Recommended Cat Food & Shops in Singapore

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Read from the start of this thread.

I much prefer to see what evidence you cite for 'harmful additives' is added to pet food. The one you mentioned in page one of this thread deals with the melamine tainted pet food. Melamine is not a food additive routinely added to any food at all

Yowzer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already here I have just conveniently mentioned excessive color agents & intentionally salted food. Strangely, that didn't register. That's why it's better you search on your own for whatever purposes. Things like the harmful effects of a high salt diet can be easily found.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already here I have just conveniently mentioned excessive color agents & intentionally salted food. Strangely, that didn't register. That's why it's better you search on your own for whatever purposes. Things like the harmful effects of a high salt diet can be easily found.

I find your allegations of "harmful additives" questionable, hence my request that you show evidence for it. You side track and mention "excessive" colouring agents and insinuate that pet foods are "intentionally" salted for consumption. I think you need to be able to defend your stance before throwing it on the floor.

My question is:
1) If pet food are highly salted, against what benchmark do you measure salt consumption in companion animals?

2) What kind of "harmful additives" are added to pet food?

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
There's a brand of dry cat food named: ProNature selling at Pet lovers Centre. It costs $45 for a bag of 2.25kg, $7 for a sample pack. The pet lover centre staff was promoting it and said it contains premium ingredients. Anyone tried tat brand for their cats???

chrislzh

Reaction score
I stopped going to pet lover centre after I worked part time there and the staffs there are suppose to bad mouth all other brands and get the customers to buy the brands that give them the most margin.

They don't care about the pets. They are just money grabber.so sick of them

chrislzh

Reaction score
Don't know about others. I physically tasted the whiskas to see if it's salty, surpisingly it's not and I learn that if the pet shop guys are telling you that this brand is not good, reality is the brand is good.

CatLuVer

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I stopped going to pet lover centre after I worked part time there and the staffs there are suppose to bad mouth all other brands and get the customers to buy the brands that give them the most margin.

Thks for e info :eek:

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Don't know about others. I physically tasted the whiskas to see if it's salty, surpisingly it's not and I learn that if the pet shop guys are telling you that this brand is not good, reality is the brand is good.

whiskas has byproducts and fillers. how is it good?

Yowzer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mercenary sales people will always push for any brands which gives a higher margins whenever they have a range. I try my best to avoid PLC unless urgent. Many us are desensitized to salt due to our high salt diet. A common reason for them in commcercial foods is to preserve it for a longer shelf life.

Yowzer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whiskas has byproducts and fillers. how is it good?

I agree we need to evaluate beyond what advertising claims. All the brands will state they are nutritionally complete. But a brand containing high protein may come from good quality protein or poor ones.

To simplify matters, just take an obvious approach. Why subject your beloved pet to a daily consumption of chemical food coloring for their lifespan?

applefreak

Reaction score

what is not salty to us may contain too much salt for our cats
an old lady ever told me she buys steamed fish from the mixed rice stall for her cat everyday
to her not salty, but her cat died of renal failure in the end

for me, i stopped feeding whiskas/friskies because the vet said so
my cat had urinary tract infection and the vet asked me what i feed
when i told her friskies, she told me to stop immediately coz these are too salty for cats
after i stopped, my cat never had UTI again... (that's twelve years ago)

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
what is not salty to us may contain too much salt for our cats
an old lady ever told me she buys steamed fish from the mixed rice stall for her cat everyday
to her not salty, but her cat died of renal failure in the end

for me, i stopped feeding whiskas/friskies because the vet said so
my cat had urinary tract infection and the vet asked me what i feed
when i told her friskies, she told me to stop immediately coz these are too salty for cats
after i stopped, my cat never had UTI again... (that's twelve years ago)
whiskas/friskies or any other brand which you can find in supermarkets contain fillers/wheat/byproducts. avoid it at all costs.

anyway, advice them to feed raw fish. tell them cats in nature eats raw meat, they dont cook their own meat and they are not humans.

applefreak

Reaction score
i'm now using wellness, alternating between core and salmon

i won't advice raw unless a lot of research has been done
unless can feed the bird whole i.e. including the contents in the stomach :D

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
you do know it is natural that cats evolved by hunting their prey and eating them raw.

kimwee

Master Member
Reaction score

I think not only plc, the other major pet chain store also like that. But even u say want boycott them also hard cos lack of alternative. If u say buy from small pet shops a lot of times they r also getting some products from the pet chains who themselves r distributors.

chrislzh

Reaction score
Thanks for all the exchanges. Valued that sincerely. So far, I had not have any problem with whiskas, and also value for money for me. On and off I will feed my cat some wet to mix.

Any one can explain the difference between the wet can vs the wet pouch?

My friends in Australia and USA told me that Sheba is a premium quality stuffs

Didjerama

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm now using wellness, alternating between core and salmon

i won't advice raw unless a lot of research has been done
unless can feed the bird whole i.e. including the contents in the stomach :D

It is. Known fact that domesticated cats live longer than wild cats
But that is cos wild cats are exposed to diseases,food poisoning, wounds,maggots etc

Having said that going raw is not wrong,if u are damn sure what u feeding ur cat is CLEAN and no parasite inside

I tried steamed fish fr my cats,epic failure.the sniff one time dun wan oredi.at best i can go is canned food.

I intend to get a few of those barf samples fron the website to let my cats try

To me its not going barf but giving an all rounded meal of both canned, few varieties of dry (orijen,totw,wellness) and barf.

I realise when u go variety,ur cat stops bugging u during ur meals cos they are satisfied with their meals

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.