Head/earphones Recommendations Thread

iAHBEE

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The quest for objectivity is subjective in itself. Just look at the poor response over here to the various requests. It is because of the "policing" attitude (may even be motive driven) of some self professed purists that is keeping others from recommending. If the request goes unanswered, they will just simply go to other forums.

In no time, it will be so sanitised and quiet over here. Stereo may eventually not be interested to pour further money here as there is a lack of mileages for their dollar.

I stopped posting (except for this post) ever since E1PA posted the comment below, coz even if we consider the variables that people look for it is still way easier to make recommendations based on a budget. So since I am merely making statements without due considerations of the one asking I figured I should keep my thoughts to myself. :s12::s12:

Do very much appreciate for those looking for recommendations to do it in the following format. For sifus helping out, do consider the needs of the request instead of just making statements.

- snipped-

Reaction score
I stopped posting (except for this post) ever since E1PA posted the comment below, coz even if we consider the variables that people look for it is still way easier to make recommendations based on a budget. So since I am merely making statements without due considerations of the one asking I figured I should keep my thoughts to myself. :s12::s12:

Really sorry :(

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Me too. There are more factors that I'll state below.

imho, It's up to the due diligence of the buyer to listen to advice from interested parties.

Of course, fruit sellers say their fruit is the sweetest. The buyer if still take advice wholeheartedly. Who to blame? :)

Good interpretation. Here's my opinion,

I don't think it's 'good enough' to recommend products IF the 'seller'(of the fruit store) doesn't know the taste of the 'fruit' he's selling.

Hence it's not considerable to recommend people audio gear unless you have tasted all the 'fruits'. Only those he's personally 'tasted' can be compared to the other he has tasted before.

Even better if he could let the buyer 'taste' the fruit.

Reaction score
Friendly reminder!

Do very much appreciate for those looking for recommendations to do it in the following format.

- Your rig (mp3 players, amps, soundcard etc)
- What type of usage (movies/ gaming/ music etc)
- File format used in your source (i.e. flac, mp3 etc)
- Genre of music you listen to (classical, jazz, metal, etc)
- Headphone / earphone type (closed, open, cirumaural, IEM etc)
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc)
- Budget (in figures)

kiatkiat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My rig - Nokia Lumia 900
usage - music
Format - mp3
headphone -closed/ on ear
genre - new age, folks music
Budget - around $200 +/-

Last edited:
Reaction score
My rig - Nokia Lumia 900
usage - music
Format - mp3
headphone -closed
Budget - around $200 +/-

It has been an hour and there is no recommendation yet from other forumners. Would love to suggest a couple but sadly have been the target of a hate campaign over here. Any suggestion would be deemed advertising, promotion by self appointed "Polices" of this forum.

kaltzbalger

Reaction score
It has been an hour and there is no recommendation yet from other forumners. Would love to suggest a couple but sadly have been the target of a hate campaign over here. Any suggestion would be deemed advertising, promotion by self appointed "Polices" of this forum.

Don't act like you are a bullying victim and in search of pity from other people. Frankly as someone who has a shop of audio gears you strike me as unprofessional. If your intention in opening this thread is to help and share, then why you never give that kiatkiat guy your recommendation? Yet you are crying for sympathy.

I tried to talk it subtly and nicely so that this thread can be improved without defaming. But this is getting too ridiculous. In head-fi people like you would have been perma-banned.

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My rig - Nokia Lumia 900
usage - music
Format - mp3
headphone -closed/ on ear
Budget - around $200 +/-

sennheiser px-200 II, cal! are around ears but worth a serious look

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't act like you are a bullying victim and in search of pity from other people. Frankly as someone who has a shop of audio gears you strike me as unprofessional. If your intention in opening this thread is to help and share, then why you never give that kiatkiat guy your recommendation? Yet you are crying for sympathy.

I tried to talk it subtly and nicely so that this thread can be improved without defaming. But this is getting too ridiculous. In head-fi people like you would have been perma-banned.

QFTW. Maybe you should stick to your old 'forums'. At least you don't get flamed there since you're having this mindset.

You'll be better off and at peace over there instead. :s13:

physistry

Reaction score
- Your rig - Galaxy Note/iPhone 2g
- What type of usage - music usually (home and outside)
- File format used in your source - mostly mp3
- Genre of music you listen to - classical, trance, pop, acoustic (wide genre)
- Headphone / earphone type - headphone around ear (full sound isolation if possible)
- Other requirements - none other than sound isolation
- Budget - $80-120 or so

* Thought of getting CAL, but a friend of mine say it's sound isolation outside is not that good.

rerear

Reaction score
- Your rig - clip zip rockbox and fiio e6 - What type of usage - music (outside) - File format used in your source - mp3 - Genre of music you listen to - pop rock both languages - Headphone / earphone type - earphone with y neck (full sound isolation if possible) - Other requirements - better than previous ck7 and s4 - Budget - $120 or so

silvernoy

Reaction score
- Your rig - clip zip rockbox and fiio e6 - What type of usage - music (outside) - File format used in your source - mp3 - Genre of music you listen to - pop rock both languages - Headphone / earphone type - earphone with y neck (full sound isolation if possible) - Other requirements - better than previous ck7 and s4 - Budget - $120 or so

sennheiser cx-300 II. y-neck, sounds quite good for the genre you said.

remember to try first.

:)

ZippyRa

Reaction score
Hi looking for a new earphone......using A-jays2 now :D not very good at earphones so hoping to get some help here :D

- Your rig - Galaxynote / Ipod Nano G6
- What type of usage - Music
- File format used in your source - MP3
- Genre of music you listen to - Mostly Rock
- Headphone / earphone type - Prefer IEM
- Other requirements - best with control
- Budget (in figures) - SGD100

Reaction score
Hi looking for a new earphone......using A-jays2 now :D not very good at earphones so hoping to get some help here :D

- Your rig - Galaxynote / Ipod Nano G6
- What type of usage - Music
- File format used in your source - MP3
- Genre of music you listen to - Mostly Rock
- Headphone / earphone type - Prefer IEM
- Other requirements - best with control
- Budget (in figures) - SGD100

It is not possible to get inline control (especially for volume) that will work with both the Galaxies and iDevices.

You may want to checkout the Munitio Billets or the JBL REF225. Both with single button control and mic.

sunkissg

Reaction score
Decided to repost as I realize I cannot take iem very well, gonna stick to traditional earphones. Any recommendation? :) TIA

- Your rig (HTC OneX)
- What type of usage (music)
- File format used in your source (mp3 320kbps)
- Genre of music you listen to (Pop/vocal, electronic, instrumental)
- Headphone / earphone type (earphones only)
- Other requirements (if any) (can recommend a wireless one too?)
- Budget (100-150$)

ashketchum

Master Member
Reaction score
- Your rig - Ipod Classic/Govibe Martini
- What type of usage - Music, outdoors
- File format used in your source - apple lossless/320kbps mp3
- Genre of music you listen to - no specific genre, but mostly rock/jazz/pop
- Headphone / earphone type - IEM only please
- Other requirements (if any) - none
- Budget - around 600

Was looking at either the um3x or ie80. But for my budget can i get a better combination with a better amp?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.