Microsoft Surface

OnLyOnE

Reaction score
Can they make up their bloody mind! What exactly is MS Surface?! That table thingy you see in Running Man Episode 106 is MS Surface then they name their Win8 tablet Surface... what exactly is Surface...

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can they make up their bloody mind! What exactly is MS Surface?! That table thingy you see in Running Man Episode 106 is MS Surface then they name their Win8 tablet Surface... what exactly is Surface...
they rename the table to something else liao
the tablet is now surface.

dongdong88

Reaction score
I think it's OK. Microsoft doesn't want to harm the partnerships it has with the various OEMs.

ashhong

Reaction score

now i can't imagine the pricing for Pro.

I think it's OK. Microsoft doesn't want to harm the partnerships it has with the various OEMs.

can't say much about RT since i am not really interested. only interested in Pro, there won't be much harm for the OEM. for x64, OEM doesn't really have a second choice of OS, they can only go with Windows or Linux in which Linux won't generate sale from the general consumers.

dongdong88

Reaction score
can't say much about RT since i am not really interested. only interested in Pro, there won't be much harm for the OEM. for x64, OEM doesn't really have a second choice of OS, they can only go with Windows or Linux in which Linux won't generate sale from the general consumers.

Actually, when MS decides to produce their own tablet, several OEMs have complained (Acer, HP, Dell, etc). These few OEMs are big players where x86/x64 OS are concerned.

The pricing is the one critical deciding factor whether they would abandon MS.

Therefore, the pricing of RT will be a gauge of the Pro's pricing and the OEMs' next step. If RT pricing is very attractive, Pro's pricing is unlikely to be unattractive, and they may consider moving to other OSes.

At this stage, Microsoft cannot afford to lose partnerships. Windows 8 has lots of detractors.

As you state, Linux generally won't generate sales. Them moving to Linux is probably not financially wise. But staying with MS is also not wise either, as Microsoft is now competing with them.

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can explain who are these OEM you are referring to? In what way is ms competing with them?

dongdong88

Reaction score
Those who make PCs. HP, Acer, Dell, etc.

MS is competing them because they are now coming up and marketing their own products, which have traditionally been done by them.

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
been looking at the specs page, but still dun quite understand, so a few noob questions...

1. Surface Pro besides being able to run MSOffice, can it run 3rd-party software?
--- They said "can run all of the applications that you’ve used on previous version of Windows", bt i dunnoe if their applications refer to software programmes?
--- I am referring to software like programming software R, SPSS etc.

2. Their 64/128gb is ssd? or flash memory?

actually i want sth like ultrabook X tablet, so dunnoe if Surface Pro is one or not =/

dongdong88

Reaction score
Surface Pro is your Windows PC/laptop/ultrabook --> This one can run whatever you used to run on Windows. There shouldn't be any issue running the programming software, except that it's not going to be user-friendly.

Surface RT is like the bigger version of Windows Phone --> Apps from Marketplace or wherever you find them.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Given that the Surface RT is basically something akin to high end Android tablets or iPads, the pricing really that surprising meh? Or are people getting disappointed over nothing? At the end of the day, the most important thing is how much of Windows 8 functionality is shafted from W8 RT.

Twisticles

Reaction score

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Is that any more or less retarded than Apple's iPad pricing?

USD499 gets either Surface 32Gb or iPad 16Gb
USD599 gets either surface 32Gb w/touch type cover or iPad 32Gb
USD699 gets either Surface 64Gb w/touch type cover or iPad 64GB.

I think the Surface is quite favourable in pricing compared to the iPad at least.

Yea, but everybody knows iPads and Apple products in general are overpriced.

Admittedly, my assessment yesterday was a little short sighted. I read a few articles and commentaries and revised to think it's not that unreasonably priced.

If I have to choose between a 16GB iPad 3, 32GB iPad 2 and 32GB Surface RT, I'd easily pick the Surface - more memory with expandable memory, USB, kickstand, 16:9, comparable resolution (to the iPad 2).

I would definitely hold out for the Pro version, though. I hope it costs less than a MBA 11" i5.

Last edited:

fantasy87

Reaction score
Yea, but everybody knows iPads and Apple products in general are overpriced.

Admittedly, my assessment yesterday was a little short sighted. I read a few articles and commentaries and revised to think it's not that unreasonably priced.

If I have to choose between a 16GB iPad 3, 32GB iPad 2 and 32GB Surface RT, I'd easily pick the Surface - more memory with expandable memory, USB, kickstand, 16:9, comparable resolution (to the iPad 2).

I would definitely hold out for the Pro version, though. I hope it costs less than a MBA 11" i5.

expandable memory?? do you mean disk space or ram? this information was released?

edit: saw the disk space expandable with card...

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
There shouldn't be any issue running the programming software, except that it's not going to be user-friendly.
User friendliness these days = familiarity with that interface. Win 7 is as user friendly as OSX. Many detractors are complaining not because Metro is not user friendly, rather they're not familiar with it.

I've been using Win8 on a TabletPC on regular keyboard & Trackpad for 4 months. Now that I've installed back my Win7 SSD to get ready for Win8 launch, I find the Start Menu so lame. :s13:

expandable memory?? do you mean disk space or ram? this information was released?

edit: saw the disk space expandable with card...
The Surface will be not upgradeable because everything is soldered on. At least, that's what I can tell from their animation.

now i can't imagine the pricing for Pro.

Expect Surface Pro 64GB to be USD1000-1200 with Touch Cover. Add USD200 for 128GB version + USD35 for Video-out since most TV don't have DisplayPort.

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
Surface Pro is your Windows PC/laptop/ultrabook --> This one can run whatever you used to run on Windows. There shouldn't be any issue running the programming software, except that it's not going to be user-friendly.

Surface RT is like the bigger version of Windows Phone --> Apps from Marketplace or wherever you find them.

thanks! if using w e keyboard, i think shld be ok.

yeah saw that...
now left ram and batt life to consider...

Pro gt 4gb RAM.

bt if Pro gonna be priced so high, then i guess might be better to get ultrabook instead. =(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.