Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Silverboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, the set up was really easy.

What I didn't know was that the HK server isn't compatible with IOS devices, so it wouldn't work when I tried to use the service. Terrible support given to me by one of their staff caused me to wait 3 days to be told that information.

Now looking for a good VPN service so I can watch TVB dramas when I go over to my in-laws.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on a good VPN for watching PPS TVB drama on iPad?
Tried out Overplay's HK VPN but sadly turned into nothing but a hair yanking experience.

Unlike PPSTV on Mac, PPSTV on iPad works without a real China IP. But you do need a transparent proxy to insert in the IP X-Forwarded-For headers to "inform" the servers at PPS TV that you are actually in China. Of course, such method is abit more tedious, but no need to pay for anything extra if you already have a system that you can install virtual machines within the same network as your ipad.

Silverboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think BolehVPN supports PPTP on their HK server.
They only have a US PPTP server.
Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Unlike PPSTV on Mac, PPSTV on iPad works without a real China IP. But you do need a transparent proxy to insert in the IP X-Forwarded-For headers to "inform" the servers at PPS TV that you are actually in China. Of course, such method is abit more tedious, but no need to pay for anything extra if you already have a system that you can install virtual machines within the same network as your ipad.

Whoa, buddy...Thanks for trying to help but I totally don't understand at all.
Not really that good with networks.
Mind explaining more or pointing me to a page where I can learn more?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think BolehVPN supports PPTP on their HK server.
They only have a US PPTP server.
Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Whoa, buddy...Thanks for trying to help but I totally don't understand at all.
Not really that good with networks.
Mind explaining more or pointing me to a page where I can learn more?

Are you IT savvy in the industry ? I'm just giving people with such skill sets to setup web proxy that can bypass the loophole that PPSTV setup. If you are not, then just stick with paid VPN.

I don't see any page of such information around. This is kinda niche. Reason I use this method is because I know proxy on ipad will not work for PPSTV. They uses a local server running in the app to circumvent any proxy settings and will mess up the traffic flow of the application. The only way is intercept the application in the middle of the internet traffic for port 80 traffic via transparent proxy and insert the X-Forwarded-For header into the http traffic.

You will need the following skillset

1) Understand how network runs including the idea of gateway
2) Able to setup a Apache web server running as transparent proxy with the necessary headers changing configuration
3) Able to configure the linux server firewall to reroute http traffic into the local apache web server during ingress and proceed for egress via the web server

But all you get from these tedious work is no paid service required to watch TVB movies in your PPSTV ipad. Doesn't work for PPTV though.

Silverboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you IT savvy in the industry ? I'm just giving people with such skill sets to setup web proxy that can bypass the loophole that PPSTV setup. If you are not, then just stick with paid VPN.

I don't see any page of such information around. This is kinda niche. Reason I use this method is because I know proxy on ipad will not work for PPSTV. They uses a local server running in the app to circumvent any proxy settings and will mess up the traffic flow of the application. The only way is intercept the application in the middle of the internet traffic for port 80 traffic via transparent proxy and insert the X-Forwarded-For header into the http traffic.

You will need the following skillset

1) Understand how network runs including the idea of gateway
2) Able to setup a Apache web server running as transparent proxy with the necessary headers changing configuration
3) Able to configure the linux server firewall to reroute http traffic into the local apache web server during ingress and proceed for egress via the web server

But all you get from these tedious work is no paid service required to watch TVB movies in your PPSTV ipad. Doesn't work for PPTV though.
Thanks for elaborating further.
Unfortunately, I guess I will have to stick to paid VPN for the time being.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so for normal browsing US-blocked content in singapore, amazon ec2 is the one to choose from?

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
friends in china recommend FQVPN
so far so good. only downside is ..only 1 device per connection
but it's dirt cheap at RMB150/year

tested on iphone/ipad/macbook

segafan

Reaction score
bump!

was looking around for a vpn service and coincidentally I ended up here!
I'm keen to get "private internet access" (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/), though I'm not sure how the speed will be like in Singapore.

some sites I looked through:
Five Best VPN Service Providers
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

boleh vpn seems like a good candidate too coz all the other netizens says it has got excellent customer service and support.

--
Also, need all the bros opinion here..

I'm currently on normal cable connection and upgrading to fibre by the end of this year.
Would it make any significant difference in speed if I go over to fibre? Sorry, I'm quite an IT noob. I'm from an arts background..

Thanks all!

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any trials for VPN? like i just wanna test if using a VPN i can watch a certain show.
Cause i don't want to sign up and realize i can't watch anyway.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, does VPN service help in watching EPL matches over P2P streaming? If yes, which one is the recommended and how should I go about doing it?

JasK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am in China now, will be here for a while, having issues surfing.

Which is the most value for money option i have, in terms of easy to use vpn setup, just install and hassle free, not too technical.

Regards

bigbearbear

Reaction score
Hi.
Not familiar with VPN.
Can some nice ppl suggest good and cheap VPN for access to hong kong? Eg that allows me to watch tvb.com from singapore whilst using VPN and Hk ip.

Thanks very much for ur help

wira

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi
can anyone advise how do i setup VPN in order for my AppleTV / PS3 to be able to access Hulu and Netflix ?

anyone using unblock-us.com DNS service ? Seems easy to use without installing any VPN client. It works on my PC as i can now watch hulu on PC but somehow i cant get it to work on my PS3 / appleTv.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HK bo leh...if have let me know also as can watch TVB channel :)

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am in China now, will be here for a while, having issues surfing.

Which is the most value for money option i have, in terms of easy to use vpn setup, just install and hassle free, not too technical.

Regards

using FQVPN for a mth now. for such price. really worth it

souwes

Reaction score
I am currently using this vpn service http://www.cactusvpn.com. You may want to try the free signup which enable you to have a 24 hours free trial using either their US, UK or NL vpn. No credit card needed unlike many others vpn providers that either do not offers trial or they requires ton of information before letting you try so you got nothing to lose.

I personally tried this is China and I have no problem accessing facebook and youtube. So far the speed is quite smooth and the price is unbeatable, only US$38.99 per year. They also offer you a 30day money back guarantee.

Maybe the only downside is that you need to choose a specific server like either US or UK. For me, I chose the UK vpn because I use it to watch mainly bbc channels and for the Euro period which can be stream online using iplayer. I can only say it is smooth and better than those unstable streaming websites. Haha.. Sorry Singtel and Starhub.

Anyway, sorry for the WOT. Just wanted to provide my 2cents. :s12:

Last edited:

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am using UnoTelly free trial now and works fantastic with my fibre connection! Only need to change the dns servers and you are all set. Only email address is needed for 7 days trial offer, highly recommend it to those who are interested to watch netflix hulu iplayer services etc.

http://www.unotelly.com

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.