phone/buds (no in-ears; no symmetrical Y-cables please)
- Mic (optional)
- Less than $50

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Last edited:

silvernoy

Reaction score
to make your iem last longer, most importantly would be to take care of it.

keep it in a pouch or box.
when you keep it, coil it around 3 fingers and not your player.
when removing the earpiece, dont pull on the wire but hold the housing then take it out.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.