Raspberry Pi the new simple SMALL PC

andre_flea

Reaction score
I don't think it performs better than p4.
But it's actually not bad, even folk on raspberrypi.org did the same thing. They use pi as a download server and apt repository. As long as you're not doing such a complicated process, it'll be fine.

@sammacito: I'm not using it as a media server. My media server is running on my macmini, but it's not 24x7 server. I mostly keep my mac on sleep an wake it up from pi once needed.
You're absolutely correct, pi is really a cheap alternative for proxy :D

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if got usb 3.0 will be even better, can be my small nas :sad:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if got usb 3.0 will be even better, can be my small nas :sad:

Don't expect too much from the Raspberry PI. It's has very sensitive voltage requirement. You can't have too much power consumption from the USB. You will definitely need a powered USB hub for such devices.

While using it myself, using a SDHC Class 10 together with the ethernet immediately render it unstable and the ethernet device which is part of the USB bus keep on dropping non-stop.

This is something I believe is not well tested and claimed to be working for particular SDCard online. I believe most higher than class 4 SD Card consume too much power that makes very little left for the USB bus.

Hence just use Raspberry PI for stuffs that doesn't demand too much on the power is more ideal.

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
What is the maximium overclock you guys got without overvolting it?
I got mine running at 950MHZ ARM Core 450 GPU Core 450 SDRAM.
With peripherals attached it crashed.
I guess there is insufficient power for it to operate at 950 MHZ, probably need a 1.5mA adapter.

Last edited:

hellhole

Reaction score
bought 2 from element yesterday at noon... today before noon got it! fast!

now need to play with it... want to buy some lego pieces! to fix it a casing!

KardBoard

Reaction score
went to see minimaker.a bit disappointed.not so exciting.there are arnd 3-4 local 3d printer on display.thought RS selling PI at the booth but no luck.

zabuton

Reaction score
Just ordered a few days ago from element14. Got it the very next day.

Then saw 512mb boards coming from element14. Also saw rev2 boards announcement. Oh well.

Installed adafruit and xmbc on 2 different sd cards. No case for it yet.

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seriously i got an email from Rs component saying its' being delayed another 8 weeks, damn pissed off already.

thinking of canceling my order with them

KardBoard

Reaction score
Bought a rev1 rasPi from element14 yesterday. Just walk into their office at tai seng drive - no need to order ahead. They have a sale counter at 3rd floor.

serious is it?like dat gonna try my luck next week.thanks for the info

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
waiting for my refunds from RS com, then i'll order from element14 instead.

damn RS waste so much of my time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.