BOSS Bidding

gxelan

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
couldnt get all my mods in the first window...

btw is LTB the CSP hard, and hard to score well?

LTB majority is fluff...CSP is not too difficult, but it's how u convinced to your prof that your CSP is not a one off event to help whichever beneficiary tt you might have chosen....

sustainability of CSP is quite crucial ....

v3ng3anc3z

Reaction score
3 bucks from min bid and 6 bucks from max bid, to me thats consider decent, and not overbid....thats because differential between lowest and bighest bid is 9 dollars, 50th percentile price differential is 4.50. You are well below that :)

You definitely will want to bid 3 bucks more than the min bid rather than lose out by 50 cents because u refuse to pay abit more. I have advice friends alot of times le, either u pay 3-4 bucks more for peace of mind, or risk not getting it and end up paying 10 bucks more at the next bidding window because u die die need that timeslot and prof because it will screw up ur timetable planning....

not exactly.....

there are only afew finance mods exp, finance101 and maybe wealth mgmt.

otherwise, most finance mods can be gotten at 10-15 edollars only...and while u r given 20 edollars per mod, its definitely more than enuff.

unless u arent business student, but want to take finance as 2nd major....else most other finance mods are cheap..the only expensive mods are mods which most students have to take..

haha, trust me on that i have seen the system from yr1 and this will be my last sem liao...lao jiao with bidding le

Assuming you bid something for 15 bucks, wIndow ends and you get It. Then now 0 vacancies. So no one will come bid for the slot right. So you wait until last hour and you go drop then you bid in again for next window at 10 bucks. You save money. Is this possible???

Last edited:

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
Assuming you bid something for 15 bucks. Then now 0 vacancies. So no one will come bid for the slot right. So you wait until last hour and you go drop then you bid in again at 10 bucks. Is this possible???

haahahahahahahah

agenda

Master Member
Reaction score
Assuming you bid something for 15 bucks, wIndow ends and you get It. Then now 0 vacancies. So no one will come bid for the slot right. So you wait until last hour and you go drop then you bid in again for next window at 10 bucks. You save money. Is this possible???

It's called sniping and there are people who snipe the snipers

gxelan

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

it's still a risk. That is because this technique is the most common technique being employed. You are not the first few who taught of this, and you won't be the last either...

Not that it won't succeed, I just want to highlight to you that, it is still possbile to enter a bid for the course even though it has no more vacancies. So yes, if people does put a bid at 15 edollars at 0 vacancies, while u try to drop and rebid at 10 edollars, u will end up losing ur place at a result.

And another point to make, there are people sniping during the last 5 minutes before window closes and snipe away people who do that. This technique is also very very common. I do that as well.

Hence, please do it at your own risk.

sogatda

Reaction score
ya i have programming background.

so which mod is advisable to take?
advisable to take 2 half mods (ct + as) or 1 full mod (stat101/ltb)?

thanks

Do you have background in programming? If yes, maybe take 1 or half a mod. If not, I suggest you keep your 20 bucks for next semester.

sogatda

Reaction score
Does sniping means after successfully bidded for a mod then you drop it at last minute to attempt to rebid at a lower price? with the risk of someone else rebidding higher than u to take the slot

Golden_Fox

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya i have programming background.

so which mod is advisable to take?
advisable to take 2 half mods (ct + as) or 1 full mod (stat101/ltb)?

thanks

LTB was very slack for me but I think the syllabus changed, I'm not very sure about this. Ask other seniors for more info. CT and AS are also very slack for me, I took them at year 1 but different terms.

But then again, I'm slack because I gave a heck care attitude and thus my results are horrible. If you don't care much about results, can try 5 CUs if you want. If you want to aim good results, I think better stick with 4 first especially if you just ORDed and too used to the relax life-style.

v3ng3anc3z

Reaction score
it's still a risk. That is because this technique is the most common technique being employed. You are not the first few who taught of this, and you won't be the last either...

Not that it won't succeed, I just want to highlight to you that, it is still possbile to enter a bid for the course even though it has no more vacancies. So yes, if people does put a bid at 15 edollars at 0 vacancies, while u try to drop and rebid at 10 edollars, u will end up losing ur place at a result.

And another point to make, there are people sniping during the last 5 minutes before window closes and snipe away people who do that. This technique is also very very common. I do that as well.

Hence, please do it at your own risk.

Once you drop a course, will the vacancy be updated IMMEDIATELY? TY

gxelan

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Once you drop a course, will the vacancy be updated IMMEDIATELY? TY

I cant be sure how immediate and how much time lag there is. But for thing for sure is, I cld catch many doing this and many have make use of this technique to snipe away vacancies also..

but that aside, there are those who know that actually just bid for zero vacancies slot if they are lazy to camp....

frayed

Reaction score
just make sure you note the fee policies for term 3. not sure what the fees are like now, but they used to be cheap in my freshman year. not so much in my second year... also note that term 3 is insufficient grounds for ns deferment if you do get called up. if things haven't changed, only the accounting students get any chance at a deferment based on their modified term 2.

another thing is that the summer term mod offerings are usually very limited (and usually the same year by year), so if you want to do summer term as a way of keeping up a 9 or 10 mod per year pace in the first couple of years (as i did, took it easy the first year to slowly get to speed from the ns coma), you should make sure you know what is usually available and what is not, or else summer mods won't even be an option for you.

one class that is usually considered for the summer term is finance 101, especially for the non-business freshmen due to the fact that any such freshmen is unlikely to be able to get a finance 101 place for a decently sized bid in their first year and maybe even in the second. not having finance 101 limits your choices of electives after that, so if you can get that done asap... another good option that is usually available (i think) is game theory, which is quite easy and fun.

if you have seniors who keep the old class listings of what course group was taught by which faculty member (from leo.smu.edu.sg), ask them for those excel files. if i remember correctly, the bid history only allows you to check the group number and course number. in other words, you can't even find out or match the class to a particular faculty member. having those files will help you figure out which profs are more "highly valued".

for example, in the past, when ang ser keng used to teach fiim, the max bids could go as high as 100 edollars because the other options were really quite terrible. knowing the past bid tendencies is useful. i think chiraphol used to have the highest finance 101 bids as well. i don't think i can remember any other profs with very high bids. maybe wang jiwei for analysis of financial statements, and this hong kong lady for managerial accounting? there used to be a prof who taught cat, and was the only prof to ignore the "must have client" requirement for the group project - he had high bids too, but he has left smu. business law... maybe loo wee ling or melvyn chew aka bibik belachan.

sogatda

Reaction score
Haha i am still confused about this term 3 thingy.. its only for those who to go at a faster pace right?
cos if theres fees involved, its like 1k per mod ><

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.